Is the supertop junk? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is the supertop junk?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Styx
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Is the supertop junk?

So I bought my first Jeep about five months ago (92 4.0) and it really needed a new top as a few zippers were broken as well as some of the hardware. After talking to a few Jeepers I bought a new Supertop with hardware and new uppers for my half doors. The seal between the uppers and the top leaks like crazy! I have adjusted (bent) them like the instructions say and they aren't much better. Anyone else have this issue and know of a fix?

Styx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
tsalmeto
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I bought a used Supertop with full soft doors for $35 at an auction. Mine seals up pretty good. I get some leaking at the front, but it's because some stitching needs to be repaired at the top front corner where it fits into the windshield track. I've had it in deep water over the bottom door opening and no leaks.
tsalmeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 05:22 AM   #3
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i dont have a problem with leaks i just hate putting the windows on, PITA
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
bhartwell59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i found at highway speed the half door panels on mine were flapping about. i concluded there wasn't a fix.

that's why i ditched the supertop and went back to the oem Jeep top with the frame ribbing (that kept rain out) and sealed things a little better.

too bad... the supertop was $450, ahem, out the window.
4.2 '87 yj, 300,000+ miles, mopar mpi, 33" bfg mud KM2, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 sye conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow cat/custom exhaust, 4wd rear bumper/swing-out tire carrier
bhartwell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
tsalmeto
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartwell59 View Post
i found at highway speed the half door panels on mine were flapping about. i concluded there wasn't a fix.

that's why i ditched the supertop and went back to the oem Jeep top with the frame ribbing (that kept rain out) and sealed things a little better.

too bad... the supertop was $450, ahem, out the window.
Yeah, when it's windy mine pull away from the jeep a bit. I thought about taking both zippers to the top middle of the door and fashioning some kind of hook around the roll bar that would hook into the small hole in the metal pull of the zipper that would keep it from pulling away.
Unread 09-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
BondoBbad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I bought a brand new supertop from quadratec last year for about 800 bucks and have regretted it ever since. It is such a pos. It doesn't fit very well, and it leaks really bad. It's horribly loud on the highway. Ant it is such a pain to put up or down..
BondoBbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
tsalmeto
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondoBbad View Post
Yeah I bought a brand new supertop from quadratec last year for about 800 bucks and have regretted it ever since. It is such a pos. It doesn't fit very well, and it leaks really bad. It's horribly loud on the highway. Ant it is such a pain to put up or down..
It's the only top I've had, so nothing to compare too, but I don't think it's too bad to put up or down. It is loud though, but I would imagine they all are. Especially without carpet, or any other sound deadening in the Jeep.

What I really don't like is the side bars that provide tension in the back. The brackets bend way too easy, are a pain to adjust, and rub the windows. I added extra pieces of foam pipe insulation.
Unread 09-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
BondoBbad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsalmeto View Post
It's the only top I've had, so nothing to compare too, but I don't think it's too bad to put up or down. It is loud though, but I would imagine they all are. Especially without carpet, or any other sound deadening in the Jeep.

What I really don't like is the side bars that provide tension in the back. The brackets bend way too easy, are a pain to adjust, and rub the windows. I added extra pieces of foam pipe insulation.
I don't think any amount of carpet or insulation would keep my top from sounding like a marching band in my backseat. The top flapping all over the place is loud not just the Jeep with the softtop on. One time one of my side windows actually came out of the "patented belt rail system" on the 4 lane and I thought it was going to take the rest of the top off with it. I hate my supertop, even on the highest hole on the spreader bow its still loose as a goose. I had to drill my holes higher up on it and it just keeps stretching out until those don't work anymore. The only thing that makes it any better than an oem top is the lack of button snaps.

But the weird thing is that my boss has had a supertop on his cj for about 5 or 6 years and he loves it. It fits way better than my does and just feels like its made better. I guess when they stopped making them in the us the quality when to hell.
BondoBbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Styx
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like it is a POS and I'm not an idiot (at least not in this case). Not about to fork over the money for another brand new top so I guess I'll wait until this one is worn out and get a different one.
Unread 09-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've had one for the last about 5 years and a factory softtop before. The supertop fit alot better than the factory top that I guess had shrunk over the years. If you add some foam to the bars of the top it'll get rid of most of the flapping also you may have to adjust the upper frames on the doors for a better seal. With my hard doors the top is super quiet but as soon as I put soft doors on the air gets in around the top corner and the wholething flaps. If you open the window the doors dont flap anymore. Unless they changed since I bought mine they are the best you'll get.
Unread 09-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
So I bought my first Jeep about five months ago (92 4.0) and it really needed a new top as a few zippers were broken as well as some of the hardware. After talking to a few Jeepers I bought a new Supertop with hardware and new uppers for my half doors. The seal between the uppers and the top leaks like crazy! I have adjusted (bent) them like the instructions say and they aren't much better. Anyone else have this issue and know of a fix?
Have you contacted Bestop and told them about the issue? You may have gotten a defective one. You may not have, either. I bought a Supertop for my 87 (when I had it). It was noisy as hell and the windows would leak when there was a heavy rain. Light mist was ok, but if it was steady, I was going to get wet.

In the end, I'd sell the Supertop and buy a Softopper. Ive heard nothing but good about them. I plan to purchase one for my 89, even though I have a hardtop, to use for 3 seasons.
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #12
Joe203

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm about to trade my factory top for a Supertop this morning. I hated reading these posts. My soft upper doors panels flap too and the Supertop ones looked like they would be better. It also appears that the Supertop can be tightened easier and the design is like the Tigertop I had on my CJ-3A. I also think my CJ soft door will work better with the Supertop, at least I hope so. Plus if I decide to put full hard doors on, they will work with the Supertop. As to taking the side and rear windows out and in I can't imagine anything worse that putting a rear window in the factory top. The top zipper is awful.
Joe203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
Styx
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The zippers are the same plus there is a big flap on the front that wraps around the vertical bars and velcros to itself and the top. I would go back to the factory style top in a heartbeat but everyone has different opinions. If I was you I would try to look at a supertop and see if you like it before you trade.
Unread 09-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
ar4130
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with jhumphrey.
Maybe you got a defective one....or maybe it wasn't installed correctly???
I've had several supertops on my jeeps over the years, including my present jeep, and never had any problems. Ive been very happy with all of them. It deffinately should not be as loose as your describing, especially for a new top.

Got any pics?
1992 YJ -2.5 Old Man Emu lift, RC 1-1/4" Boom greasable shackles, JKS Discos, 1" Daystar BL, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's mounted on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, flush mounted tailights, SJFab front bumper, TKH Fab swingout tire carrier welded to a Dirtworx rear bumper, Tuffy stereo console, RC SS Extended brake lines, Home brew plate relocation bracket, Magnaflow Cat, Dynomax Cat back, No track bars front or rear
1997 XJ - 4.5 RC coils + extra OEM spring isolator(6.5" actual front), OME medium duty springs+OME extra leaf + Teraflex 1.5 shackles (6.5" actual in rear), OME Long travel shocks, OME SS, IRO Adj TB, IRO Adj LCA'S, IRO Adj Uppers, RC Control arm drop brackets, JKS Quicker Discos, SYE / XJ shaft, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, RC SS extended Brake lines, Hella 500's
1996 ZJ - RE 2 inch BB w/shocks (rides like crap), OME SS, 31x10.5x15 General Grabber AT2's - SOLD
ar4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

No - the supertop is not junk.
I am on my second because the first one wore out - it lasted 8 years.
This one is about 4 and I have ZERO complaints.

The upper half part of the Jeep doors is your problem.
It's a neat thought, but a poor design.
Get some full steel doors and you will love your supertop.
They hold the top in place much better and the noise is reduced.
When the whole top is closed up in the winter, it's dead silent.

Another thing to note - if you get a super top new, don't ever adjust it past the first notch. It's going to make whatever noise it wants and you can't change it. If you always use the first notch the stitching will last longer because it isn't being stretched so much.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.