Swapping ba10 to ax15. speedo gear? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Swapping ba10 to ax15. speedo gear?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 02-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #76
huskerconan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I actually had the motor and tranny at different angles and no help. Got a buddy coming over tomorrow to help me jersey it around. So to answer my first question. The bolt patterns are all the same on the bellhousing, right? Thanks

huskerconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #77
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerconan
I actually had the motor and tranny at different angles and no help. Got a buddy coming over tomorrow to help me jersey it around. So to answer my first question. The bolt patterns are all the same on the bellhousing, right? Thanks
Should be a direct swap, yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #78
huskerconan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Funny, went out with my buddy and we messed around with the angles of the tranny and it bolted right up. This is making me look bad. I did notice one thing. When I was working on the new speedo gear the gear did not snap up into the new adapter I ordered. That you found on ebay. I installed the adapter with new gear before putting cable on and it seemed the gear was not moving up or down and seemed to feel right. The cable screwed right in. Does this seem right? I thought the gear would snap into the adapter. Thanks
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #79
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It should just slide into it. The gear shaft should have a small square hole in the end and the speedo cable end should be square. The square end of the speedo cable goes into the square hole on the gear shaft.
Quote:
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #80
huskerconan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So like I said the speedo gear seemed to be in place when I slid it and the adapter into the case. Does the end of the gear ride against something inside? It seems right but if I undo the retaining bolt and slide the whole thing back out of the case the gear is left behind, not like the stock setup where the gear stays attached to the cable. Also when I removed the gear from my stock adapter it snapped off, hence the question. Thanks
Unread 02-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #81
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerconan View Post
So like I said the speedo gear seemed to be in place when I slid it and the adapter into the case. Does the end of the gear ride against something inside? It seems right but if I undo the retaining bolt and slide the whole thing back out of the case the gear is left behind, not like the stock setup where the gear stays attached to the cable. Also when I removed the gear from my stock adapter it snapped off, hence the question. Thanks
Yes, when you install it, you will see a series of numbers marked on the retainer you bought off ebay. You will also see a raised bump on the transfer case. You rotate the gear assembly so that the series of numbers closest to your gear size is beside the raised bump on the transfer case. The gear rides on the output shaft in the TC. That is essentially how you install the speedo gear. Then tighten down the fork to hold it in place. The fork will ride in two of the small cutouts on the gear assembly.

NOTE* - when you are turning the gear assembly, turn it gently until it is snug.
Quote:
Unread 03-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #82
huskerconan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So........tranny is in and test drive was real good, except the speedo does not work. I think I need to rotate the gear, it must not be meshing quite right. I'm just happy it runs right now. Thanks for all the help
Unread 03-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #83
huskerconan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Rotated speedo gear till gears were meshed. Works now but sure seems off with speed. Oh well it works and that's all the wife requires. Replaced real seal but leaks a little. Did before swap so we're used to it. Thanks for all the help
Unread 03-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #84
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Glad you got it going.
Quote:
Unread 03-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #85
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The seal on the transfer case leaks? Easy replacement, just know that the TC fluid will leak when you pull the driveshaft. I have jacked up the back of mine to reduce the leakage.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #86
Fjbesaw1
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just replaced the output seal on mine. Easy job to do. Only lost maybe a cup of fluid. The seal itself is cheap 15 bucks or so. My yj sat for a few months while I was overseas. Started leaking a few weeks after I got it back on the road. Annoying to see fluid under it. Especially after 100% fluid change.
Fjbesaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #87
huskerconan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I did replace it already but it still leaks. I cleaned shaft on drive shaft also. Who knows. It isn't a jeep if it doesn't leave behind its mark. Thanks
Unread 03-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #88
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerconan View Post
I did replace it already but it still leaks. I cleaned shaft on drive shaft also. Who knows. It isn't a jeep if it doesn't leave behind its mark. Thanks
I have been told that those yokes can wear down over time and leak a small bit. The only fix was to replace the yoke. I left mine and am just going to fix it when I replace it with a slip yoke eliminator.
Quote:
Unread 03-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #89
huskerconan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That's kinda what I figured. That's also my plan. Plus with the little bit of fluid that gets slung on the bottom of tub it's preventing rust, lol. The tranny has acquired a small whine coming from the gears. I put 10-30 in initially but gonna drain and put syncromesh in. It's not real bad but seems it needs a thicker fluid. Thoughts?
Unread 03-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #90
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If your TC leaks at the seal shortly after you replaced it then first check where the driveshaft sits in the TC seal. Make sure there's no crud buildup on the shaft. If so take 0000 steel wool and clean the shaft and see if that addresses the leak. If the shaft's already in good shape the next thing to try is replace the rear housing bearing in the TC (It's a b***h at home unless you have a press) or just replace the whole housing. Install new seal and your problems should be solved.

Here's the bushing at $11.00

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52201_01.htm

$40 for the whole housing:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52240_00.htm
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.