The swap is offically underway... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The swap is offically underway...

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 10-08-2006, 08:19 PM   #16
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdfrkss
for the tach you will use your jeeps existing wiring harness for that,
Not actually. The signal comes from the computer, which has been swapped out to a Chevy computer. The pulse counts can and usually are very different. Some use 1 pulse per rev, some 1 pulse per two revs. The cyl count also effects the problem. All you can really do is take the new computer's tach pulse, wire it to the Jeep's, and see what it reads. In my case it read 1/3 (I think) of the proper count, which required a box to alter the pulse rates.

Unread 10-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #17
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
Not actually. The signal comes from the computer, which has been swapped out to a Chevy computer. The pulse counts can and usually are very different. Some use 1 pulse per rev, some 1 pulse per two revs. The cyl count also effects the problem. All you can really do is take the new computer's tach pulse, wire it to the Jeep's, and see what it reads. In my case it read 1/3 (I think) of the proper count, which required a box to alter the pulse rates.
I dont know about your setup but on the (pre 92) tbi the tach pulse comes right of the coil, at least that is where mine comes from and my factory tach is just about acurate,( well as accurate as the factory ones are) I did the test between autometer tach and factory tach and an engine diagnastic computer..
GM 5.7 TBI V8, 700R4, NP231C/J, 4.5" RE HD lift, SYE, Tom Woods rear DS, Winch w/synthetic line, Tomken Bumpers, Optima dual batteries, Custom electric fan, LED Tail Lights, York On-Board-Air Setup, 1991 Celica GT seats, Home made snorkel.... Also Dana HP60 front and Dana 60 Rear are now being installed SOA.

Engine under construction again, 4.3 out and 5.7 going in..

My DIY Snorkel write up Click here.....Homemade Snorkel
Chevy 4.3 Conversion Click here.....4.3 Chevy Conversion
KrwlinYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2006, 08:58 PM   #18
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

rob, i think don is running a vortec motor, with the multiport injection, where we have the tbi setup...that is probably the difference as far as the tach goes, glad to hear i will haev an easier time of it as far as that goes.....
well, here's todays update.....
went to get the headers, only to find they are for a sbc, so unless they wanted to gimme 2 cylinders for free, they are gettin reordered...
it was cheaper to get a complete motor gasket set, and not the individual ones, so i thaught hell with it, and currently have the heads off it.. and i am kinda glad i did, they were allllll gummed up!!
the kit includes new valve seals too, so i may as well pop the valves out, put new seals in and lap them into the seats. hell, may as well put a cam in it while im there huh? any suggestions??? the cam feels ok, but havent got it out yet and measured the lobes.
need to get a vibration damper puller tommorow, and the valve compressor, both of which will come from advanced auto parts....i love loaner tools.....that and a case of brake cleaner and degreaser......gotta love chemicals for makin it easy.
the heads look good, as does the block and bores, i measured them out with the verniers and they are bang on, so good news there, it just looks like its been sat a lot and got all gunky inside (technical phrase there..."gunky")
the flywheel, t/converter and tranny all look good, and the 231c hd is on the bench, i offered a spare sye upto to it, and everything looks to line up, we'll see..
well, thats all for now guys n gals, will hopefully be rebuilding the motor tommorow after a damn good cleaning....
lemme know what you think as far as the cam goes, will prob get a new oil pump while its all open too....
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2006, 09:09 PM   #19
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
the kit includes new valve seals too, so i may as well pop the valves out, put new seals in and lap them into the seats. hell, may as well put a cam in it while im there huh? any suggestions??? the cam feels ok, but havent got it out yet and measured the lobes.
Yeah i realized that he has a cmpi setup which completely different then what we have.. but i just wanted to make sure everyone knows that what we are using you can use the factory jeep harness to connect to coil for the proper readings..

just remember that if you change the cam out you have to keep it stock.. otherwise if you bump up the cam you will have to get the computer reprogrammed for the different size cam.. dont ask how i know...LOL needless to say it was cheaper to go back to the stock cam then to go thru all the trouble with a new computer..
GM 5.7 TBI V8, 700R4, NP231C/J, 4.5" RE HD lift, SYE, Tom Woods rear DS, Winch w/synthetic line, Tomken Bumpers, Optima dual batteries, Custom electric fan, LED Tail Lights, York On-Board-Air Setup, 1991 Celica GT seats, Home made snorkel.... Also Dana HP60 front and Dana 60 Rear are now being installed SOA.

Unread 10-08-2006, 09:16 PM   #20
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

rob, you sound like you learn the same way i do, the hard way...

i will measure the cam tommorow if i take it out, gonna do the front main seal also, so i may slide her out and check, the lobes look good from the top, no raised or lower sections, but a lot easier to throw the verniers at it and see whats what.
i didnt manage to get that damned pipe fitting out, think i mullered the threads up...so i dont know my options there? rethread it and get a fitting? or look for a good used one? i doubt rethreading will hold that good, is crappy cast aluminum...
it did have a blanking cover on the underside of it, looked like part of the intake manifold gasket, i did see that the instructions in the gasket set said something about that.....will re read when its time to throw it in there. oh what fun huh?

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-08-2006, 09:28 PM   #21
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

yup that is me.. see when i got the jimmy i pulled the motor out and just started to rebuild it ( as per someone else suggestion) boy did it backfire LOL as far as the connector I guess i just got lucky with my hose connection. if you have a hard time finding one let me know and ill see if i can get you one out here and all you have to do is pay the shipping+part.. you just have to let me know if you tbi is centered (square ) on the manifold or is offset or twisted to the driver side... if you are unsure just take a look at my pictures and you will see if it is the same or different..

Unread 10-08-2006, 09:33 PM   #22
jipjip

you guys are talking about vss adapters and such, but aren't you using the jeep rear section of the t-case??? if so, why do you need an aftermarket anything for your speedo. the gear is still on the tail shaft of the t-case, so as long as the jeep parts are there, it will read fine.
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #23
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjip
you guys are talking about vss adapters and such, but aren't you using the jeep rear section of the t-case??? if so, why do you need an aftermarket anything for your speedo. the gear is still on the tail shaft of the t-case, so as long as the jeep parts are there, it will read fine.
you need the vss input for the chevy TBI computer so that the computer can control fuel and the lock up of the trannys torque convertor.. other wise if you were just using a carb motor then you dont need it and all you need is just the gear for the speedo

Unread 10-08-2006, 09:49 PM   #24
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

just had a look through your foto's rob, looks like you had the same idea as i did as far as motor placement, i am going to set it far enough forward to be able to get to the damned bellhousing bolts....had fun with them in the blazer,
i will have a look around tommorow and let you know as far as the intake goes.. its not something i am waiting on, so no big rush, yet!
I didnt even get to look at wiring today, spent too long getting the power steering pump off, hidden bolts and all.... but its all apart now, so the rebuild begins tommorow, i hope..

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-08-2006, 09:53 PM   #25
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
just had a look through your foto's rob, looks like you had the same idea as i did as far as motor placement, i am going to set it far enough forward to be able to get to the damned bellhousing bolts....had fun with them in the blazer,
i will have a look around tommorow and let you know as far as the intake goes.. its not something i am waiting on, so no big rush, yet!
I didnt even get to look at wiring today, spent too long getting the power steering pump off, hidden bolts and all.... but its all apart now, so the rebuild begins tommorow, i hope..

Just wanted to let you know that you can reuse the chevy power steering pump.. the pressure side hose does fit into the hole on the jeep steering box.. at least that was easy..LOL some people say that you have to go and get special hoses to work the setup we got.

Unread 10-08-2006, 09:58 PM   #26
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

good deal on the p/steering.....tryin to get the pump off the big aluminum bracket is a nightmare, got 2 pullers and none worked on the pulley, so had to wiggle the bracket then undo the last bolt in the bracket still....
wonder if wal mart sell good degreaser by the truck load?

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-09-2006, 06:52 AM   #27
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdfrkss
...you can reuse the chevy power steering pump.. the pressure side hose does fit into the hole on the jeep steering box..
Yeah, I found that too, just had to finesse the metal sections of the Chevy hose a bit to aim in the right direction.

On the tach and wiring: OK, I yield. I am not familiar with Painless at all. You are apparently spending money on an 'install kit' of sorts and I had to spend money on what seemed a zillion small things (ECM reprogramming, tach converter, vss convter, etc..). In retrospect, a swap like this is the sort of thing that makes you proud of yourself and your truck. I'm not one for cosmetics at all on my Jeep, but when I was done, I had some small stickers made up for the hood.
Unread 10-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #28
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I had some small stickers made up for the hood
already pulled all the "4.3" badges from the blazer don....

it does look like there are basically 2 ways of fixing the wiring, either buying the adapter wiring harness, or doing the cut n splice......both have thier costs involved, and no doubt headaches too. but i would hazzard a guess that less tylenol gets used with a conversion harness?
i'm still a long way from that, having torn all the motor apart and all! but at least it will be all clean an runnin good!

Choose wisely!
Unread 10-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #29
KrwlinYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
Yeah, I found that too, just had to finesse the metal sections of the Chevy hose a bit to aim in the right direction.

On the tach and wiring: OK, I yield. I am not familiar with Painless at all. You are apparently spending money on an 'install kit' of sorts and I had to spend money on what seemed a zillion small things (ECM reprogramming, tach converter, vss convter, etc..). In retrospect, a swap like this is the sort of thing that makes you proud of yourself and your truck. I'm not one for cosmetics at all on my Jeep, but when I was done, I had some small stickers made up for the hood.

Jeeperdon,
You are one of the reason why i even did the 4.3 in my jeep.. Did alot of reading and research on the subject, and your input.. You are completely correct with the swap and all the headache that go with it... Nothing beats when you are all done and you turn that key, hear that fuel pump prime, and the baby starts, and all the headaches and suffering all goes away... LOL

Unread 10-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #30
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

you mean the headaches will go away rob??
had a bits n pieces day today. took the vlaves out of the head, degreased the snot out of the heads, installed new vlave seals, lapped the valves in, cleaned the vlaves and re assembled the heads.....least they are done now....
decided to just bite the bullet and strip the block down, only way to get it clean properly..... got new rod, main, and cam bearings to go in there. camshaft is out and looks good, just wear on the bearings.....so gettin new ones!
picked up a high volume oil pump today, along with a new mater pump.....
will have around $300 in the motor, but to say that is comletely rebuilt, not too shabby huh?
not even looked at the wiring, again....the poor old blazer is sat outside where i pushed it after the motor was out...oh well its only a chevy!
will post a few pics tonite of the motor/heads etc.....amazing it ran, how gunked up it all was!well, back to the dungeon (garage) for me....

Choose wisely!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.