supertop install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > supertop install

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Mameluke
1993 YJ Wrangler 

supertop install

against my better judgment (after reading on here and other sites that bestop has really gone to hell in recent years), i bought a new supertop and hardware this week to replace my factory top. i got all the hardware installed with no issues, but when i went to put the main top piece on, it just flat will not go on. i know new tops are a pain sometimes because they havent stretched out any, but if i hook the front of the top into the windshield channel, the top is a full four inches from being able to hook into the back corners. i tried hooking in the back corners first and same thing, top front of the top was a full four inches from the windshield.

i'm going to wait until the sun is out bc i know it will stretch some, but man, i dont think its going to stretch four inches. any ideas? or did i just get one that was cut wrong and need to send it back?

Mameluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
attentionwhore
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The bars that go to the upper rear corner, leave them loose until you get the top secured on the belt rail. Then slide them up and stick the little tab in one of the holes. This makes it easier to stretch the top out. If you have the installation instructions, it's step 12. If not...here

http://www.bestop.com/images/install...ides/51600.pdf
[COLOR="Green"]You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You may not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home the first two things you are going to do are: 1) Call someone with a gun. 2) Pray to God they get there in time.
~unknown[/COLOR]
attentionwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

^ What is said above.

FWIW Bestop still makes a decent product. I haven't had any issues with any of their products I own (Supertop, Bikini, Windjammer, Duster cover) nor have I noticed a quality decrease in the last 10 years I've used their tops.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
Mameluke
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'll give it a shot, but earlier I couldnt even get the whole top into the slide rails even with the bars slide all the way to the bottom
Unread 10-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Mameluke
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well, after sitting in the sun for a few hours today, i was able to get the main top on by the grace of god and few bleeding fingers and knuckles. it's still too tight to get the windows on, but i'm sure it will stretch out more. my apologies to bestop for all the swearing and shaking my fist i did at you last night!
Unread 10-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check your windshield angle as per the Bestop instructions. If your windshield is not set at the right angle, you'll play hell ever trying to get that top to fit. Leave all the windows slightly un-zipped , and keep the lower trim-tuck plastic flange for the tub molding (that's a technical term ) loose to give you a bit of extra flexibility on assembly.

Yeah, first time it's tight and a hassle, but it makes for a nice snug fit. (Wait, what? )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.