Swapping ba10 to ax15. speedo gear? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Swapping ba10 to ax15. speedo gear?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 01-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #61
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerconan View Post
Thought I'd add, JeepGuy, its posters like you that make this the best jeep site. I don't post much, ask a few questions. There is always someone who helps no matter the subjest. Never have to go anywhere else. Thanks again
Thanks for the compliment. I am glad I could help you. I agree this site rocks. I knew a little about Jeeps before joining jeepforum.com, but this site and the wealth of knowledge it holds has really fed my obsession. This site has a bunch of really smart people who contribute to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #62
huskerconan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Another question, this is a picture of the old speedo gear ( blue) and the new speedo gear. On the end of the cable I have attached the new adapter I just got thanks to YOU jeep guy, lol. So I will need to get the longer shanked speedo gear right? I'm gonna have to do some research, Thanks
huskerconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #63
huskerconan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry here's the picture, lol
jeep-speedo-gear.jpg  
Unread 01-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #64
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Another question, this is a picture of the old speedo gear ( blue) and the new speedo gear. On the end of the cable I have attached the new adapter I just got thanks to YOU jeep guy, lol. So I will need to get the longer shanked speedo gear right? I'm gonna have to do some research, Thanks
Yes. You need the long shaft speedo gear. You can get it here on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150995815407...S:1123&vxp=mtr

That is the 26 tooth gear. Your tooth count requirement may be different than mine. I needed the 26 tooth gear. American Hot Rod Solutions is where I bought mine. This is their website: http://www.americanhotrodsolutions.com/

The ebay link is their ebay store. Call and ask for Kerry. Their number is 318-208-4184. I spoke with him about my setup and he was very helpful.
Quote:
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
Unread 01-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #65
huskerconan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ordered. Like a total hack I asked the question first before actually looking for myself. I went to Quadratec and found the size I needed off their chart and then jumped on ebay and found the gear. That is the company I ordered from also, look out jeep guy I'm starting to think like you, lol. Thanks for the help. Hopefully we have the tranny in this weekend, still waiting on the pilot bushing. Hopefully all goes well. Any other pieces of advice would be helpful on the install. The jeep had about a three inch BL on it right now so it is really easy to yank the tranny with the extral room.
Unread 01-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #66
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ordered. Like a total hack I asked the question first before actually looking for myself. I went to Quadratec and found the size I needed off their chart and then jumped on ebay and found the gear. That is the company I ordered from also, look out jeep guy I'm starting to think like you, lol. Thanks for the help. Hopefully we have the tranny in this weekend, still waiting on the pilot bushing. Hopefully all goes well. Any other pieces of advice would be helpful on the install. The jeep had about a three inch BL on it right now so it is really easy to yank the tranny with the extral room.
When you install the speedo gear, rub a little vaseline on the shaft so it stays put in the housing while you are installing. Also put a little vaseline on the o ring so you can turn it a little easier during the installation. This video is for a TJ, but it should give you the general idea on how to install it:

Quote:
Unread 01-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #67
huskerconan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Another question. So I screwed on the adapter that I ordered so there is the end of the cable (square end) that go into the adapter. When I snap on the new gear do I need to worry about the cable end lining up with the gear shaft? Or will it line itself up, Usually square ends don't just adjust on their own, usually I would think they have to be lined up. Maybe I'm over thinking this. Thanks
Unread 01-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #68
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerconan
Another question. So I screwed on the adapter that I ordered so there is the end of the cable (square end) that go into the adapter. When I snap on the new gear do I need to worry about the cable end lining up with the gear shaft? Or will it line itself up, Usually square ends don't just adjust on their own, usually I would think they have to be lined up. Maybe I'm over thinking this. Thanks
Yes it should line up. You can install the gear, install the cable. And install the housing. That way, you can make sure the cable and gear are lined up correctly before you install the housing in the TC. And yes you are over thinking this.
Quote:
Unread 01-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #69
huskerconan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #70
huskerconan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Tonight I rented a pilot bushing puller and the old bushing came right out, something is gonna go wrong that was too easy. Anyway got the new bushing installed and clutch bolted up. Hopefully tuomorrow night we should get the tranny up and in. When I picked up the new tranny I also got the skid plate so I shouldn't have any troubles. I purchased new mount and torque stud hopefully got everything I need. Will keep updated. Thanks
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #71
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Good to hear it is working out for you.
Quote:
Unread 02-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #72
huskerconan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So I finally got time and weather permitting we got the tranny up mated to the motor. I am able to install the two side bolts and starter but cannot for the life of me get the two top bellhousing bolts in. I was convinced it was the shield getting in the way but its like the bolt holes are off a little bit. Is this possible that the bolt patterns are not the same? Thanks
Unread 02-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #73
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So I finally got time and weather permitting we got the tranny up mated to the motor. I am able to install the two side bolts and starter but cannot for the life of me get the two top bellhousing bolts in. I was convinced it was the shield getting in the way but its like the bolt holes are off a little bit. Is this possible that the bolt patterns are not the same? Thanks
Refresh my memory. Is this an AX15 you are installing? Mating to a 4.2? Are you starting all the bolts before you tighten all bolts? If you are wrenching down the bolts before you get all of them started, that might be your problem. Any pics?
Quote:
Unread 02-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #74
huskerconan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes internal slave ax15. I've tried to even put the top bolts in without any other bolts in and still no luck. I kept thinking it had something to do with the shield. I realized once the tranny was slid into place that the alignment pins are missing on the new tranny which would let the shield move around. I used alignment rods to line up the shield and it just seems I am using the wrong bolts, I triple checked this. One other problem I had on the install was the tranny didn't want to slide flush to the motor, like mabe 1\2" away. I prefitted the new pilot bushing and it was tight but slid on so I got some longer bolts for the two side bolts and pulled it together. I eased each side a turn or two and it slid right together just tight. I think we had the motor jacked to high after I was messing with the top bolts I ended up lowering the motor down to get the top of the housing to come to the motor. Anyway, I've had the other tranny out a couple times so this is not my first rodeo it just seems the bellhousing is not right. Gonna pull the tranny back out tomorrow I guess and check it out, don't really want to if I don't have to, it was a *****. The ax15 is definately heavier. Thanks and sorry I started another thread with this same question, was not getting any replies.
Unread 02-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #75
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerconan
Yes internal slave ax15. I've tried to even put the top bolts in without any other bolts in and still no luck. I kept thinking it had something to do with the shield. I realized once the tranny was slid into place that the alignment pins are missing on the new tranny which would let the shield move around. I used alignment rods to line up the shield and it just seems I am using the wrong bolts, I triple checked this. One other problem I had on the install was the tranny didn't want to slide flush to the motor, like mabe 1\2" away. I prefitted the new pilot bushing and it was tight but slid on so I got some longer bolts for the two side bolts and pulled it together. I eased each side a turn or two and it slid right together just tight. I think we had the motor jacked to high after I was messing with the top bolts I ended up lowering the motor down to get the top of the housing to come to the motor. Anyway, I've had the other tranny out a couple times so this is not my first rodeo it just seems the bellhousing is not right. Gonna pull the tranny back out tomorrow I guess and check it out, don't really want to if I don't have to, it was a *****. The ax15 is definately heavier. Thanks and sorry I started another thread with this same question, was not getting any replies.
So it sounds like you have it installed flush and fitting as it should? If so, I would test it before I pulled it again. It sounds like the bell housing was not lining up correctly to the block because of the motor angle. The bolts have have been trying to cross thread because of the slight angle. Glad you got it figured out.
Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.