Suspension Tech - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Suspension Tech

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 07-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
calpbs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Suspension Tech

I have a 4' ROUGH COUNTRY lift and a shackle reversal on my YJ. My question is the front shackle supposed to be straight up and down or is it supposed to be canted forward or aft? Secondly I have read several comments about removing the track bars front and rear, Will this take away street manners in lieu of off road manners? Will this weaken the suspension? I have all new poly graphite bushings in the springs? Just wondering if I am making my jeep handle poorly by leaving them on?

Charlie Lamar
Ringgold, GA
calpbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The track bars don't really change on road handling. It really depends on how you like it though. They do however bind the suspension making the ride a little worse. Take them off and drive with it for a week, if you don't notice a difference put them in the scrap pile. If you do, and you don't like it, put them back on but make sure you have extension brackets. But the latter is highly unlikely.

And as for the shackles I think they are suppose to be aft a bit. Not sure though so don't quote me.

Help our dog Bo! https://fundly.com/give-bo-a-chance
Michaelgoesrawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The shackles are supposed to be in a position that when the spring compresses, it's already allowing the shackle to move away from it. Having it pull back in is going to fight the spring and make your terrible springs ride even worse
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpbs View Post
I have a 4' ROUGH COUNTRY lift and a shackle reversal on my YJ. My question is the front shackle supposed to be straight up and down or is it supposed to be canted forward or aft? Secondly I have read several comments about removing the track bars front and rear, Will this take away street manners in lieu of off road manners? Will this weaken the suspension? I have all new poly graphite bushings in the springs? Just wondering if I am making my jeep handle poorly by leaving them on?
I'll second the tracbar removal. It really helps to make those agressive speed bumps less bone-jarring. Can you post a pic of your shackles with a load on the springs? That way we can better answer your question about shackle angle. Check this link and see if it answers your questions...

http://www.jeeptech.com/susp/elkcahs/index.html
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
The shackles are supposed to be in a position that when the spring compresses, it's already allowing the shackle to move away from it. Having it pull back in is going to fight the spring and make your terrible springs ride even worse
I think what he is trying to say here is it should be canted slightly forward. However straight up and down should be ok. If it is canted aft at all that would be bad and fight what the spring is trying to do because oif the arc of motion the shackle makes.

Physics is your friend.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
calpbs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here is where the shackle rides.
014-2-.jpg  

Charlie Lamar
Ringgold, GA
Unread 07-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpbs
Here is where the shackle rides.
The angle looks fine to me. That looks like one long *** shackles though. You should consider shortening them. Your springs will thank you. Your steering will too.

Sent from my EVO 4G using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 07-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think the steering is as much affected by a shackle of that length and a srs
Unread 07-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
I think what he is trying to say here is it should be canted slightly forward. However straight up and down should be ok. If it is canted aft at all that would be bad and fight what the spring is trying to do because oif the arc of motion the shackle makes.

Physics is your friend.
Keep in mind that his shackles are reversed, so the bottom of the front shackle (if not straight up and down) should be pointed slightly to the rear while at rest. The OP's shackle angles look fine...
Unread 07-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Upon further review of your pic, you might want to consider getting a different front driveshaft that can collapse more when the axle moves back under compression. Right now it looks like you could be putting tremendous pressure on your transfer case every time you load the springs on even a speed bump since the drive shaft can't compress any more than it is currently sitting at rest.

This area needs to have a space at the slip joint for expansion/compression
014-2-.jpg
Unread 07-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm curious as to what shackles are in the rear? Those do look a bit long. I would consider a smaller pair as long as it does'nt make the nose dip. And yes, ditch the tracs, but keep the sway. .$o2

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
calpbs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, that front drive shaft may be my vibration. I am getting ready to regear to 4.10's so I am doing a complete front end rebuild. Believe that drive shaft needs delt with today though.

Charlie Lamar
Ringgold, GA
Unread 07-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafpu

Keep in mind that his shackles are reversed, so the bottom of the front shackle (if not straight up and down) should be pointed slightly to the rear while at rest. The OP's shackle angles look fine...
You are correct. I didn't notice the shackles reversal. Pics are small on my phone.

Sent from my EVO 4G using JeepForum

Unread 07-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
calpbs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well the front driveshaft is tight and I will shorten it about 2 inches so it will have no chance to bind, it is removed for now. I test drove it and still have the vibration at 20 mph. I checked the toe and it was 1/2 inch toed out. I adjusted it to zero toe. The vibration improved. I did discover the pitman arm was loose so I tightened it as well. Still have the 20 mph vibration but less pronounced. I removed the front track bar to no change. I am going to remove the rear track bar next but with low expectations. The shackles are the same legnth on both front and rear, I could drill holes in the front shackle to shorten them, not sure if that will help. I do plan on replacing the ball joints. I cant figure the vibration, hope its the driveshaft balance.

Charlie Lamar
Ringgold, GA
Unread 07-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpbs View Post
Well the front driveshaft is tight and I will shorten it about 2 inches so it will have no chance to bind, it is removed for now. I test drove it and still have the vibration at 20 mph. I checked the toe and it was 1/2 inch toed out. I adjusted it to zero toe. The vibration improved. I did discover the pitman arm was loose so I tightened it as well. Still have the 20 mph vibration but less pronounced. I removed the front track bar to no change. I am going to remove the rear track bar next but with low expectations. The shackles are the same legnth on both front and rear, I could drill holes in the front shackle to shorten them, not sure if that will help. I do plan on replacing the ball joints. I cant figure the vibration, hope its the driveshaft balance.
Do you have a new rear driveshaft with an SYE kit? T-case drop? How are your driveline angles?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.