Suggestions: Best Dana 60 axle swap for my 93 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Suggestions: Best Dana 60 axle swap for my 93 YJ

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 01-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
Dwayne93YJ
Damn YJ...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Suggestions: Best Dana 60 axle swap for my 93 YJ

I need some opinions/advice on what you guys think is the best Dana 60 swap for my 1993 4.7 Stroked YJ. I still run a stock manual transmission, 35" Tires, total of 7" of SUA lift (once I swap, I may go SOA), and 4.56 gearing. I dont do a ton of off roading, but when I do I want to be prepared. This is my DD. Please let me know what you guys suggest to look for and what I should expect when installing them. Researching on JF and the internet, it looks like my best bet is a kingpin front (not sure what year is best) and a 14 bolt rear. Thanks guys.

Dwayne

1993 YJ Titan 4.7L Stroker, 63MM Throttle body & Spacer, AX15, NP231, 1" Body, 0" SOA Alcan Spring Lift, 1" Skyjacker Boomerang Shackles, ARB Lockers, '79 Ford Dana 60 Axles w/ kingpin front, SYE & Tom Woods Drive Shafts, 37" Super Swampers, Airaid Air Dam, Tuffy everything, Warn Front and Rear Bumper w/ tire carrier, Metal Cloak Arched Tube Fenders w/ 6" Flares, Dual Optima Yellow Top Batteries, Poison Spyder Customs Trail Cage, Metal Cloak Rockers, 4 sets of KC Highlights, etc...(check my profile for more)
Dwayne93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
dan240
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you're staying with the stock transfer case you're going to need a driver side drop front out of a Ford. Most would say the best year would be 78-79 because there is quite a bit more room on the driver's side to weld new perches on....there are probably other reasons as well that I am unaware of...

I assume you're planning to run a much bigger tire than a 35. A 14 bolt is a boat anchor and even shaved that thing is going to drag on everything with that small a tire.

If you are sticking with 35's I'd build a HP44/9" or a HP44/8.8 combo.
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
Dwayne93YJ
Damn YJ...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't plan on going with a bigger tire, so that said any specific HP44/9" or 8.8 that I should look for? I want to have disc brakes and any other "upgrades" that I can. Thanks for the information.

Dwayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan240 View Post
If you're staying with the stock transfer case you're going to need a driver side drop front out of a Ford. Most would say the best year would be 78-79 because there is quite a bit more room on the driver's side to weld new perches on....there are probably other reasons as well that I am unaware of...

I assume you're planning to run a much bigger tire than a 35. A 14 bolt is a boat anchor and even shaved that thing is going to drag on everything with that small a tire.

If you are sticking with 35's I'd build a HP44/9" or a HP44/8.8 combo.
1993 YJ Titan 4.7L Stroker, 63MM Throttle body & Spacer, AX15, NP231, 1" Body, 0" SOA Alcan Spring Lift, 1" Skyjacker Boomerang Shackles, ARB Lockers, '79 Ford Dana 60 Axles w/ kingpin front, SYE & Tom Woods Drive Shafts, 37" Super Swampers, Airaid Air Dam, Tuffy everything, Warn Front and Rear Bumper w/ tire carrier, Metal Cloak Arched Tube Fenders w/ 6" Flares, Dual Optima Yellow Top Batteries, Poison Spyder Customs Trail Cage, Metal Cloak Rockers, 4 sets of KC Highlights, etc...(check my profile for more)
Unread 01-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Dwayne93YJ
Damn YJ...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

bump
Unread 01-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne93YJ View Post
I need some opinions/advice on what you guys think is the best Dana 60 swap for my 1993 4.7 Stroked YJ. I still run a stock manual transmission, 35" Tires, total of 7" of SUA lift (once I swap, I may go SOA), and 4.56 gearing. I dont do a ton of off roading, but when I do I want to be prepared. This is my DD. Please let me know what you guys suggest to look for and what I should expect when installing them. Researching on JF and the internet, it looks like my best bet is a kingpin front (not sure what year is best) and a 14 bolt rear. Thanks guys.

Dwayne
The best Dana 60 swap is a 78-79 F350 front. most desired year and model. almost any ford Dana 60 will work, you just need to outboard the springs with some plate. depending on your skill level, that might be simple or impossible.

if you need a 60 in the front you most likely want a one ton rear... Sterling 10.25, 14 bolt, or Dana 70. All are strong.
-14 bolts are a dime a dozen with an extra pinion bearing. Its hard to find anyone that has broken one, even on 44's. they are big
-Sterling 10.25 are strong and smaller than a 14 bolt. parts are easy to get but not as much as the 14 bolt. not as common but a good axle
-Dana 70 - I know little about them besides they are big and strong.

edit - side notes.

1.you can go Dana 60 rear and still have some clearance with your 35's. not as much as a Dana35. if you are only running 35's it will be possible but hard to break a set of 60's.

2. Search and read. google is your friend.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
WhyYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am currently building my Jeep on 1 ton axles. Well I should say 1 ton front and 3/4 ton rear. I am using a 79 Ford F350 Dana 60 (can also be found in some F250's) I went with this axle because I am staying SOA in the front for now and it is nearly a bolt in mod. If you are going to link it, it is still the more sought after because of the reasons listed above. I am going to be running 39.5 Iroks for now . If I ever go bigger I will put a 14 bolt in the rear or modify my rear for 35 spline axle shafts. I like the extra clearance you get with the 60.

As stated above there is a TON of info out there on this swap.
WhyYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.