suspension bolt torque? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > suspension bolt torque?

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
jetboat
1987 YJ Wrangler 

suspension bolt torque?

I pieced together my lift so I dont have any instruction... Whats the torque on all the bolts supposed to be (on the ground with vehicle weight).

jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Go to one of the more popular (read - reliable/quality) suspension kit company's website (EG: RE, BDS etc) check the torque listed in the install instructions.

Adjust as you see fit. EG: Lots of folks torque the suspension bushing bolts on the shackles to less than is typically listed as long as you are using a nylock nut.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
laffman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

45 ft lb.
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
I pieced together my lift so I dont have any instruction... Whats the torque on all the bolts supposed to be (on the ground with vehicle weight).
www.kelleyswip.com/tech.html. If I've got an FSM for your year (or close to it,) specs are there. I do have a few to add - but all specs are from factory literature.

NB: Snug the bolts up with the vehicle in the air, but put it on all four tyres and "bounce" the bumper a couple of times before you actually torque them - back them out about a half-turn from "snug" then torque them down.

Why? If you torque things down with the suspension at full droop, you're going to incorrectly preload your bushings, and mightily accelerate bushing wear!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.