The swap is offically underway... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The swap is offically underway...

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 10-09-2006, 06:38 PM   #31
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

you mean the headaches will go away rob??
had a bits n pieces day today. took the valves out of the heads, degreased the snot out of the heads, installed new vlave seals, lapped the valves in, cleaned the vlaves and re assembled the heads.....least they are done now....
decided to just bite the bullet and strip the block down, only way to get it clean properly..... got new rod, main, and cam bearings to go in there. camshaft is out and looks good, just wear on the bearings.....so gettin new ones!
picked up a high volume oil pump today, along with a new mater pump.....
will have around $300 in the motor, but to say that is completely rebuilt, not too shabby huh?
not even looked at the wiring, again....the poor old blazer is sat outside where i pushed it after the motor was out...oh well its only a chevy!
will post a few pics tonite of the motor/heads etc.....amazing it ran, how gunked up it all was!well, back to the dungeon (garage) for me....

2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 08:49 PM   #32
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
you mean the headaches will go away rob??

Yeah the headaches will go away once you are done..LOL Unfortunately you will never be completely done working on the jeep... ( Money Pit ) Finished up last weekend the LED Brake lights, ordered the reverse and side makers light in Led too..and now Iam in the middle of doing a on board air setup.. got the 3 gallon tank under the rear of the jeep, all hoses and ports done, now just waiting to get the mounting kit from Kilby to mount the York 210r in the spot of the old air condition compressor.. looking good so far..
GM 5.7 TBI V8, 700R4, NP231C/J, 4.5" RE HD lift, SYE, Tom Woods rear DS, Winch w/synthetic line, Tomken Bumpers, Optima dual batteries, Custom electric fan, LED Tail Lights, York On-Board-Air Setup, 1991 Celica GT seats, Home made snorkel.... Also Dana HP60 front and Dana 60 Rear are now being installed SOA.

Engine under construction again, 4.3 out and 5.7 going in..

My DIY Snorkel write up Click here.....Homemade Snorkel
Chevy 4.3 Conversion Click here.....4.3 Chevy Conversion

Last edited by KrwlinYJ; 10-09-2006 at 09:12 PM..
KrwlinYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 09:03 PM   #33
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
picked up a high volume oil pump today

I would have just gotten a stock oil pump for the 4.3. You can strave the motor of oil if you pump too much oil up to the motor, especailly if you are at a very heavy angle. You should if you wanted is too get a oil pan with a baffle in to keep oil at the pick-up..( got a used oil pan and we are designing and welding in a baffle kit into the oil pan) They do make them but havent seen anywhere) But that is my .02.
See what i did when i had the motor out, i did a gasket kit, new oil pump, timing chain, bearing kit, had the heads and block checked and cleaned.. Once the motor was done and in, I bought all new sensors for the motor.. So you can say the motor is practically new..
GM 5.7 TBI V8, 700R4, NP231C/J, 4.5" RE HD lift, SYE, Tom Woods rear DS, Winch w/synthetic line, Tomken Bumpers, Optima dual batteries, Custom electric fan, LED Tail Lights, York On-Board-Air Setup, 1991 Celica GT seats, Home made snorkel.... Also Dana HP60 front and Dana 60 Rear are now being installed SOA.

Unread 10-10-2006, 01:21 AM   #34
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

yeah,i am in the same boat, be a new motor when its in there....
got all the pushrods, rockers, followers, cam, crank cleaned up, look good. popped all the valves out and cleaned them, put all new seals in and re lapped the valves till i got a good pattern. heads are done and cleaned.
found out i need to drop the block off for the cam bearings....
couldnt figure out how to get them out, then read..."these are not servicable and need to be replaced by a machine shop' in the haynes...grrrrrr. will ask around tommorow (well today...)
heres the latest pics...nothin special, just a clean block n heads..now rusting already...
before and after of the valves...
upload4.jpg
nice shiny heads!
upload1.jpg
the block as it was...
upload2.jpg
the block as it is....
upload3.jpg
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-10-2006, 03:03 PM   #35
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

well, got the block back with new cam bearing...$40, what a bargain!
scored a good deal on a brand new set of pistons, rods, rings, followers and a cam for ......$50! must be my lucky day!
got an estimate for a complete exhaust, from the headers to the tailpipe, including a flowmaster muffler, and all 2 1/2 or 3" tubing...@$250. that sound about right? didnt sound too bad to me for a complete system....opinions???
well, back to the dungeon for me, rippin wires out of a blazer time..

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #36
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

well, not been too productive a day today......got the block back, new bearings in. got all the wiring out of the blazer, cleaned all the block and heads, and then painted them in motor oil to stop them rusting. had to do an oil change on the grand, so that kinda stopped progress a little too.
got a new timing chain/gear set coming in tommorow, may as well huh?
heres the latest fotos!
all the bits n pieces.....
motor-bits.jpg
clean set of pushrods, all engine parts are now this clean!
clean-parts.jpg
help, i need a wiring guru!
wires.jpg

will be heading out to hot springs,ar to the superlift park tommorow, so the project has hit a brick wall for a few. after i get back from there (sunday) will be heading back out on the road, got 2 jeeps to support...
will be checking in as often as possible...keep the good ideas comin!
rob, will probably go for the painless kits.....hope they are as good as you say!

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-10-2006, 07:54 PM   #37
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
rob, will probably go for the painless kits.....hope they are as good as you say!
You will not be disappointed with the harness.
Just take your time and lay it all out, Then cut your holes install the wiring and grommets, and a little silicon, and you will be good to go.. I will take pictures of the my setup tomorrow and i will post them on here so you have some ideas on how to go with it.. But biggest thing is take your time with the placement of the harness and all the sensor, relays, etc...

Have fun on the road and talk to you when you get back.

Unread 10-10-2006, 08:05 PM   #38
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks mate..... i will be wheeling a toyota pickup when i get to hot springs, as my frame isnt upto the task! i will try not to come bcak a toyota freak...i promise to wear rubber gloves whenever i though it
i will be on here this evening and tommorow before we leave, then prob be sunday. so post away!
thanks again

martin

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #39
AR-Guy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

WOW looking good!!!
AR-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2006, 09:53 PM   #40
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks AR....been a royal pain in the a$$ though, i'll tell ye....
been slow going, but it wont take me long, maybe a day to get the motor back together and the valves adjusted etc etc....will just have to see how it goes.
the novak motor mounts look awesome! dont think even i could manage to break them!
after the motor/tranny and t/case are back together, the work starts on the frame...what a joy!
later all
martin

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-11-2006, 02:56 PM   #41
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

well just found out that the pistons and rings in the $50 deal are 20 oversize.... so looks like back to the machine shop for the block! talked to the machine shop, and for a total of under $250, i will have new 20 over pistons, new machined bores and a new camshaft, new cam bearings again, and a block ready to assemble, which i didnt think was too bad to say about the only original thing on there was the bores..
so what the hell right? in for a penny, in for a pound....
should be a sweet runnin motor when back together and in there i think (HOPE)!
off to hot springs i go, gonna do some heavy duty wheelin and then get to work!
later all have a great week!

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-16-2006, 08:10 PM   #42
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

hey guys n gals, well got back today from hot springs, wow what a park! i would reccomend it no matter your level/mods. it has something for everyone!
dropped the block off at the machine shop with the .20 over piston, the old ones and the new wrist pins.......
thats about it for now, except i am seriously leanin towards a soa, using my ome 2.5 inch leafes, they just ride so damn good!
will keep you all informed. nite all

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-17-2006, 06:57 AM   #43
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

LeftLanetrucking,
Just wanted to post a few pictures of my finished 4.3 swap so that you have some ideas for your Jeep. (or anybody else).

this is the air cleaner assembly that I made from a Caddiliac air hat, Grand Cherokee air hose, and filter box from a chevy truck (dont remember exactly from what)

This where I mounted the aldl connector, Notice the switch to the left, that is a switch for the interior lights, so that I can shut off the lights when I have the doors removed.

I rewired the emiss maint light to work as the check engine light for the computer on the jeep

This is the custom lower radiator hose that i made, so that i can reuse the factory jeep radiator with the chevy motor.

B&M Sport shifter that i mounted to be able to use the 700r4 automatic. I have the park/neutral switch wired to the computer.

Did the led tailight conversion, These are really bright and well worth the money. Just have to cut in the reverse and side marker lights.

This is my 2.5 gallon air tank that I have mounted under the jeep for the OBA, I have the York 210 compressor, but I am just waiting for parts to finish the install.

check my member gallery for more pictures of different things I have done on the Jeep..

Last edited by KrwlinYJ; 02-23-2008 at 11:15 PM..
Unread 10-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #44
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks rob, i like the air cleaner setup, looks neat and finished......
i ma kinda stuck till i get the block back, then i have to leave out by thursday at the latest.....damn job!
but oh well......gotta make some pennies i guess.

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-19-2006, 09:51 PM   #45
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I tell you the fun never ends with these jeeps.. Now I started on a homemade snorkel setup.. still not finished but I just wanted to share my progress..

Last edited by KrwlinYJ; 02-23-2008 at 11:22 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.