Swap "family" style bar for "sport" style? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Swap "family" style bar for "sport" style?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 02-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
5ringleader
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Swap "family" style bar for "sport" style?

I have a '90 YJ, which has the sport style roll bar. Does anyone know if the later model YJ family style roll bar is a direct bolt in replacement? Are there additional seat belt mounts in the tub also, or would the 3 point belts bolt right in? The reason I am considering this is I have kids in booster seats, that require a 3 point belt.

5ringleader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Some of the mounting holes may have to be opened up a bit, but it will bolt in. Upper part of the rear belts, bolt to the roll bar and the lowers go to the same current location (to the best of my knowledge). Lots of guys have done it, and I will be doing it eventually but so far just researching it.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

This is a very common swap - I'm surprised that only one person replied to you.
You can search for "roll bar swap" or any other variation of that and find a miltitude of threads/posts on the subject, some will even contain pictures... I've seen them before.
I know some people have to open the mounting holes in the bar plates a little, but some have claimed a perfect swap with nothing but some bolt spinning required.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
scottsjeeprolet
1985 CJ7 

Direct bot in, i did it on my CJ. i added some more bars to it for safety off road.

I'm looking for one to put in my YJ.
Unread 02-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
Matt_vs_YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had to enlarge 2 holes slightly, but otherwise a direct swap. Timatoe is correct, the shoulder belt and retractor attach to the new bars.
Matt_vs_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

You will have to drill one hole in the verticle part of each of the rear fenders to mount the fixed end of the rear seat belts shoulder strap. You might have to enlarge some of the bolt holes in the pads that mount to the floor behind the front seats. The front spreader bars might have to be adjusted by loosening the safety torx bolt in the top of them. Overall its an easy swap to do. Just try to get the male half of the rear seat belts when you buy the family style roll bar. All of the other seatbelt parts from you 90 will work with the newer roll bar.

-

Jeeps that I am currently parting out;
199 Jeep TJ 4cyl 5spd
1988 Jeep YJ 6cyl 5spd
1984 Jeep CJ7 6cyl 4spd
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
5ringleader
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info guys. I will put that on my list of things to look for at the salvage yard next time I get to go. Today would have been a good day (nice weather), but I missed their hours. Next weekend is Valentines, which might not be the smartest time to go to the salvage yard. Gotta keep the honey happy.
5ringleader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Easy mod

I paid 75 for mine

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Augy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just completed this swap. It was just as the others described...had to open up two holes (one in each front plate). I used a step-bit (varibit...whatever they're called) to drill a new hole and the a rotary file to finish it.

I haven't put the 3-point belt in yet but will do so this weekend. I want to find a way to secure the end to the tub in a way that would hold up in the event of a crash...I just cringe at the thought of a bolt ripping right through the tub. I'd like to take a look at a stock YJ to see how the factory did this. Anyone have a good picture?

Augy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.