Suspension lift on 29" tires?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Suspension lift on 29" tires??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-31-2001, 12:03 AM   #1
Tony & his 91' YJ

Suspension lift on 29" tires??

This is my first post. In case you were wondering?? I have a 91 YJ and was told by a 4x4 shop that they can install a 2.5" lift w/out any problems for about $800. Is this too much and will it work without lookin like total S#it??? -Tony

2.5 liter Herculined, 2.5” ProComp Suspension lift, 1.4” shackle lift, New Gibson Exhaust,31” Pro Comp Mud Terrain, Olympic Grill guard, Olympic Brush guard, smittybuilt nerf bars with step, Hella 550
tndboult@yahoo.com
91 YJ
/____\
{OlllllO}
[]---[]
Tony & his 91' YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2001, 12:19 AM   #2
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

??? Including the following I'd hope
- new springs
- new shocks
- transfer case drop spacers
- sims for the axles
- track bar relocation brackets
- new u-bolts
- extended bumpstops
- brake line relocation
& without a body lift or extended shackles

and it should look something like this
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2001, 02:46 AM   #3
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Save some money, grab a friend or two and do it yourself. That should drop the price to 500 to 600 dollars and a case of beer
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2001, 11:31 AM   #4
damonejeep

I agree with Tonka. If you have any mechanical knowledge or are atleast decent with your hands and directions, they are not terribly difficult.
One more thought to consider, are you going to be offraoding or is this just for looks? If you will be using your Jeep for its designed purpose, why not go with a higher lift: 3.5", 4" or 4.5". I recently purchased a BDS 3.5 lift from JimsOffroadWarehouse.com for about $500, and a 1" body lift. This has given me around 4.5" of lift. However, you will need new shocks, but in the end I think you will be happy with a taller lift.
Just another option to consider.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
94 4.0L YJ, 31x10.5 ProComp MT's, 3.5" BDS, lockers and 4:56 gears to come!
damonejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2001, 01:06 PM   #5
rayray

Tony,
That actually sounds a bit steep. If you would like, I know some people out in SA that could help you out. Like mentioned earlier, beer and pizza are typical compensation.

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2001, 02:24 PM   #6
Tony & his 91' YJ

Quote:
Originally posted by damonejeep:
I agree with Tonka. If you have any mechanical knowledge or are atleast decent with your hands and directions, they are not terribly difficult.
One more thought to consider, are you going to be offraoding or is this just for looks? If you will be using your Jeep for its designed purpose, why not go with a higher lift: 3.5", 4" or 4.5". I recently purchased a BDS 3.5 lift from JimsOffroadWarehouse.com for about $500, and a 1" body lift. This has given me around 4.5" of lift. However, you will need new shocks, but in the end I think you will be happy with a taller lift.
Just another option to consider.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
2.5 liter Herculined, 2.5” ProComp Suspension lift, 1.4” shackle lift, New Gibson Exhaust,31” Pro Comp Mud Terrain, Olympic Grill guard, Olympic Brush guard, smittybuilt nerf bars with step, Hella 550
tndboult@yahoo.com
91 YJ
/____\
{OlllllO}
[]---[]
Unread 05-31-2001, 02:47 PM   #7
Tony & his 91' YJ

Thanks damonejeep. Mainly I want it for what it's for. Off roadin! However, I don't want it to look retarded all jacked up with little *** tires. That's what my first concern is. -T
tndboult@yahoo.com
91 YJ
/____\
{OlllllO}
[]---[]
Unread 05-31-2001, 02:50 PM   #8
Tony & his 91' YJ

That't cool rayray. I'm up for da pizza and beer. My concern is that I want it done right the first time. I don't know who these people are but I don't want it all rigged half ***. Shoot me an email so we can all hook up sometime. I'm not lookin to do anything for about a week or two. Where's the best place to but the kit? -T
tndboult@yahoo.com
91 YJ
/____\
{OlllllO}
[]---[]
Unread 05-31-2001, 06:47 PM   #9
rayray

I sent you an email with some info.

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2001, 09:27 PM   #10
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its hard to screw up a lift, and I know of 3 people running 215's with 4.5 inches of lift on their 2 tj's and one yj. spend $3.00 on some stickers and put "under construction" on the jeep somewhere. If you frequently offroad, then the goofy looks and a larger lift are the way to go. Remember that your rig will only be that way temporarily and it will save you some cash in the long run.
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.