Suspension seats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Suspension seats

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Suspension seats

Do suspensions seats help take the big jolts from off roading? My wife is having back problems and I am not ready to buy a TJ. Will the seats help smooth out the ride at all or are they a waste of money. Taking the harshness away over big rocks is my only concern.

Unread 04-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure about the seats. Although did you already take your track and sway bars off? that should soften the ride considerably.
ReconBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
Weavis
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a set and they do help, but I don't think it would be enough for someone with a back problem. They take some of the major jolts and are darn comfy, but you still get bounced around in the rough stuff.

I have also read about proper tightening of the shackles...45lbs I believe is the magic number. This supposedly softens the ride considerably.
Unread 04-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmymanYJ View Post
Not sure about the seats. Although did you already take your track and sway bars off? that should soften the ride considerably.
Yes track bars and sway bars are off. Softest shocks I can find (Skyjacker Hydros), 15 psi off road. Loose shackles. My YJ actually rides smoother than my freinds stock 06 Rubicon but another freind has a 96 TJ with Old Man Emu suspension and I can not beleive how smooth it rides. I realize it is still going to be bumpy just looking for anything that may help.
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you have back problems the only way to get a soft enough ride is to go slower. Bumps are bumps and a air ride seat may help but it will not cure what you want it to cure. Mayby go to a coil spring suspension will help.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Some of the old far, er, old timers may remember the "Baja Boot", one of the first high performance off road rigs. It was built by Mickey Thompson, and he wanted to drive it. He'd been in a bad accident and had broken his back; doctors told him no off roading, too rough. So he invented the suspension seat and drove anyway with no ill side effects that he ever told anybody about...
I'd say give it a try. See if you can contact a manufacturer directly, and explain your situation. Good Luck!
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Reading your signature line, you are currently running 2.5" Rancho springs? I have the same springs and I'm pretty sure they are one of the harshest on the market for us lightweight YJ guys. A switch to OME, BDS, or RE springs will definitely soften up your rig.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.