Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

swapping axle shafts

455 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  YJames90 
#1 ·
I have a d30/35 combo in my dd. I also wheel it pretty hard and am taking it to a ORV park at the end of the month and am worried about breaking an axle shaft. I have 3.73's in said jeep and I have a parts jeep with d30/35 combo but 4.10's. Will the axle shafts work out of the parts jeep for my dd if I break one?

#2 ·
They should. What year are the parts shafts? Same gen will work. If 95 the front ujoint might be bigger (297 instead of 260 series) they'll still fit just don't try and put the wrong size joint in it one day

#3 ·
Is the parts Jeep a disconnect axle? Is your Jeep a disconnect axle? (Passenger front).

Is your D35 C-clip? Is the parts D35 C-clip?

I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to break an open D30/D35 unless there's lots of binding, bouncing, or throttle. I'd be more worried about the front axle U joints if they are 260's.

#7 ·
THe first time will take forever! Once you get the hub off sand down the area that goes into the axle. It will help slide in easier.
I have 7 complete hub/u joint/shaft setups to change on the trail. I can change one in 20 minutes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.