The swap is offically underway... - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The swap is offically underway...

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-29-2006, 12:21 PM   #61
KrwlinTJ
Wasting time & money

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
Been there, done that, there is no elim kit needed. I don't recall completely how it is set up (did it 2 yrs ago), but I absolutely know you can just take off the remote adapter and are left with a new oil filter spin on threaded shaft and filter gasket seal surface. Might be that you use the old threaded shaft in a new place, not sure. Definitely no parts to buy though and nothing to fab up.
I took my remote kit off and there is not spinner on the block.. so i need the threaded nipple that goes into the block, and need to know if there is anything i need to do to the block as far as blocking off any holes or stuff like that, for now i just bought new lines for $39 dollars from advanced auto parts. so if you know anything or can remember that needs to be done let me know. I would like to get rid of the remote filter for fear that those line will not last long..

Martin, if you can look at your block and tell me what you have? i dont have the nipple on the block so i need to get one..

Thank you for your time and help

4 Cyl out 6 Cyl going in..

My DIY Snorkel write up Click here...
Homemade Snorkel

Chevy 4.3 Conversion Click here...4.3 Chevy Conversion
KrwlinTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 04:18 PM   #62
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

rob, looking at mine, all you need is the threaded nipple that goes into the block, the feed and return lines are the other two holes by the look of it..... i didnt look at the adapter, just the block where it goes onto. i would hazzard a guess that a sbc part would do the trick....
the dana 300 is here, and the adapter from summit screws right into it! bonus!!
i was concerned because the shorter dana 300 from 80-81 is the one i have, its only 10 inches long and has no provision for fixing the whole speedo assembly from a 231 into it like the longer ones do. so i was happy when the adapter part screwed right into it for sure!
now just gotta make my mind up as whether to 4:1 it now, or wait an see, then have to pull it all apart if i decide i want it! grrrr
for $450 for the 4:1 kit, i may well just do it now, that isnt a lot of money all things considered.....oh well.....
well back to work for me, off to fargo,nd to freeze my nuts off.....
be safe all
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 04:25 PM   #63
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdfrkss
i need the threaded nipple that goes into the block
Thats it, I remember now, the threaded nipple in the adapter comes out and goes into the block. I got the info from this forum. I'm sorry I don't have dead on info off the top of my head, but like I said, I did not need to buy anything to remove the remote adapter.

Last edited by JeeperDon; 10-29-2006 at 04:47 PM..
JeeperDon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 08:38 PM   #64
KrwlinTJ
Wasting time & money

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys for the info on the oil filter adapter I will try that some time this week..

Martin, I like how you are getting all these stuff for your jeep.. what are you trying to make your jeep better than mine? LOL your jeep will be a rock crawling monster..

keep up the good works guys...

I figure I would add this if anyone wants to get the directions and part number for the filter nipple that goes into the engine.. Here is the link to the complete directions if you want to download and print : (you need adobe Reader to view the following link:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/V6-instru...er-removal.pdf

4.3 V6 Oil Cooler Removal
1–2
OIL COOLER ADAPTER ON 4.3 V6 ENGINE
The "fitting" for the oil filter is screwed onto the oil cooler adapter.
This can be unscrewed from the oil cooler adapter with a 10mm allen wrench, and the fitting can
then be screwed directly into the 4.3 V6 engine block. The fitting is also available from GM as part
#14081300 (price is about $5). This part was used on 1985 and newer 4.3 V6 engines which did
not have the oil cooler.
The oil cooler hoses and fittings can then be removed: eliminating weight, clutter and potential leaks.
REMOVE THIS ADAPTER fROM 4.3 V6 ENGINE BLOCK BY UNBOLTING IT FROM THE
ENGINE BLOCK REMOVE THIS FITTING FROM THE ADAPTER WITH A 10 MM ALLEN
WRENCH (THE "FLATS" ARE INSIDE THE FITTING) THE FITTING CAN THEN BE
SCREWED INTO THE STOCK ENGINE BLOCK "FITTING" REMOVED FROM
10 MM ALLEN WRENCH ADAPTER

Homemade Snorkel

Last edited by KrwlinTJ; 10-29-2006 at 09:36 PM..
Unread 10-30-2006, 05:13 PM   #65
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Martin, I like how you are getting all these stuff for your jeep.. what are you trying to make your jeep better than mine? LOL your jeep will be a rock crawling monster..
lolol not really rob, i have had this POS down to the bare frame before, welded it all and POR15'd it, just to have it rust from the inside....i am basically doing everything now so that i dont have to work on the POS again, as far as major jobs go...
will do the soa at the same time as i'm getting it all back together, and while im at it will stretch the front 1" and the rear 1" on the spring mounts.

i think i will just go ahead and get the 4:1 kit for the dana 300, do it now then i aint gotta worry about it later....will have plenty of crawl ratio with the 700r4, the 4:1 and 4.88's, especially as i am "only" running 35's! damn i can remember when 31's were the sheet!
the new cam is in, and i just need to get the pushrods back in then dothe valve adjust, then on with the intake manifold. still not decided whether to just do away with the outlet for the heater matrix on the intake manifold and do it from the hoses....any thaughts? and rob, do you remember the size of that fitting that broke off mate?
the new seats are excellent, for the money ($399 delivered) they are just the job...
well all, off to fargo for me, in s.d. now and its already cold as a witches left..
be safe!
martin

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-30-2006, 10:51 PM   #66
KrwlinTJ
Wasting time & money

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
then on with the intake manifold. still not decided whether to just do away with the outlet for the heater matrix on the intake manifold and do it from the hoses....any thaughts? and rob, do you remember the size of that fitting that broke off mate?

martin
not off the top of the head. I do remember that i went to the auto parts store and i just ask the guy where he had the heater nipples, and he ask what for , and i told him and he knew exactly what i was talking about and went into the back and came out with the part for me..

Just go into the store and ask them for the orignal part and then you can compare the sizes to the regular heater nipples that they have..

hope that helps you out..

and yes you are out doing my jeep.. LOLLOL

Homemade Snorkel

Unread 10-30-2006, 11:37 PM   #67
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

nahhhh, not outdoin it, just outspending it.....

dont have any kids etc, just the g/f and the dogs, my house is rented out and me n the g/f live in her house, so got a bit of toy money....rofl

figured right now i have @$13k in it all, arb'd, ome suspension and the 4.3/700r4/dana 300. by the time its done, it will stand me at around the $14k mark, maybe less depending on what i get for the old parts etc. i pretty much just give up keepin track of the f'ing thing as far as money is concerned. least its paid for i guess i will just go into the parts store and tell them that, then go from there. thanks for the info, again!

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-31-2006, 05:36 AM   #68
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
by the time its done, it will stand me at around the $14k mark
Yeah, then you can hit the trails and start breaking sheit, then spend mo money, mo money, mo money, to replace it. I was cool after the swap, then the clutch went, then the t-case blew, then I bent a spring and 'had' to do a SOA to fix it. Now I'm buying parts to fab up an anti-wrap setup.
Unread 10-31-2006, 07:30 PM   #69
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yeah, then you can hit the trails and start breaking sheit, then spend mo money, mo money, mo money, to replace it. I was cool after the swap, then the clutch went, then the t-case blew, then I bent a spring and 'had' to do a SOA to fix it. Now I'm buying parts to fab up an anti-wrap setup.
i hear ye don.....but heres the difference mate...
1) no clutch! using the 700r4. t/converter looks good, and the tranny shifted sweet.
2) got the short dana 300, which i will rebuild while its all apart. will prob go with the 4:1 gearset, and flip kit from dc4wd. the gearset comes with all the new gears, and most seals/bearings. the t/c will be completely rebuilt when im done..
3)will do the soa while its all apart. got the old man emu 2.5" springs and they ride so damn good, i wanna keep em! so will go with the soa and get rid of the lift shackles. the same guy that did tomb raiders stretch will ,99% sure, be doing my anti wrap bar...and the cage while its up there. got a good price from him on a dom cage, so will let him do it...
thats the main reason i completely stripped the 4.3, i dont wanna have to do this sheet again! the only part not rebuilt will be the tranny. i changed the oil/filter in it though, and there was no carnage in the pan when i tood it off, so fingers crossed!
no doubt there will be things that break though, it is a fact of wheeling! i dont mind replacing/building parts, just this frame off crap is gettin kinda old...... this will be 2 times in 1 year!
keep me informed on the anti wrap bar deal! be interested to see how you do it....
be good!

Choose wisely!
Unread 11-01-2006, 05:57 AM   #70
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i hear ye don.....but heres the difference mate...[blah blah, blah]
Yup, you're in for something for sure. See, your Jeep has feelings. It likes to spend time with you wrenching on it. It 'knows' when you think you have things perfect and have no wrenching plans, so it breaks something so you can spend quality time together. Maybe it will be a little leak you can search for for weeks, or 'the big bang' that takes you out of commission for a good while.

The Jeep is also telepathic. The best way to avoid that 'big bang' or whatever, is to think thoughts of future mods, big stuff that takes a lot of wrenching time, so the Jeep knows you will be back soon with tools and new parts.
Unread 11-01-2006, 08:49 AM   #71
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
Yup, you're in for something for sure. See, your Jeep has feelings. It likes to spend time with you wrenching on it. It 'knows' when you think you have things perfect and have no wrenching plans, so it breaks something so you can spend quality time together. Maybe it will be a little leak you can search for for weeks, or 'the big bang' that takes you out of commission for a good while.

The Jeep is also telepathic. The best way to avoid that 'big bang' or whatever, is to think thoughts of future mods, big stuff that takes a lot of wrenching time, so the Jeep knows you will be back soon with tools and new parts.
I have to say don, kinda disappointed I haven't seen any pics of your new setup.

Back on topic.....
Unread 11-01-2006, 03:31 PM   #72
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raider
I have to say don, kinda disappointed I haven't seen any pics of your new setup. Back on topic.....
What setup? The SOA? It's just a generic SOA. I am somewhat proud of some of the other aspects of my Jeep though. It is 'rugged ugly' though, meaning I don't paint axles and stuff, and the nice tube skid my buddy built is a bit rusty now too, the frame, etc. It works fine, just isn't pretty underneath. I should take some decent pix and put them on a web site anyway.
Unread 11-01-2006, 08:39 PM   #73
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
See, your Jeep has feelings
the only feelings it has are directly related to my bank account!!!

dont start talking major mods now don, tomb will be comin up with some real weird n whacky ideas for me to do....

mind, me n scott did talk about the 3/4 elliptical setup, with a longer shackle that can be secured to the frame when on road, and then disconnected when on the trails....hhmmmmmmm.........oh hell, stop me quick!

Choose wisely!
Unread 11-11-2006, 02:19 PM   #74
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

quick update...
engine is nearly complete, dropped the new cam in it before i left out last time...
so just need to do the valve timing, set the lifters etc....
ordered the following..
front and rear shock extenders from mountain offroad ($84 each)
dana 300 adapter from a guy on pirate ($52 shipped)
dana 300 flip kit from a pirate vendor ($169)
new inpt shaft for the dana 300, wanted to keep the 27 spline setup on the 700r4 i had.($120)
will get everything mocked up in the frame and keep my eyes open for a 4:1 kit and a rebuild kit for the 300.....
buying tomb raiders old steering setup for the soa (cheap, thanks scott )
have been looking at roll cages, but will probably end up having a local fab shop make it all and install it.
new seats are in, harness are nearly in!
after the motor/tranny is all together, will get the axles under the new frame so i can check for clearances etc. will stretch the wheelbase an inch front and rear too...
will update with foto's when i get back home, and hopefully have some progress...

Choose wisely!
Unread 11-23-2006, 12:29 AM   #75
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

got back home monday night, so been a busy bee again....
quick rundown,
decided to stick with the 231 c/j combo, can't justify spending what would be a grand on the dana 300 setup... will do it next year if i feel the need. doesn't look to be any room to spare with the 700r4 having the offset oil pan, so would need to be a driver side drop (was considering a pass drop dana 44...)
used the output shafts and gear clusters from the jeep case, the front half of the chevy case with the 6 planetary gearset, and the rear jeep case with the sye. after a bit of figuring out which parts to swap, all is well in the world.
motor is back together, upto the tbi and all the front accesories, just the air cleaner to go on!
installed the mountain offroad front shock hoops today, and painted the new frame.
here's a few pics, dont worry about where the motor is sitting in the frame, nothing is welded, its just sat on jackstands for now....
new shock hoops....
shockhoops.jpg

motor/tranny/t.case in the new frame
motortrannyframe.jpg

hoping to get the axles under there this week, then i can take some serious measurements and get it going together.... if it all goes to plan, both axles under it (soa) motor should be mounted, all lines run, and maybe the body on it too before i leave out on tuesday, we will see!

Choose wisely!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.