Suspension and Carb problems HELP!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Suspension and Carb problems HELP!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
TheWagoneer

Suspension and Carb problems HELP!!

Ok so I'm new here and im new to wranglers and i need some help.

I bought a 1990 YJ I6 5 speed today ine nice shape except its been modded a bit and i want to go back to stock the best i can with the suspension because Im not going mudding or rock climbing anytime soon and id perfer it be more daily driver friendly. so heres my issues.

It has been SOA swapped and i want to go back to SUA due to the wondering steering and bumpsteer and becasue ive got a special plan for this thing that i will reveal later.
I have no idea how to undo it, it looks like all stock stuff except the shocks and steering dampener which I'll replace with something oem size but maybe a bit more durable than oem. So can i just unbolt the axles (leaving them in place as they sit. Unbolt the springs and pull the springs out and just lay them back on top and be good to go after its all bolted back up or do i need to index everything somehow? Does anyone have some detailed pictures of how it should look afterwards when its done?

Next:

It has 33x12.50 r15 wheels and tires on it and i HATE them! I want to go back to somthing back close to OEM size. The main reason is they are just not my style and also they seem to be too heavy or somthing and cause the jeep to struggle and make the clutch jiggle when i take off and its killing the gearing for 5th gear. BUt another possible casue is the Carb. It has a weber 11046 on it and i dont know if its the right size for the engine or what and it most likely is not hooked up right or needs a rebuild . Does anyone have any info on how it should be hooked up and weather the EGR needs to be hooked to vaccume source and where if so? basically i need pics of a proper install including the linkage adjustments

thanks for any help you can offer guys

TheWagoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The EGR should be hooked up so that it does not get vacuum at idle. Some people remove it, but it's better to keep it on, it reduces combustion temperatures (one of the few things that is good for emissions and good for the engine)

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

This site shows all the OEM stuff and where it connects.

Your EGR vac needs to go through the CTO so it doesn't open when the engine is cold
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
jbrown73
Live free or die

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wagoneer, if you are wanting to return your suspension to its original condition, I happen to have Skyjacker Hydro 7000 rear shocks for sale that fit the original height. They were bolted on only to discover I had ordered the wrong ones & then taken back off. I have them listed in the classified section for $50....that's negotiable just PM me & we can discuss.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/...hocks-1545355/
jbrown73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You should've looked for one that was closer to stock

You can fix the SOA so that it drives like like a stock jeep. You can't just bolt the springs to the bottom of the axle. The spring perches on top will have to be cut off and new ones would have to be welded on. At this point it'd be easier to buy axles that are already SUA and install those and sell yours. Unless of course you can weld.
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Mine was a poorly done SOA when I bought it. The original perches were still there. Took a day to swap everything around, worked out fine.
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
TheWagoneer

mine seem to still be there, so i guess i can swap it back? what about the steering dampener? right now its horizontal but if i move it all back to its original location it will end up at an angle is that ok?

Also when looking at my carb i think the vac line for the dist is hooked up wrong, its coming off some other vac lines not the side of the carb is that wrong?
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #8
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

depends on where that vacuum line goes to. mine is run from a tee also
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
TheWagoneer

i switched the vac line over and runs better, still juggles the drive train when coming out of a dead stop, havent figured that out yet, maybe its the 33x12.50r15's too heavy for the gearing or maybe my clutch is ****ed up?
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWagoneer View Post
i switched the vac line over and runs better, still juggles the drive train when coming out of a dead stop, havent figured that out yet, maybe its the 33x12.50r15's too heavy for the gearing or maybe my clutch is ****ed up?
I have 33x12.5 on my 2.5 with stock gearing and I have no issue's. If I let my GF drive it she gets clutch chatter like you describe but she still has a way to go before she can say she knows how to drive a manual.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just sell your current Yj for one that is stock or close to stock.
Unread 07-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
TheWagoneer

i know how to drive a stick so thats not the issue lol and im not selling it either, i got this one for 4k and around here thats CHEAP
Unread 07-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWagoneer View Post
i know how to drive a stick so thats not the issue lol and im not selling it either, i got this one for 4k and around here thats CHEAP
Not if you gotta drop 4 k more in itto fix it

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Check your torque arm bushing, that is usually the reason for the chatter on take off. Well that and stock gearing with 33's, your applying a lot of torque trying to turn those tires.The torque arm bushing is part of the tranny mount attached with a bolt and some rubber bushings through the skid plate.
Id throw the jeep on craigslist barter and trade for a clean running non modded wrangler. I bet you would get a lot of offers since most would like a lifted wrangler, and maybe you would get lucky and get a fuel injected one for trade.
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #15
TheWagoneer

im already attached to mine lol, plus i just paid registration and in florida it costs an arm and a leg. I dont mind working on it I've been a mech for 15 years 5 of which I had my own shop, it runs good just needs some love and I perfer carbs over fuel injection anyway. Also I have a guy that wants to trade my wheels for the correct wheels im looking for with good tires.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.