Suspension Lift and Winch Suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Suspension Lift and Winch Suggestions

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 03-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Suspension Lift and Winch Suggestions

Hey all,

So I traded my '87 Standard for an '89 Islander. The body has a lift on it to allow for larger (31x10.5) tires, but I want to lift the suspension as well. Any suggestions on a good lift that isn't astronomically expensive? I saw a rough country 2.5" for mid 400 and could probably find it cheaper with some searching... anyone ever used rough country? Im looking for a good cross between off road (trails, mud, etc. --not rock crawl) and on road usage.

While Im at it, I've been contemplating the smittybilt xrc 10 winch. Is that larger than I really need? Im torn between the xrc 8 or the 10. Im thinking that one can never have to much winch, which is why Im thinking of the 10.

jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You are correct in thinkin you can never have too much winch. As a recovery and safety critical part, its always best to buy the biggest you can afford (within reason). 8k is considered minimal for our yjs. If you can/want to go with the 10k winch, it is the better option, but a lot of us are using the XRC8 successfully.

Sent from my D2G

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Put alot of thought into the suspension. More so here than anywhere else, you get what you pay for. THe springs are easily the most important part of the suspension and should not be decided on price alone. Rough Country has a large following because they are cheap. They also have a ton of warranty issues with springs saggng because they are cheap. They dont ride or flex as well as some other springs because they are cheap.

Some of the top of the line springs are going BDS (not Black Diamond Suspension), Old Man Emu (OME). Rubicon Express, extreme duty was decent but they are now gone. BDS has a huge following of extremely satisfied customers, my self included. They have a no fine print warranty that basically says, if you bought them originally and you bend or break it, they will replace it. period. They ride nice and smooth, they are soft, they dont sag, bend or break. They flex really well and keep going.

I dont have any first hand experience with the OME springs, but the people who do, love them. Look for a guy on here named Poke. He has them and from his pics, they work very well for him.

Also, you dont need to buy a complete kit. With some research and planning, you can save $$$ by just ordering what you need from different suppliers. Alot of people cringe at the cost of the BDS kit, but when you see you can get the springs for $115 each, it becomes alot more affordable.

My point to all of this, is simple. You get what you pay for and springs are not the place to cheap out.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
c_coops
1995 YJ Wrangler 

^ x2
c_coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
xaran
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with most of what has been posted.

8000 LB winch is all you need but 10,000 is better and you will never need more.

Im a Rough Country owner, I got the 4" kit in Nov 2010 during a "sale' and paid 349.00 for it. Im very happy with the kit it work great for my needs and rides better than my stock springs did. Rough Country has a replacement warranty on the springs and my dealings with them have been excellent, IMO if your a DD with light to moderate off road use on the weekends the RC suspension should work well for you. Im sure there is a reason BDS and Old Man Emu is 2x to 3x the price but for my use the RC stuff seems to be fine. if you are interested in RC call them directly and ask for Ryan Chase you can get a 10% forum member discount.
1995 YJ, 2.5 l, 4:88 R&P
4" RC Lift, 1" BL, 32-11.5-15 tires
8000 lb HF Winch
xaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
CreOli
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Its hit or miss with rough country some people love them but some people hate them. You can find the 4in lift for around 500 .There is also procomp but alot of people dont like them either. I have the 4in procomp lift and no complaints on my side. You can find the procomp lift on 4wheelparts.com . How much of a body lift do you have ? As for winches i have the xrc10 winch and i love it looks great on the front and only used it once so far but did the job great. But for the extra 100 dollars you get 2k more pulling power id say go with the xrc10. Just my 2cents.
CreOli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreOli
Its hit or miss with rough country some people love them but some people hate them. You can find the 4in lift for around 500 .There is also procomp but alot of people dont like them either. I have the 4in procomp lift and no complaints on my side. You can find the procomp lift on 4wheelparts.com . How much of a body lift do you have ? As for winches i have the xrc10 winch and i love it looks great on the front and only used it once so far but did the job great. But for the extra 100 dollars you get 2k more pulling power id say go with the xrc10. Just my 2cents.
The body lift (which was on it when I got it) appears to be 2"-3", at most. It's hard to tell really. I've only had it a few days and haven't broken out a ruler yet...

I'm pretty settled on getting the xrc-10. I'd rather have more pulling power than not.

I may not ever need a suspension lift in reality, but I know me and wont truly be happy until I'm confident in being able to clear reasonable objects on the trail. But, I also plan to drive on the highway with my jeep (which is mostly a weekend vehicle), so I want it to have road manners. I've been reading about various issues with suspension lifts, such as needing steering stabilizers, tcase lifts, etc., anyone have experience with this? How high can I go without needed all this "extra stuff"?
Unread 03-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Rancho_Lifts
Vendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumphrey View Post
The body lift (which was on it when I got it) appears to be 2"-3", at most. It's hard to tell really. I've only had it a few days and haven't broken out a ruler yet...

I'm pretty settled on getting the xrc-10. I'd rather have more pulling power than not.

I may not ever need a suspension lift in reality, but I know me and wont truly be happy until I'm confident in being able to clear reasonable objects on the trail. But, I also plan to drive on the highway with my jeep (which is mostly a weekend vehicle), so I want it to have road manners. I've been reading about various issues with suspension lifts, such as needing steering stabilizers, tcase lifts, etc., anyone have experience with this? How high can I go without needed all this "extra stuff"?
So each YJ is a little different. On my 88 YJ I was able to run 33's(body lift 2" and our 2.5" spring lift) and NO t-case drop for over a decade. I also had a steering stabilizer on my YJ from 31's to 33's. My buddy has almost the same setup and had to get an SYE on his t-case once he hit 33's. Now on 35's/37's and a custom front end/axle/suspension NO steering stabilizer. This is also a weekend warrior but will do 60+ down the road.

Good luck!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic302198_9.gif
Rancho_Lifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #9
RustedWrangler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It all comes down to use, what will you use your jeep for? In my world, you would never buy the 10,000 lb winch beacuse it will be around 15 lbs heavier than the comparable 8,000 lb winch. Your vehicle should be under 4,000lbs so even without a snatch block your pulling power is double your weight.

I do a lot of rock crawling and trails, my jeep is not a daily driver so a big winch is NOT always better, if it was we'd all be buying 20,000lb hydraulic winches. If you think you will be using your Jeep to pull full size trucks out of snow banks a bigger winch might be better.

Suspension is a tough one. I don't know anyone who really beats on their Jeep offroad who has the OME or the BDS, but a lot of people who have these lifts say great things about them, I just don't know how they use them.

I have the Rough Country 4" lift with 1.25" booms and tj flares and run 35's, have broken tcases, driveshafts, but the lift has performed perfectly for the past 2 years. The lift came with shocks, tcase drop, pitman arm etc. Some of these other lifts costs twice as much and don't include some/any of those parts.

Be realistic about your useage and do your research.
Unread 03-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Being realistic, I plan to use my winch for me and my buddies on the trail. Where I live, we get a few rounds of snow/ice in the winter. I could see pulling people out for fun on that one...but that would be rare, really if ever.

Suspension wise, it would give me peace of mind knowing I had the extra clearance, mainly for just that, peace of mind. I plan to do light to moderate off roading and even logging trails when hunting season comes back around. So, for me, I'll be mostly on road, but want to have the ability to off road when I want. Ultimately, I'll be spending more time on road than off, so road manners is VERY important to me.
Unread 03-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
c_coops
1995 YJ Wrangler 

From what you're saying I think a 2-2.5" spring setup would be plenty. You can add a 1" shackle and/or body lift as well if you want to go higher. If you buy the suspension as a kit, it'll most likely include a transfer case drop so thats one less thing to worry about. If you go any higher than that, you'll start running into the more expensive modifications, ie. A high steer setup, a slip yoke eliminator and a CV driveshaft.
Unread 03-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #12
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_coops
From what you're saying I think a 2-2.5" spring setup would be plenty. You can add a 1" shackle and/or body lift as well if you want to go higher. If you buy the suspension as a kit, it'll most likely include a transfer case drop so thats one less thing to worry about. If you go any higher than that, you'll start running into the more expensive modifications, ie. A high steer setup, a slip yoke eliminator and a CV driveshaft.
I agree. I think 2-2.5" lift would be plenty. I just wasn't sure if going even that "slight" of a lift would require the tcase drop, steering stabilizer, etc. At some point would I need to consider a re-gear as well? Currently, the jeep has 3.07 in it, running 31x10.5. For me, I don't notice the trouble some have talked about having to downshift often or not using 5th. Does height matter when it goes to gear ratio or is that reserved solely for tire size?
Unread 03-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
c_coops
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Like you said, gear ratio is solely for tire size. If it doesn't bother you, don't even worry about it.
Unread 03-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
jeepinjohn88
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a rough country 4 inch lift. 2 inch body lift. I like the lift a lot I run 35's and do mostly rock crawling. U can't beat the price. Also I have the smittybilt xrc8 winch and it is the greatest thing I have ever bought for my jeep. The winch has never let me down. I highly recommend the xrc8.
jeepinjohn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #15
JLRock
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've been reading up on this thread and other ones and was wondering with a 2.5" suspension lift kit and 1" shackles and 33's would i have to worry about any other modifications due to the lift and tires?

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=13785

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=15297
JLRock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift , winch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.