suspension or body lift? or both? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > suspension or body lift? or both?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
jammin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

suspension or body lift? or both?

I need to lift my 94 wrangler. What are your suggestions? Body or suspension? I only need to lift it a couple of inches at most. Thanks. Javin.

jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

1" body lift plus 1" shackle lift if money is an issue. 2.5" suspension lift if not.

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There are certain reasons certain people will do say a 1 inch body lift. But understand this is kind of a hot potato, this subject. Some are dead set against them, and prefer say cutting to make room. Others make certain valid points for using them. But keep the body lift as low as possible if you should decide to go with one. I think most would agree on that. But jammin, I think an approx 2.5 inch suspension lift is going to serve you much better than a body lift will. You can always add a 1 inch body lift later on after the suspension lift if you need a little more room. Just understand, there are clearly two camps on this subject,(body lifts) and you will get different views.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
There are certain reasons certain people will do say a 1 inch body lift. But understand this is kind of a hot potato, this subject. Some are dead set against them, and prefer say cutting to make room. Others make certain valid points for using them. But keep the body lift as low as possible if you should decide to go with one. I think most would agree on that. But jammin, I think an approx 2.5 inch suspension lift is going to serve you much better than a body lift will. You can always add a 1 inch body lift later on after the suspension lift if you need a little more room. Just understand, there are clearly two camps on this subject,(body lifts) and you will get different views.
couldnt have said it better. I did the suspension first (primarily because i needed new leafs and shocks) but also knowing that later on, I can add on a 1" body lift, which will replace the mounts at the same time, and give me an extra inch of lift for not much money. I wouldnt go higher than an inch though, after that the gap starts getting ugly, not to mention other issues
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
jonzjeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Body lifts over a 1 - 1.25 can really get squirrely and make you rig less
stable / top heavy. IMHO the appearance of your Jeep looks bad after any
additional height over 1.25" in a body lift. In small amounts, under 1.25" is
generally accepted.

Shackle lifts use the same theory in that a modest lift amounts doesn't effect
your steering geometry to much and and also is a inexpensive way to gain
some additional height. From 5/8th to 1" is what is generally accepted and
the max you would want to go with any shackle lift.

Using them together is no problem and a great, inexpensive way to gain 1.5
to 2.25" of lift on a budget. You could purchase 2 sets of 1" lift shackles for
around 140.00 along with a decent 1.25" body lift for an additional 150.00
bucks to give you around 2.25" of lift for under 300.00 bucks. No additional
modifications would be needed.

Of course a suspension is the better choice but is slightly more expensive. I
purchased my 4" Rough Country suspension lift with all the extra goodies,
shipped to my door for around 550.00. I installed it myself so there was no
additional cost for that. An install would run you around an additional 300.00
to 400.00.

I say Go For It !

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.