Super 35 vs 8.8 thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Super 35 vs 8.8 thread

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-16-2008, 09:12 AM   #31
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have around $1700 tied up in my 8.8, thats buying the axle, perches, U-bolts, shock mounts, an eaton electric locker, replacing all bearings, new calipers, pads and rotors and paying someone to install it all. There's another reason for the 8.8, disc brakes. Absolutely the best thing I ever did to my Jeep. It even seems to ride better, I guess that's because it's a heavier axle and doesn't bounce as much riding down the road.

That said, I wheel with guys who have locked Dana 35's with super kits on 35" tires. They haven't had a problem yet.

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/

Last edited by ionakana; 12-16-2008 at 10:56 AM..
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2008, 09:21 AM   #32
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyj View Post
I just picked up an LS1 for with 38k on it for $700. How? I mentioned to everyone I met that I was looking for one over a year ago.
I'm looking for an LS1 with low miles for about 701$, know anybody who might help me out

At any rate, one question might be how much off-roading do you do, if its very minimal to moderate, then just stick with an unmodified 35 for now. One of the funnest parts going off-road is the carnage, you end up with stories, forge friendships, (at least if you are somewhat prepared and bring some tools when you do), plus after the breakage you have an excuse to upgrade. Many people get away with using 35's all the time here in Ohio. However, if you go rock crawling or act like the Dukes of Hazard than its probably better to bite the bullet and go with the 8.8. Also, maybe try looking for an chrysler 8.25 out of a cherokee, you would still have to regear but they are considerable stronger than a 35, still a c-clip, but one out of a junkyard might be closer to a bolt in than an 8.8, but don't quote me on that b/c I havent done the leg work yet. But keep saving and keep thinking, you might just get away with spending that 500$ on something else. Good luck
twomanyjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #33
Digger 5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frumpy View Post
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16120_104.htm

and there was another one posted earlier in the thread
Just for S&G I called Qtec and they said this part number was for 30 spline shafts. I asked 3 times if 30 sp was shown in their description and they said yes.

Assuming this info is correct, this entire thread has changed.
The OP has 3.07 gears and stock 27 sp sidegears. The Super 35 30 sp axles can't be used. With 3.07 gears, an entire re-gear must be considered anyway so the cost shown earlier for re-gear in the 8.8 isn't valid.

If you are figuring to regear, you'll need another carrier anyway, open or other as your current carrier won't accept gears lower than 3.55. An open 8.8 diff, any gear, will accept your new gears as there isn't a carrier break.

For your S35 build, you'll need to get the Super 35 30 spline shafts before you can start anything. With these same funds you can source an 8.8 and have a much better starting point.
Unread 12-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #34
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It has been mentioned before, but needs to be clear!

A Super 35 kit is BOTH 30 spline axles and a new 30 spline locker to replace the stock carrier.
There are 2 super 35 kits:
One is for 3.07 and smaller ratios.
One is for 3.73 and higher gear ratios.
I think the ratios are correct, there is a carrier ratio break on the 35 where you need different carriers.
You can get a c-clip eliminator kit that is new axles and bearings, but you MUST have the 30 spline locker also. This is not a super 35 though, just new axles.

I have $1500 in my 8.8, btw...
But everything was new and top shelf, with an air locker.(relocated shocks, new brakes, new cover, new u-bolt flip, many new parts)
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #35
frumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyj View Post
It seems your already dead set on building a D35. There are ways to do the 8.8 cheap. Some options have already been given, but you keep saying no. Thats fine, your the one who has to drive it and its your money.
not dead set for anything, just looking at options.

I think I've made my decision, 8.8. However, I'm going to keep my eyes open and start looking for someone parting out a YJ. I'm not in a huge rush so I'm sure if I look one will pop up already set up and ready to roll. Probably the best option and best bang for the buck.
Unread 12-16-2008, 10:19 AM   #36
Digger 5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
It has been mentioned before, but needs to be clear!

A Super 35 kit is BOTH 30 spline axles and a new 30 spline locker to replace the stock carrier.
There are 2 super 35 kits:
One is for 3.07 and smaller ratios.
One is for 3.73 and higher gear ratios.
I think the ratios are correct, there is a carrier ratio break on the 35 where you need different carriers.
You can get a c-clip eliminator kit that is new axles and bearings, but you MUST have the 30 spline locker also. This is not a super 35 though, just new axles.

I'm well aware that a Super 'kit' includes the locker but the link he provided was for 30 spline axle shafts only.
Neither ARB or Detroit make 30 spline Dana 35 units for the high ratio carrier(3.31 down).
Unread 12-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #37
rybicki
1989 YJ Wrangler 

just so I get this striaght if you get a superior axle with 30 spline you need to change your carrier... i guess the question is what part is the carrier and how do you upgrade this for the 30 spline? the super 35 upgrades you to a 30 spline but can only be used if you get the evolution series that include the locker new bearings, races, shims and grade 8 wheel studs... so I couldnt just get there 30 spline axle shafts and get the eaton elocker for d35 with 30spline part #16100.1014 from qtech? also how can you tell if you have a C-clip axle I guess this would help me decide as well lol
rybicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #38
Goobersbro

yea

it sounds like your question should have been whats the best super 35 kit and which one should i buy. Definatily make sure to buy the one with 30" splines and get a disc brake set up for it i believe you can pull these off of an old waggy im not sure off the top of my head thats probably wrong but yea you can pull off the disc brakes off one of those old vehicles then you would have a stronger axle and disc brakes
Unread 12-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #39
rybicki
1989 YJ Wrangler 

well kinda but I'm really trying to get at how do you upgrade your carrier to fit the 30 spline or better yet whats the carrier the part that holds the ring and pinon or is it your differential? still confused on this one.
Unread 12-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #40
Digger 5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Carrier=differential.
Your 89 should NOT have c-clips but you'll still use the same carrier.
You'll love the new Dana 35 ELocker. It's a great unit.
Unread 12-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #41
rybicki
1989 YJ Wrangler 

so I can go to 30 spline by changeing to the d35 elocker? or do I still need to stick with a 27 spline?
Unread 12-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #42
Digger 5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, if you purchase the 30 sp ELocker you can then use the 30 spline alloy axle shafts.
Unread 12-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #43
rybicki
1989 YJ Wrangler 

awsome thats what I needed to know. and I inspected my whole jeep today... better condition than I thought so I'm not going to need a new frame :-) just a few minor repairs to it... no big deal... and my d35 looks pretty good.... I'll just truss it.... untill she goes cause I dont wheel that hard so I don't think itll be an issue
Unread 12-17-2008, 07:57 AM   #44
rescueyj

just curious does a 91 have clips cause i have a 87 wrangler but with 91 a4cyl axles in it
Unread 12-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #45
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue05tj View Post
just curious does a 91 have clips cause i have a 87 wrangler but with 91 a4cyl axles in it
Yes, a '91 YJ's D35C will have c-clips.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.