Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Sun Visor Fix -How To-

19K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Louie4 
#1 ·
So yeah i thought this might help some people out

I was tired of my broken drivers side visor, i look all over and just could not bring myself to pay $$$$ for one Because im a Cheap A$$ SO I Fixed it Like So,

All the visor is made up of is a piece of masonite and a tube with 2 bars in it

start with removing the thread from around the vinyl

you only need to remove a little bit once this is done burn the end of the thread to keep it from pulling out any farther

once you have the binding undone you can pull the 2 bars out of the assembly. Once you have them out spread apart the vinyl and remove the the tube and piece of masonite

From here its pretty simple remove the staples from the tube and keep ahold of them

Get a piece of masonite or in my case i used paneling as i had it laying around and it was the right thickness and trace a pattern

Cut it out and get ready to reattach the metal to it

Here i used a 1/16" drill but and made new holes for the staples

I also added some body panel glue just to be sure

Now line it all up and push the staples through and then clamp it tight till the glue dries

Once the glue has set remove the clamps and flip it over to hammer the staples flat

Now slide the whole assembly back in the vinyl sleeve

Now get your choice of thread and needle and re stitch the binding back up

Slide the metal caps back on and you are good to go

On a side note i did add some grease and i did pry out on the tube a little bit to make the bars move easier

Hope this helps some of you out :cheers2:

See less See more
#3 ·
Well done, Sir. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
as an alternative, you could also use sheet metal (steel or aluminum) or plastic (vinyl, HDPE, lexan, etc) as an alternative to the masonite that would be more resistant to possible future damage from water.

thanks to your thread, I might just disassemble my visors to remake them with a bit more of a "wing" towards the center to block the sun that always seems to send that laser-like beam over the rear-view mirror straight to my retina LOL

#5 ·
Nice post!

It's nearly impossible to find driver's side visors that don't have this issue.

#12 ·
Sun visors are the interior version of track bars. I haven't had any of either in a dozen years.
Agreed. I really never leave the house without my sungl***** anyway.

If you must, a baseball cap is an infinately adjustable sun visor. Wear it in the conventional manor, not like this dolt. :cheers2:
Well, that's a Cubs fan for ya! Go White Sox!

#13 ·
If you come across a TJ visor, you can use your hardware on it and put it in your YJ.......

TJ Sun visor mod

#19 ·
I actually got a pair of old visors that were broken on the inside. I ended up cutting the threads on one end and taking them apart and replacing the cardboard inside.

It wasn’t hard to do, just takes time. I have photos in my build thread but i can’t get guess and when I did it.

If I were to do it again….I wouldn’t. I’d just buy replacements ;)

Unlike Don, I can’t live without mine but I say the same thing about my windshield washer too. I’m just a pampered man I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.