Supertop question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Supertop question

The Boss is away but Erin is here to STAY with a F.Y.S. SaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
jamison
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Supertop question

I just got a supertop for my yj with soft uppers.

Man this thing is loud. Much louder than the ragged 95 factory top I just replaced.

It seems really loose and I have tried all 4 tightness settings. I am thinking of returning it to quadratrc but I don't want to pay 50 bucks to ship it back. Any ideas?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

jamison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
ShadowSentry
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've had two supertops since I bought my jeep 8 years ago. seems loose but actually stays on until about the sixth year then it starts blowing off. What is loose exactly?
ShadowSentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #3
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure the flaps around the doors have the flaps in the right spot. Also check to see if the foam isnt in right spot on the bows. I added some pipe insulation from home depot to my supertop and it was great.
Unread 04-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison View Post
It seems really loose and I have tried all 4 tightness settings.
I'm guessing your Adjustment setting is like mine. I normally use the first hole on a really warm day when things are soft I can make the second. Sounds like something is not right. Maybe an exchange is in order. They should eat return shipping for a defective product.
Unread 04-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #5
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I used the first hole on my supertop. With the full steel doors.and some pipe installation on the center bow it's quiet. With the 2 piece doors if I keep the blower motor on the lowest setting it doesn't make noise either.
Unread 04-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
TennesseeYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have full soft doors with my Supertop. I make it to the 1 hole when its a bit cold. After the sun beats on it for a while I can stretch it to the 2 hole. I have no issues with the top being loose. I hate the velcro around the upper door frames. I drive about 32 miles one way to work. When I hit the highway running about 70, that velcro that wraps around the top door frame seems to come undone. If I don't catch it, it eventually pulls between the top door seal and top .. therefore flapping in the wind. I like the top over all .. but Bestop did a lousy job with the velcro!
TennesseeYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #7
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeYJ
I have full soft doors with my Supertop. I make it to the 1 hole when its a bit cold. After the sun beats on it for a while I can stretch it to the 2 hole. I have no issues with the top being loose. I hate the velcro around the upper door frames. I drive about 32 miles one way to work. When I hit the highway running about 70, that velcro that wraps around the top door frame seems to come undone. If I don't catch it, it eventually pulls between the top door seal and top .. therefore flapping in the wind. I like the top over all .. but Bestop did a lousy job with the velcro!
No issues with mine with soft doors on the hiway at 75mph for 60 mile trips. Did you measure your windshield to tailgate lengths and are you getting the velcro all the way sealed ?
Unread 04-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #8
TennesseeYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
No issues with mine with soft doors on the hiway at 75mph for 60 mile trips. Did you measure your windshield to tailgate lengths and are you getting the velcro all the way sealed ?
It's just that the velcro is weak. The whole tops fits like a surgical glove. Just that darn velcro .. lol. The side panel on the passenger side, the velcro is tearing off at the stitches. Fabric is fine .. just the velcro. Drivers side door upper gets sucked out flapping like bat wings if I don't catch it to re-stick the velcro.

Luckily I really didnt have a whole lot of money in the whole set up. I traded a NP203 and TH400 from a 3/4 ton chevy I used to abuse for the whole top .. doors and all. The top is like new .. except for the cheesy velcro. So, over all I really cant complain.
TennesseeYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #9
jamison
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I called Quadratec. they said they would gladly replace any piece i chose and suggested i call bestop to figure out which piece(s) to start with. I did this and bestop suggested the deck cover (top) could have been sewn incorrectly. I called Quadratec back and they decided just to ship me a whole new kit (upper doors and everything). Then asked that i ship back a complete set with whatever i didnt put on my Jeep.

Even though im running in the 4th hole currently, i can push each side up another inch or so without too much effort.

i'll report back after fedex arrives.
Unread 04-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #10
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison View Post
I called Quadratec. they said they would gladly replace any piece i chose and suggested i call bestop to figure out which piece(s) to start with. I did this and bestop suggested the deck cover (top) could have been sewn incorrectly. I called Quadratec back and they decided just to ship me a whole new kit (upper doors and everything). Then asked that i ship back a complete set with whatever i didnt put on my Jeep.

Even though im running in the 4th hole currently, i can push each side up another inch or so without too much effort.

i'll report back after fedex arrives.
wow 4th hole eh?

This measurement is key; I'd check this first:

don't worry about the roll bar, that didn't change the supertop dimensions.
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
AZdEvilYJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think Bestops quality has gone down hill.

I had a super top on my jeep when I bought it an it was ~ 8-9 years old when I traded it off. Sat tight, no flap, and no stitching issues.

I got a new one this last winter and its thinner material, poor stitching coming undone on the tailgate bar, and it flaps in the wind badly on the freeway.

I'm going to try the pipe insulation to see if I can tighten it up more.

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2015, 07:51 AM   #12
jamison
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Fedex came yesterday and dropped off the new top. I also checked my measurements (75 and 3/16 on both sides).

The new top is MUCH tighter. it took considerable more force to get it in the first hole. I think i could force it to the second, but decided not to. It was all i could do to get the side windows put in.

I wend ahead and replaced my bows and windows as well since they were in the box. No flapping this morning running 70. i did a stretch with all windows, then removed sides and back. Actually not too loud. I think the soft uppers were the majority of the sound. I may try my hard doors tonight and see if it makes things any quieter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
I think Bestops quality has gone down hill.

I had a super top on my jeep when I bought it an it was ~ 8-9 years old when I traded it off. Sat tight, no flap, and no stitching issues.

I got a new one this last winter and its thinner material, poor stitching coming undone on the tailgate bar, and it flaps in the wind badly on the freeway.

I'm going to try the pipe insulation to see if I can tighten it up more.
I'd have to say i agree with this. not only was the top cut or sewn wrong, when i got the new hardware, the foam was torn up on one half and the other half had the little door surround locker thing put in backwards.
Unread 04-09-2015, 08:40 AM   #13
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

My full steel doors are quieter with my supertop then my soft doors
Unread 04-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #14
AZdEvilYJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
My full steel doors are quieter with my supertop then my soft doors
x100 Thats not even a comparison

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2015, 04:04 PM   #15
jamison
1995 YJ Wrangler 

To further speak to their quality. I just noticed that the replacement I got in has a whole in the top above the back seat. I'm about to say screw it and get a softopper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.