The swap is offically underway... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The swap is offically underway...

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% off

Unread 10-21-2006, 12:45 PM   #46
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

rob, noticed in the pics that you used the chevy t/case shifter. that work out ok?? looks nice in the foto's but was it a major pia to get it there?
been calling around for atlas' this week, a mate of mine also wants one and we are tryin to get a good deal on 2 3.8's at the same time......everyone over 2k each upto yet..
he is running a flipped dana 300 right now, and it leaks oil like crazy, plus he still has the 2.6 gearset, and the 4 to 1 gears are @7-800, all that for a 20 yr old t/case! will see what happens i guess, if i can get them for under 2k each, then i will be having an atlas t/case!!
got the motor somewhat back together before i left, pistons, rod and main bearings and oil pump all in there, along with a new timing set for the cam. about 1/2 a day will see the motor completed, the pour some oil in the t/converter and bolt 'er back up...
on the road now, so progress will be slow, mainly ordering parts so i dont get held up when i wanna get it worked on.
will be ordering the painless kit and the speedo/vss part from summit, thanks rob!
well, onto mesa az, then the airforce base in tuscon...then god knows where...
be safe all

2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #47
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The t/case shifter was real easy to setup, i did not have to cut the floor, it lined up perfectly.. all i had to do is make up a floor cover and cut a notch out for the shifter, and even reused the boot that was on the floor of the jimmy/blazer.. Just remember that if you line up the tranny and t/case then the shifter will fit without modification, but if you offset the motor/tranny/tcase to the right( Driverside)(if you are looking at the motor from the front of the jeep) then it will hit the floor and you will have to notch the floor for the shifter to come up thru the floor.. wise move on the painless wiring harness, Excellent product. keep us posted with all your work.. and if i can help keep the questions coming...

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
rob, noticed in the pics that you used the chevy t/case shifter. that work out ok?? looks nice in the foto's but was it a major pia to get it there?
been calling around for atlas' this week, a mate of mine also wants one and we are tryin to get a good deal on 2 3.8's at the same time......everyone over 2k each upto yet..
he is running a flipped dana 300 right now, and it leaks oil like crazy, plus he still has the 2.6 gearset, and the 4 to 1 gears are @7-800, all that for a 20 yr old t/case! will see what happens i guess, if i can get them for under 2k each, then i will be having an atlas t/case!!
got the motor somewhat back together before i left, pistons, rod and main bearings and oil pump all in there, along with a new timing set for the cam. about 1/2 a day will see the motor completed, the pour some oil in the t/converter and bolt 'er back up...
on the road now, so progress will be slow, mainly ordering parts so i dont get held up when i wanna get it worked on.
will be ordering the painless kit and the speedo/vss part from summit, thanks rob!
well, onto mesa az, then the airforce base in tuscon...then god knows where...
be safe all
GM 5.7 TBI V8, 700R4, NP231C/J, 4.5" RE HD lift, SYE, Tom Woods rear DS, Winch w/synthetic line, Tomken Bumpers, Optima dual batteries, Custom electric fan, LED Tail Lights, York On-Board-Air Setup, 1991 Celica GT seats, Home made snorkel.... Also Dana HP60 front and Dana 60 Rear are now being installed SOA.

Engine under construction again, 4.3 out and 5.7 going in..

My DIY Snorkel write up Click here.....Homemade Snorkel
Chevy 4.3 Conversion Click here.....4.3 Chevy Conversion
KrwlinYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 03:10 PM   #48
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks rob!
will be ordering the painless stuff next week i guess....
got some suspension seats from hunsaker motorsports a while back, and stacy tried installing them today just for giggles, they need a bracket making for them to use the existing seat bases, which is no big deal.
still looking into the atlas issue, but not having much luck. another option for 4:1 gearing would be the teralow kit, but all it says is 21 or 23 spline input, so that aint gonna work on the 27 from the 700r4. you have any experience here? i dont do bad with the 4.88's and the 2.72 from the 231, but more gearing would be nice.... gotta beat scott on a few counts, already whooped him on power, now i need the gearing to counter his stretch project...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-22-2006, 04:15 PM   #49
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
thanks rob!
will be ordering the painless stuff next week i guess....
got some suspension seats from hunsaker motorsports a while back, and stacy tried installing them today just for giggles, they need a bracket making for them to use the existing seat bases, which is no big deal.
still looking into the atlas issue, but not having much luck. another option for 4:1 gearing would be the teralow kit, but all it says is 21 or 23 spline input, so that aint gonna work on the 27 from the 700r4. you have any experience here? i dont do bad with the 4.88's and the 2.72 from the 231, but more gearing would be nice.... gotta beat scott on a few counts, already whooped him on power, now i need the gearing to counter his stretch project...
Insert bumper sticker:

You can follow...but it will hurt.

Shoulda had that on the last run eh?
Unread 10-23-2006, 03:52 PM   #50
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

see who follows who when she's back together.... and anyways....
i gotta outta there........with a little help from mr t max....!

get on down to flat nasty or hot springs with us, and we'll see about that limited slip u got in there.....

i love arb's and skid plates.....

ordered the parts from summit rob, except for the fuel pump,. i am gonna try and run a stock s10 one in the tank, look to be about the same....i am mpi already and have a spare sending unit, so will experiment with that. the intank pump is @$50 cheaper, and can get a replacement at any auto store if it takes a dump on me, and an intank pump runs cooler too, not that its a big consideration on the lower pressure of the tbi!
got one other guy pricing an atlas for me, then if thats too much, i give up and will run the 231c/j combo.hell if i did a stretch i'd run a doubler, cheapest way! there is your next idea scott......

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-23-2006, 06:14 PM   #51
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ordered the parts from summit rob, except for the fuel pump,. i am gonna try and run a stock s10 one in the tank, look to be about the same....i am mpi already and have a spare sending unit, so will experiment with that. the intank pump is @$50 cheaper, and can get a replacement at any auto store if it takes a dump on me, and an intank pump runs cooler too, not that its a big consideration on the lower pressure of the tbi!
got one other guy pricing an atlas for me, then if thats too much, i give up and will run the 231c/j combo.hell if i did a stretch i'd run a doubler, cheapest way! there is your next idea scott......
You should be able to get it to work with the intank pump.. I have an 88 wrangler that was carbed, so i did not have the intank fuel pump.. once my external takes a crap i will do the intank too..
GM 5.7 TBI V8, 700R4, NP231C/J, 4.5" RE HD lift, SYE, Tom Woods rear DS, Winch w/synthetic line, Tomken Bumpers, Optima dual batteries, Custom electric fan, LED Tail Lights, York On-Board-Air Setup, 1991 Celica GT seats, Home made snorkel.... Also Dana HP60 front and Dana 60 Rear are now being installed SOA.

Unread 10-23-2006, 06:37 PM   #52
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

rob, if you need the sender/fuel tank unit, lemme know. i have a spare....
its the rectangular one with @12 bolts....

i know from my rally car days that an intank runs cooler than an external pump, and hopefully will last a loooong time cause that tank is a royal pain in the rear to get off...

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-23-2006, 07:13 PM   #53
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
see who follows who when she's back together.... and anyways....
i gotta outta there........with a little help from mr t max....!

get on down to flat nasty or hot springs with us, and we'll see about that limited slip u got in there.....

i love arb's and skid plates.....
Keep'a talkin baldy......and I'll keep pullin' yer winch line. That is, AFTER i've made it through.
Unread 10-23-2006, 07:23 PM   #54
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

ouch!! that hurt.....

be some special ingredients in your lunch next time you're around our house.....callin stacy now!!!

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-23-2006, 07:30 PM   #55
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
rob, if you need the sender/fuel tank unit, lemme know. i have a spare....
its the rectangular one with @12 bolts....

i know from my rally car days that an intank runs cooler than an external pump, and hopefully will last a loooong time cause that tank is a royal pain in the rear to get off...
Yeah that would be great.. i just have to make sure it bolts up to my gas tank.. if anyone knows if i can use the sending unit please chime in...

And whats with all the smack talk going on here..LOL

Unread 10-23-2006, 07:41 PM   #56
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

lololol it aint nothin......scott just cannot admit he has axle envy....... arb's to the rescue......

we just spend money in different areas....i threw my $$$ at the axles, he did the soa, and is doin the stretch.....
he did the 4.0 swap, i'm doin the 4.3 (bored over...hehehe)
he runs 37's, i run 35's....
blah blah blah... and last time we went out, my frame broke and i flipped a shackle back, thats why he gives me sheet about pullin line for me. not to mention the fact he answers a question with...." no, it isnt that deep....." when asked about the depth of a mud hole....i owe him for that one...

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-25-2006, 10:45 PM   #57
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

well i was out running the jeep and what do i find , an oil leak from the remote oil lines.

this stinks.. I am trying to find out if they make a eliminator kit that would get rid of the remote oil filter, so i can just put the oil filter onto the motor. This way there is one less thing to break or leak..

If anyone knows how this could be done please let us know.
thanks,

like i said before these jeeps are nothing but money pits.LOL

Unread 10-28-2006, 10:45 PM   #58
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

hey rob...
thaught i saw something on the summit site regardin the oil filter. may wanna look there, or maybe adapt a sbc one? basically the same motor.... the wiring harness and adapter for the speedo came this week, along with a shiny b&m shifter...wooohooo!lol
got my suspension seats in, had to lower the driver side 2", steering wheel was into my nuts...ouch!
got the heads back on, but while checking cam lobe lift, it was way off. not lifting near enough, so a new cam is coming in the morning..then i can get the valve lash set and get the intake manifold on. do you remember what the adapter for the hose line (the one that broke) size is? after the cam is in, i an get to bolting all the junk on and static setting it all...
got a short (10") dana 300 coming tommorow, was going to 4:1 it, but after working everything out with the 1st gear on the 700r4, and accounting for the slip of an auto tranny, i may see how it is with the 2.6 ratio, then get the 4:1 if needed/wanted.
the only flip kit for the 300 i have found so far is the down east offroad kit, but not aware of the quality. jb only has a clocking ring, not a flip kit....
anyone know of any others??

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-29-2006, 09:22 AM   #59
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdfrkss
If anyone knows how this could be done please let us know.
thanks,
Been there, done that, there is no elim kit needed. I don't recall completely how it is set up (did it 2 yrs ago), but I absolutely know you can just take off the remote adapter and are left with a new oil filter spin on threaded shaft and filter gasket seal surface. Might be that you use the old threaded shaft in a new place, not sure. Definitely no parts to buy though and nothing to fab up.
Unread 10-29-2006, 09:51 AM   #60
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

cool deal don!
rob, i'll have a look at mine, seeing as its still on the engine stand with no filter attached, and let you know what i can see there. easier to see when you can just flip it upside down on the stand i think.... best $40 i spent on the damn project upto yet..
was thinking about painting the motor, seeing as its all spick n span after the dip in the cleaning tank. anyone doe that before? i have never painted a motor before... was wondering how well the pain holds up!
well, back to the dungeon for me....will update when i get back up on the oil filter issues rob.

Choose wisely!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.