The swap is offically underway... - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The swap is offically underway...

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-26-2006, 06:34 PM   #91
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
The tub is on and bolted down!!!!
thank god....everything fitted like a glove! the t/case is resting directly on the skid plate, so scott suggested me just cutting a square hole in the skid plate and that will fix it.
there was only 3 of us and a cherry picker for the body swap, but it went ok, finally.... cheers again scott!
got plenty of room between the motor and the firewall, and lots of room for the exhaust on each side. have about 2-3" to spare in height from the air cleaner to the hood also.
will post a few pics up later, going to go out for a while...need to run a few errands.
thanks god for triple checking measurements! was a big relief day today..
it now has a tub!
Glad to hear everything went well. sorry i havent gotten back to you with the measurements, been really busy with some work and remodeling the basement/den. IF you still need the measurements let me know and i will get out there tomorrow and measure it and send you the numbers.

Need pictures of your progress

GM 5.7 TBI V8, 700R4, NP231C/J, 4.5" RE HD lift, SYE, Tom Woods rear DS, Winch w/synthetic line, Tomken Bumpers, Optima dual batteries, Custom electric fan, LED Tail Lights, York On-Board-Air Setup, 1991 Celica GT seats, Home made snorkel.... Also Dana HP60 front and Dana 60 Rear are now being installed SOA.

Engine under construction again, 4.3 out and 5.7 going in..

My DIY Snorkel write up Click here.....Homemade Snorkel
Chevy 4.3 Conversion Click here.....4.3 Chevy Conversion
KrwlinYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 06:41 PM   #92
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

here are the pics of today......
2 hard working guys out of breath and looking for alcohol...
me-n-scott.jpg
tombraiders best feature... that and his strong muscles...
scottass.jpg
soa + 2.5" ome springs + stock wheels = retarded...
smallwheels.jpg
firewall clearance.....can get to the bellhousing bolts from under the hood!
firewall.jpg
plenty of height clearance...
height.jpg
next up will be the wiring, what fun....
do i use the jeep fusebox or the chevy one rob??
and the damn remote oil filter lines are hitting the steering shaft, so looks like i'll be doing the oil filter to the block fix! quicker than messing with those damn lines i reckon...
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 06:45 PM   #93
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
IF you still need the measurements let me know and i will get out there tomorrow and measure it and send you the numbers.
too late i thinks rob! but thanks anyways! i put the motor mounts 29" from the front crossmember to the front of the motor mount plate of the frame. you can kinda see the height i set it at. worked out good, have lots of room all around it and above also.
did you use the jeep or the chevy fusebox??
will be looking at the wiring when i get back in around x-mas. got a few jobs on the truck to do tommorow, then have to leave out early tues and be 600 miles away tuesday night...time to go back to work for a break!

Choose wisely!
Unread 11-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #94
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
too late i thinks rob! but thanks anyways! i put the motor mounts 29" from the front crossmember to the front of the motor mount plate of the frame. you can kinda see the height i set it at. worked out good, have lots of room all around it and above also.
did you use the jeep or the chevy fusebox??
will be looking at the wiring when i get back in around x-mas. got a few jobs on the truck to do tommorow, then have to leave out early tues and be 600 miles away tuesday night...time to go back to work for a break!
i kept the stock jeep fuse box for all the jeep stuff and just added an aux fuse box(powered off a heavyduty relay the is key switched) for the other stuff like the computer.

GM 5.7 TBI V8, 700R4, NP231C/J, 4.5" RE HD lift, SYE, Tom Woods rear DS, Winch w/synthetic line, Tomken Bumpers, Optima dual batteries, Custom electric fan, LED Tail Lights, York On-Board-Air Setup, 1991 Celica GT seats, Home made snorkel.... Also Dana HP60 front and Dana 60 Rear are now being installed SOA.

Unread 11-26-2006, 07:24 PM   #95
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

cool deal, sounds like the easiest way to me! i was trying to keep the jeep box, and then either piggyback off it or add a few more fuses to it like you did! i had a look at the painless instructions, got a headache, put them away and smoked a few cigarettes....
did you use the jeep throttle cable or the chevy one? i got the jeep one on there but it is only just long enough, and am concerned about it not fully releasing..
was really impressed with the b&m shifter, fits real nice!
i managed to get the chevy tbi fuel pump into the jeep sender unit, was a bit of a pain in the rear, but got it in there and pumping right.

i will also be going thru all the sensors aswell when i next get in, no point rebuilding a motor and having a bad sensor huh?

will be ordering a few parts aswell......
tranny cooler for the 700r4.
full DOM roll cage. (poison spider full trail cage from dc4wd)
sorting out the remote oil filter bits n pieces.
new kickdown cable, the plastic part that goes onto the throttle body has a little bit broken off it.
new front spring perches should be here this week, so the front will be soa aswell as the rear.

will also be welding on the tire carrier, after welding a piece of 1/4" plate all the way across the crappy rear crossmember.....

and i do this for fun?!?!?!?!?!?!

Choose wisely!
Unread 11-26-2006, 07:50 PM   #96
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
cool deal, sounds like the easiest way to me! i was trying to keep the jeep box, and then either piggyback off it or add a few more fuses to it like you did! i had a look at the painless instructions, got a headache, put them away and smoked a few cigarettes....
did you use the jeep throttle cable or the chevy one? i got the jeep one on there but it is only just long enough, and am concerned about it not fully releasing..
was really impressed with the b&m shifter, fits real nice!
i managed to get the chevy tbi fuel pump into the jeep sender unit, was a bit of a pain in the rear, but got it in there and pumping right.

i will also be going thru all the sensors aswell when i next get in, no point rebuilding a motor and having a bad sensor huh?

will be ordering a few parts aswell......
tranny cooler for the 700r4.
full DOM roll cage. (poison spider full trail cage from dc4wd)
sorting out the remote oil filter bits n pieces.
new kickdown cable, the plastic part that goes onto the throttle body has a little bit broken off it.
new front spring perches should be here this week, so the front will be soa aswell as the rear.

will also be welding on the tire carrier, after welding a piece of 1/4" plate all the way across the crappy rear crossmember.....

and i do this for fun?!?!?!?!?!?!
I used the chevy throttle cable, it worked like a charm..
as far as the remote oil filter , i am going to do away with it and just mount the oil filter right to the block. but iam going to do that when i do the next oil change, this way i can do the filter and a new oil pan, for my old on had the drain plug striped out and i had to use one of the repair kits...
Tell you nothing but a money pit.

just wanted to give you a little tease..

Last edited by KrwlinYJ; 11-26-2006 at 08:02 PM..
Unread 11-26-2006, 08:03 PM   #97
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

now i see why you made the snorkel.........
good deal on the throttle cable, i will get the chevy one out of the blazer tommorow, want a little more slack than i got now....
when you get a parts list for the remote filter thing, lemme know and i'll get the stuff i need. will be quicker than screwing with the lines tryin to get them around the steering shaft.
that chevy pump works good in the jeep tank, gotta cut down the filter tube and make a notch in the retainer at the bottom of the sender unit, and thats it! mind, tossed a coin and wired it the wrong way the first time....duh!
after i switched the wires, works good... spewed about a gallon into the gas can... they are wired opposite than the jeep ones by the way. if you do the swap, the positive on the jeep pump, is negative on the chevy....just fyi.

Choose wisely!
Unread 11-26-2006, 09:11 PM   #98
JaySpencer66
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Jeeze, now I feel like a total slacker, because all I did today was put my newly repaired and repainted flares back on my truck! Looking awesome!!!
[color=#996600]/l[/color][color=#000000] , [/color][color=#996600] [[/color][color=#000000]____[/color][color=#996600]][/color],
[color=#996600]l---L--[color=#CCCCCC][][/color][color=#996600]lllllll[/color][color=#CCCCCC][][/color]-[/color]
[color=#000000][b]()_) ()_)[/b]----[b])_)[/b]
[/color][Url=http://www.deepblueforum.com]Deep Blue Forum[/url]
Member #1 of the "I Hate Torx Club!"
~anyone with a Jeep is an automatic member, and anyone can be member #1~
JaySpencer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 09:22 PM   #99
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Jeeze, now I feel like a total slacker, because all I did today was put my newly repaired and repainted flares back on my truck! Looking awesome!!!
thanks jay. i wish all i had to do was put a few fenders on....
i think isee the end in sight now though, i can feel like i am making progress now its kinda together.... was a hard struggle when i had the motor apart, getting bored over, and doing a head job on the heads etc etc etc. couldnt see any progress then! been a good week though, the motor was still apart on the top end when i got home monday night, and now its in the freshly painted frame with the body on it!! wooohooooo........and now i say screw it till christmas, had enough of it for one week...
i appreciate the compliment!
martin

Choose wisely!
Unread 11-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #100
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

quick update.......
now i have left the house for another month, the mountain offroad soa perches are due to be delivered tommorow! always happens....
ordered and paid for the poison spyder full cage kit from dc4wd, he has the best price by far, cheers scott for finding that "bargain", it was soooo cheap i HAD to buy one...
will be looking for a tranny oil cooler while i am out aswell, need to keep that 700r4 nice n cool. my radiator has a tranny cooler built into it, but i would feel better having a seperate cooler for the tranny, cheap insurance... any recommendations as far as tranny coolers go???? i dont really like the ones that just have a rubber line and hose clamps, prefer a cooler that has the an fittings like the tranny does...seems to be stronger and more reliable than just a rubber hose and a clamp... ideas??
well thats it for now, will update as and when the parts arrive, or i spend more $$$$ on more parts...

Choose wisely!
Unread 11-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #101
84 400
1989 YJ Wrangler 

sweet swap! look forward to see it done looks great though. did you upgrade the TC or the tranny with a shift kit? 700r4 will have an overdrive gear as well

good luck with the reat
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 09:17 PM   #102
ID89YJ

Looks sweet, nice work.

Steve
Unread 11-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #103
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
sweet swap! look forward to see it done looks great though. did you upgrade the TC or the tranny with a shift kit? 700r4 will have an overdrive gear as well
thanks! i didnt touch the tranny, just drained the fluid and put a new filter in there. it shifted fine when it was in the donor, so should be ok (fingers crossed).
yeah i got the 700r4 due to the low 1st gear and the overdrive, kinda best of both worlds....
the t/case is the rear half and the shafts from the jeep, which has a jb conversions 32 spline sye on it, and the front half is the chevy, which has the 6 planetary gears, and of course the correct mounting pattern...
was going to go 4:1 in it, but can't justify the money, not to mention losing the strong 27 spline output shaft from the 700r4. i have a short dana 300 on the bench, that maybe i will 4:1, flip, and twin stick, and put in next year...

Quote:
Looks sweet, nice work.

Steve
thanks steve! been a headache at times, and putting the tub over the motor/tranny when i had welded in the mounts already was, well, kinda nerve wrecking to say the least.... scott will tell you the look of relief on my face when it went together so good!

Choose wisely!
Unread 12-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #104
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

quicky update....
the soa spring perches arrived, aswell as the synthetic winch line...yeahhhh!
the full cage should be there this week.....
be tackling the wiring issues when i get back home, aswell as the remote oil filter thing...pia!
rob, did you find the part number for the remote filter removal thing??
and still seeking opinions on tranny coolers, guys????
need to also notch out my skid plate as the t/case is resting on it on the top side. i guess the tranny mount is low enough where the side of the t/case is too low, scott suggested just cutting a square into the skid. will get the soa done o nthe front and then see what kind of angle i have on the driveline, may end up raising the tranny mount a little...
the things we think about when we aint at home huh? lolol
have a geat week all!
martin

Choose wisely!
Unread 12-13-2006, 12:02 PM   #105
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
rob, did you find the part number for the remote filter removal thing??
From what i understand you can take the nipple off the remote oil filter using a 10 mm allen socket. Now mind you i have not done this yet for iam waiting for the next oil change. I have the part number for the filter nipple from GM-14081300. if you try and take the one off the remote filter let me know if it can be done or do we need to get a new one from GM.

here is a link to where i found the info on the retrofit. http://www.jagsthatrun.com/V6-instru...er-removal.pdf
Quote:
need to also notch out my skid plate as the t/case is resting on it on the top side. i guess the tranny mount is low enough where the side of the t/case is too low, scott suggested just cutting a square into the skid. will get the soa done o nthe front and then see what kind of angle i have on the driveline, may end up raising the tranny mount a little...
the things we think about when we aint at home huh? lolol
have a geat week all!
martin
I dont understand why you have to cut the skidplate to make the t/c fit. I didnt have to do this, actually i need to make a spacer for the tranny mount. here is a pic.

I will post another picture of the tranny and t/c mounted and the space i have..

Peace

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.