Suspension/Body/shackle combo question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Suspension/Body/shackle combo question

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
jjs89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Suspension/Body/shackle combo question

Hey Guys- I have a 3 inch suspension lift with a one inch body lift on the jeep now, but am in the process of a frame-off rust fix (build thread to come) and need to replace my shackles. I want to add boomerangs (will probably go with BERSRK).. Can I use boomerang shackles that provide a 1/2" of lift without affecting geometries or the need for a SYE?
Thanks- JS

jjs89yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

The set up you want to run is really close to what I have. After installing the booms, I had to play with the trq on the bolts a little bit. Additionally, my steering needed to be tweaked with some small shims to correct my caster( felt a little loose going down the road).
There are some that have no troubles at all, this is just my experience.
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

How are you using your Jeep? The shackles will cause some geometry issues but at 1/2" they should be reasonable. I know they are on mine. The SYE is recommended at about
4" of lift. Your right there. With that much lift you might be needing the CV shaft to help control vibrations and moving the slip yoke to the shaft instead of it coming out of the transfer case is a good thing. I'd be looking at getting the SYE.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
jjs89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

its in pieces right now, but i'd like to build it to have tolerable road manners and be a mildly capable weekend trail rig. i was thinking if I could get an additional 1/2" of clearance for minimal cost it might be worth it, but it sounds like I should hold off and wait until SYE is in the cards. Thanks fellas.
Unread 07-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1/2" shackles will not change much. You will be in SYE territory though. You already are to be honest. If you have good flex you could already be risking dropping the driveshaft.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
You will be in SYE territory though. You already are to be honest. If you have good flex you could already be risking dropping the driveshaft.
Exactly
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Slip yoke eliminator is always a good idea. Everytime you add or remove a suspension component its like playing jenga sometimes they come out like they were meant to be removed and sometimes you end up just walking away from a disaster.
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
Slip yoke eliminator is always a good idea. Everytime you add or remove a suspension component its like playing jenga: sometimes they come out like they were meant to be removed and sometimes you end up just walking away from a disaster.
Best example of a YJ build I have ever heard *golf claps*
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

spring lifts dont really change your pinion angle, they just put you closer and closer to the u-joints binding because the shaft is so steep.

when you add longer shackles you are rotating the rear spring forward some and pointing the pinion yoke up more, which is good for SYE, not for stock shaft.

You can get some shackles cheap and try it out, but be prepared to go SYE or swap the stockers back. Test this before you go splurging on bigger tires, etc.

Degree shims are still an option to point it back down, but that's just digging deeper.
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
jjs89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the information guys. Looks like I'll be working in a SYE with the rebuild.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.