Suspension discussion/help, 94 yj 3.5-4" lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Suspension discussion/help, 94 yj 3.5-4" lift

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
Kicksforlaughs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Suspension discussion/help, 94 yj 3.5-4" lift

I am a new owner of a 94 yj. For the past few days I have been doing a lot of research about lift kits and everything else having to do with the subject but I still need help deciding the best choice for my needs. So to prevent a can of worms from opening I am going to try and be as specific as possible with what I am looking for and hopefully I can get some suggestions, experiences, problems I will need to watch out for, etc.

Car Specifics:
1994 4.0L Jeep Wrangler yj, 30x9.5 on 15x8 Ultra Wheels
Budget: I'm in college and budget is really tight, so around $800 max.
Desired Tire Size: 33x12.5. (I have a nice set of 30x9.5 tires that I will probably have on there until they wear or I can sell them)
Desired Lift: 3.5-4.0"

From my research I have narrowed it down to the BDS 3.5" Lift (More spendy, so I would need to hunt for best price) and Rubicon Express 4" Standard Kit. I would like to focus on these but if there is another kit worth mentioning then please do.

Lastly, I have noticed in reviews that quite a few people are buying these kits for well below what I am finding them for online. If anyone can tell me where they are getting these deals that would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by Kicksforlaughs; 06-28-2010 at 09:31 PM..
Kicksforlaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
YJMonster
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I guess it really depends on the quality you want
I have a rought country 2.5 lift with 1/2 boomerang shackles and im gonna throw tube fenders on to fit 33's without having to go with a slip yoke eliminator and ds. I have heard that you can go with a 4" lift without doing an sye but i think it is suggested to do it at the same time. One the brand side of it i have heard good things about BDS and i used to have a rubicon express on my xj and had no problems, having said that i have had no problems at all with the rc lift i have now and i would buy another one.
Unread 06-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Kicksforlaughs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input YJMonster. As far as quality goes I want the best my budget can afford which is why I am asking for others opinions. I understand that all lift kits are pretty rough but there have to be some that are better than others.
Unread 06-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just installed a 4" Lift. Here's a couple links to my posts on it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...rived-1044786/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...esome-1055437/
glenn-91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would personally pass up rough country. I still hear and see springs sag even with the new springs. BDS and Rubicon Express are the 2 I would be debating on. BDS has an awesome warranty also.

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

BDS. Military wrap, and they back up their product. That would be my choice. I can't think of any other spring I would choose in your price range. Get BDS.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with BDS, I love my springs. As far as the price goes.. I am not sure of your locality but go to BDS's site and look for local dealers in your area. They can usually get you a better price and no shipping costs. It seems as if BDS tries to support local shops as you do not see it listed on large internet shops.
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
acat
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Call Bob Supplee in Oklahoma City. his number is 405 799 8977. He sells BDS suspension and gave me a hell of a deal on 3.5 inch springs etc. Try pricing the kit out seperately and it could save you some more money. I didn't get the whole kit because I didn't need some items (brake line drop brackets, pitman arm, tcd. etc.).
acat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
Kicksforlaughs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the responses, I am going check some of the local dealers and see if I can get a good deal from them and if not I can try piecing it out.
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
BDS-Tech

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm partial to the BDS kit, of course. I think you'd be very happy with how those springs flex, and ride.

Depending on your ZIP code, Go Big Performance in Ventura or Hardcore 4x4 in Visalia would be your closest distributors. If you go Here and plug in your Zip code, that will give you the closest shop. We should have that kit in stock in our west coast warehouse.

tech@bds-suspension.com
phone: 517-279-2135

http://www.bds-suspension.com/
BDS-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #11
Kicksforlaughs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Talking to Go Big Performance right now actually, hopefully I can get the price down into my budget!
Unread 06-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #12
Jeeper_YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJMonster View Post
I guess it really depends on the quality you want
I have a rought country 2.5 lift with 1/2 boomerang shackles and im gonna throw tube fenders on to fit 33's without having to go with a slip yoke eliminator and ds. I have heard that you can go with a 4" lift without doing an sye but i think it is suggested to do it at the same time. One the brand side of it i have heard good things about BDS and i used to have a rubicon express on my xj and had no problems, having said that i have had no problems at all with the rc lift i have now and i would buy another one.
I did 4" and needed a SYE. The DS was extended out to far and pulled TC fluid out while I was driving and emptied my TC and killed it. I have heard others say the same has happen to them.
'97 Cherokee, 99+ intake, 62mm TB, 703 injectors (new), k&n intake, Hypertech III, 180* stat (1/8" drilled hole), 2.5" manifold 2 tail pipe (Hooker Maxflow & hi flow cat), Perf header, 4.5" zone lift, 32" GY Dura Trac, Rear head rests. Comp cam "231" & Perf head (LS1 BIG valves 2.02/1.62). 3 row alum radiator.
Jeeper_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:10 PM   #13
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

my 3.5" fabtech is a great lift, flexes good and rides decent.
Unii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 12:16 AM   #14
Kicksforlaughs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Unii I just checked out your build and it was awesome! Mine is the same color and well lets just say someone told me it looked "cute". You gave me hope that I can make it look BA
Unread 07-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #15
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicksforlaughs View Post
Unii I just checked out your build and it was awesome! Mine is the same color and well lets just say someone told me it looked "cute". You gave me hope that I can make it look BA
haha thanks man
Unii is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.