Is Supertop worth the money? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is Supertop worth the money?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
kbktulsa
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i installed my new supertop about a month ago, when i tried to hook the rear legs to the body the stiching pulled out! Not happy with the top at all. i took it off and put it in the attic. will try and buy a hard top before next winter and just use a bikini top for now also bought soft doors and uppers, they didnt fit worth a crap, so bought upper sliders for 1/2 doors, the drivers side fit perfect, but cant close the passanger door with the window on it. . I have checked the measurment for the windshield, giving by bestop, it is deadon, checked the angle of the windshield both sides, it is exactly the same, the parts are just that far off. I have allways used bestops on all my jeeps, but will never buy another one.

Unread 04-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #17
ohio79
2011 JK Wrangler 

Theres a similar thread being discussed closer to the begining of the YJ threads. I like my softopper though. It uses less parts than the Rampage one
ohio79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #18
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Personally I prefer the frame design of the OEM top over the Bestop. The rear Y shaped tension support bars on the Supertop that use the pin to stay in place wears out over time and would loosen up while driving all the time for me.

Plus the Y shaped support bars of the Supertop scratch up the rear windows and slap the plastic while driving. I like how the OEM top has no obstructions in the rear windows.

Also, you can buy things like the tonnau / rear deck cover from numerous companies rather than the Bestop only for the Supertop.

The OEM frame folds up nicer than the Supertop too. And like others said, you can buy new skin cheap from several companies.

Where the Supertop is better - no snaps. Plus it's faster to put back up.
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #19
ziebartrob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just replaced my Steel Horse top with a Bestop/Replaceatop (#51123-37[spice]) back in Feb, and I LOVE it! I used all my factory hardware and kept my 1/2 door upper sliders instead of using the zip up ones that came with it. I friggin love my sliding window uppers. The material seems to be higher quality, the double stitching looks to be quality and it fit on the original hardware like a glove. So far no complaints at all! The real test will come over the spring/summer/fall months when it goes up and down a hundred times. FWIW mine says "Assembled in Mexico" on the back of the BestTop tag.

Last edited by ziebartrob; 04-26-2012 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Not made in US or China??
ziebartrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #20
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Super did and does make the Mopar top. There have been a few more complaints about the quality since moving the after market tops to China and the JK plant to Mexico. There is a Besttop rep that use to hang out on the forum. Geoff. I havent 't seen him in a long while. You might be able to get a discount on a new one if you can find the rep here.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #21
madness25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTinkerer View Post
I currently have some ragged Supertop uppers. They have the rounded corner. Would these match up with the SoftTopper ? How about the Rampage frameless soft top? Would my Supertop upper doors match it?

I've searched in vain for replacement skins for the Supertop soft upper doors. I'm thinking I might get square cornered skins, turn them inside out, sew a rounded corner and trim off the excess. Anyone tried this?

I appreciate the help.
i just installed the SoftTopper frameless top about a month ago and it was really easy. It took me about 4 hours that with drilling all the holes for the little bit of hardware that it comes with. Any rounded uppers will work with the SoftTopper they just have to shaped a little to get a good seal. The rampage top needs the squared uppers and when i tried to order mine it was on backorder for a month so i went with the SoftTopper. Also it looks great on the jeep.
madness25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #22
NCTinkerer
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I appreciate all of the input you guys have provided. I'll probably get a complete Rampage top which includes OEM frame, complete upper doors, hardware, etc. Has anyone heard of any quality issues with the Rampage tops?
NCTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #23
madness25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

this is what the softtopper top looks like with the supertop uppers. the uppers needed a little convincing to seal but they are good now.

madness25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #24
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

supertop is way louder than my stock style top. I wish i never switched but I kind of had to switching to full hard doors. If I could do it again I would have adapted a TJ style soft top to my jeep or just bought a used hard top
YJ4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #25
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have no idea why people have so many complaints about the supertop, mine is as quiet as can be, hardly any flapping, even with the windows down...

11' F250 - DD

1982 Toyota Pick-Up - Spray-On Yellow Rhino Lined - Chevrolet 305 H.O. - SM465 - NP208C - All-Pro Off Road 5" Springs - 35x15.50x15 Super Swampers
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #26
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have any complaint about mine either. They have a good quality rep. The problem they had was definitely related to the move of their operations. I think they are resolved now.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #27
NCTinkerer
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I wound up with a Bestop Replacement top. I had to scrounge up an original frame, but it saved me money overall. I also had to get square corner upper door frames. Looks good and fits perfectly. Now I don't have to bungee a tarp over the YJ every time I come home.
93 YJ, $3500.00: What I've done so far - tires; Soft top & frame; turn signal switch; plugs, cap, rotor & wires; new fluids; mirrors; 2 row aluminum radiator, water pump, hoses & thermostat; brake lines and hoses; Transfer case output seal; rear diff crush sleeve and yoke seal; rear wheel cylinders and shoes;
NCTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #28
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
Plus the Y shaped support bars of the Supertop scratch up the rear windows and slap the plastic while driving.
I've noticed this on mine. Gotten worse since I bought the Jeep two years ago. It's why I don't really care about carefully storing the windows to prevent scratching. I would have to say this this is a design oversight, or a clever way to get more sales on new side windows. Not sure how old mine is (they don't make grey tops or grey 2-piece doors anymore), but the fabric and stitching is holding up fairly well.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #29
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I wrapped those bars with black styrofoam pipe insulation. Looks like it should come like this anyway. Saved the widows and rattled less when folded down and driving.

Forget which diameter insulation I used. Maybe 1". Whatever, it's really cheap.
Unread 05-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #30
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have styrofoam on the Y-supports (like that when I bought it from the PO) and the windows are still worn from contact.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestop , soft , supertop , top , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.