The swap is offically underway... - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The swap is offically underway...

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-23-2006, 08:14 AM   #76
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good so far..

i just wanted to post some pics of the run we had last sat.. enjoy..

2144558450076720680fqoqml_ph.jpg   2359985140076720680gasqjc_ph.jpg  
GM 5.7 TBI V8, 700R4, NP231C/J, 4.5" RE HD lift, SYE, Tom Woods rear DS, Winch w/synthetic line, Tomken Bumpers, Optima dual batteries, Custom electric fan, LED Tail Lights, York On-Board-Air Setup, 1991 Celica GT seats, Home made snorkel.... Also Dana HP60 front and Dana 60 Rear are now being installed SOA.

Engine under construction again, 4.3 out and 5.7 going in..

My DIY Snorkel write up Click here.....Homemade Snorkel
Chevy 4.3 Conversion Click here.....4.3 Chevy Conversion
KrwlinYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2006, 09:30 AM   #77
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

looks like fun, except the washin off the mud part.....
hey rob, as a starting point, where did you put your motor? just gimme a reference point and a measurement so i can roughly rest it in the right neighborhood? gonna get the rear end under it today and then see where it lays. i know i got a load of room up front, was just curious where yours ended up being!
cheers
martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2006, 09:55 AM   #78
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
looks like fun, except the washin off the mud part.....
hey rob, as a starting point, where did you put your motor? just gimme a reference point and a measurement so i can roughly rest it in the right neighborhood? gonna get the rear end under it today and then see where it lays. i know i got a load of room up front, was just curious where yours ended up being!
cheers
martin
yeah no problem i will get under the hood tomorrow and i will measure everything up and send you the measurements..
GM 5.7 TBI V8, 700R4, NP231C/J, 4.5" RE HD lift, SYE, Tom Woods rear DS, Winch w/synthetic line, Tomken Bumpers, Optima dual batteries, Custom electric fan, LED Tail Lights, York On-Board-Air Setup, 1991 Celica GT seats, Home made snorkel.... Also Dana HP60 front and Dana 60 Rear are now being installed SOA.

Unread 11-23-2006, 10:04 AM   #79
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Cheers!
it may well not be where it ends up, but at least it gives me a starting point....
after i get the axles on, will be taking measurements everywhere around the tub..
one advantage to having the body on i guess, can see where it lands on the firewall etc.....
had to order the spring perches for the front, couldnt find them anywhere around here.. the rears i will reuse the m.o.r.e. ones i have, so can at least get the azz end in there...

Choose wisely!
Unread 11-23-2006, 10:08 AM   #80
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cheers!
it may well not be where it ends up, but at least it gives me a starting point....
after i get the axles on, will be taking measurements everywhere around the tub..
one advantage to having the body on i guess, can see where it lands on the firewall etc.....
had to order the spring perches for the front, couldnt find them anywhere around here.. the rears i will reuse the m.o.r.e. ones i have, so can at least get the azz end in there...
kewl just keep us posted with the work your doing, maybe it will give some ideas for mine..

Unread 11-23-2006, 10:00 PM   #81
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the encouragement rob, i need every bit.....
not a whole lot done today, due to having to take my girlfriend to the ER, poor gal... after 6hrs there, this is what i accomplished today!
removed the rear axle, put on the new rockcrusher diff cover and ground off the perches. just put the perches on top for now, and will weld when i have an accurate pinion angle... just put the old stock wheels n tires on ti for now, as i dont yet have the new perches for the front, and figured i'd put the front axle under the new frame sua, with the lift shackles and the 35's. should be roughly level then.i could make some temp perches, but have better things to do with my time! so will do it that way till the new perches arrive... wont be too bad a deal, just undo the shackles and springs and get the axle under the springs, then put on stock shackles and wheeny jeep wheels n tires!
have measurered so that the rear of the t/case is in the same spot on the frame as the original, and that will give me @6-8" of extra driveshaft lengh with the soa. it will also allow me to use the chevy t/case shifter, and get to the bellhousing bolts from under the hood should i need to. will still have @6" between the front of the motor and the electric fan, so life is good. can still send me some measurements though rob!
here is the fruits of a few hours of labor today....
soa.jpg
soa1.jpg

Choose wisely!
Unread 11-23-2006, 10:57 PM   #82
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Keep up the hard work bud......

You need to get that thing done to get back on the trails! It was boring last time out not having anyone to pull line for

J/K....getter done!
Unread 11-24-2006, 07:02 AM   #83
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thanks for the encouragement rob, i need every bit.....
not a whole lot done today, due to having to take my girlfriend to the ER, poor gal... after 6hrs there, this is what i accomplished today!
removed the rear axle, put on the new rockcrusher diff cover and ground off the perches. just put the perches on top for now, and will weld when i have an accurate pinion angle... just put the old stock wheels n tires on ti for now, as i dont yet have the new perches for the front, and figured i'd put the front axle under the new frame sua, with the lift shackles and the 35's. should be roughly level then.i could make some temp perches, but have better things to do with my time! so will do it that way till the new perches arrive... wont be too bad a deal, just undo the shackles and springs and get the axle under the springs, then put on stock shackles and wheeny jeep wheels n tires!
have measurered so that the rear of the t/case is in the same spot on the frame as the original, and that will give me @6-8" of extra driveshaft lengh with the soa. it will also allow me to use the chevy t/case shifter, and get to the bellhousing bolts from under the hood should i need to. will still have @6" between the front of the motor and the electric fan, so life is good. can still send me some measurements though rob!
here is the fruits of a few hours of labor today....
good to see the rears under the jeep.. I will get out to the jeep sometime today and get the measurements for you..

I hope that you girlfriend is ok , wish all is well..

and as far as tombraider the only line he will be pulling is for his own jeep and not yours when you are done

Unread 11-24-2006, 09:48 AM   #84
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
You need to get that thing done to get back on the trails! It was boring last time out not having anyone to pull line for
ye know its at least entertaining going wheeling with me....never know where i'll be stuck next....
dunno though mate.....with a solid frame, soa, and a few ponies under the hood instead of mice, may have to pull yer own line a time or two!!

Quote:
I hope that you girlfriend is ok , wish all is well..
thanks rob, i guess she is feeling better, as she has gone to work! she was hurling every 20-30 mins wed night, all night, and then thursday...so at 3pm i took her into the er. guess it worked.....got an empty house now! lol

Choose wisely!
Unread 11-24-2006, 11:46 PM   #85
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

well, been a busy day in paradise....lol
got both axles under it now, the front sua with the lift shackles and the 35's, the rear soa with stock shackles and tires.....looks funkiy but is pretty much level!
welded the motor mounts in, and drilled the skid plate for the tranny mount. the tranny is 49 1/2" from the t/case mount to the first rear crossmember, as it was in the yj originally. the motor mounts are 29" from the front crossmember to the front of the mount on the frame. height should be @2" under the hood level, assuming i can read a tape...
here is the progress of the day...
motorframe.jpg
motor.jpg
mount.jpg

Choose wisely!
Unread 11-25-2006, 07:19 AM   #86
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great build, looks like everything is coming along. I am however concerned about the front shackle angle.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 07:40 AM   #87
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why J?
Great build, looks like everything is coming along. I am however concerned about the front shackle angle.
LOL....i said the same thing when I looked at it. It's going to be SOA in the front as well....he just didn't have spring perches yet, but needed the axle under there to get the jackstands out of the way. He put it SUA just to be able to have a roller.
Unread 11-25-2006, 09:22 AM   #88
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

yeah the front axle is temporary..... but when the axle was under the whole jeep, and not just a frame and motor, the shackles did sit right, leaning forward slightly.
that and i got a bent main leaf from flipping a shackle back round, thus a lot of the reason for going soa, get rid of the big lift shackles.... i have a new main leaf, and will install it when i do the soa on the front, along with installing the stock shackles and probably the mini me wheels n tires.... makes it easy to move around with those on there....
probable doing the fuel tank, brake and fuel hard lines, and bits n pieces today. got to change the fuel pump to the chevy one, as mine is @45psi, and the chevy needs @15psi. if i get all the lines on the new frame, will be ready to swap the body over i think. the the fun really begins, wiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lolol

Choose wisely!
Unread 11-25-2006, 11:45 PM   #89
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

well, for a change, stuff went to plan today! mind i am just now coming up from the jeep dungeon so.......
got all the brake and fuel lines on thenew frame, and the "old" jeep is ready for the tub to be swapped over. tomb raider and his wife are coming down tommorow to aid the cause......me and stacy and them two, it should be a doddle. cheers scott
also ran the arb line for the rear end, and even hooked up the brake lines! wooohoooo!!!!
didnt really take any pics, cause the new frame looks like it did last night, besides the lines... but boy has the old one changed..... no front end again. all wiring off it, and everything else that was bolted down... even removed the whole roll bar, as its getting a new DOM roll cage when its back together! (cheers dc4wd) thumbsup: ripped out the seatbelts too, as i already have new 4 point harness'. stacy just loves those torx bolts....NOT! between 2 snapped bits and a 700ftlbs impact, we got em all out though.
hopefully will have some pics tommorow, the new frame with a tub!!!!
then it will be wiring time, what a joy..
trying to get the chevy motor harness talk nicely to the jeep harness...hhmmmm
think that will be next time i'm home, need a month or so break from it now..

Choose wisely!
Unread 11-26-2006, 05:15 PM   #90
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

The tub is on and bolted down!!!!
thank god....everything fitted like a glove! the t/case is resting directly on the skid plate, so scott suggested me just cutting a square hole in the skid plate and that will fix it.
there was only 3 of us and a cherry picker for the body swap, but it went ok, finally.... cheers again scott!
got plenty of room between the motor and the firewall, and lots of room for the exhaust on each side. have about 2-3" to spare in height from the air cleaner to the hood also.
will post a few pics up later, going to go out for a while...need to run a few errands.
thanks god for triple checking measurements! was a big relief day today..
it now has a tub!

Choose wisely!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.