Sucking air in the clutch hydraulics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Sucking air in the clutch hydraulics

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
OBXyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sucking air in the clutch hydraulics

I bought this 93 in May and was having a blast for about a month when the clutch went to the floor. I replaced the master cylinder because it was easy, filled, bled, drove about 100 miles and the clutch went to the floor. I found this site, read that I had the dreaded internal clutch (and Opi's advice to change to the external) and charged on. I realized that the clutch hose was a POS and changed it to Advanced Adapters stainless braided hose connecting to the slave line with a compression fitting, drove it 100 miles, and the clutch went to the floor. I had one weekend to fix and didn't think that I had the time to do the research on the switch to external so I ordered the 93 clutch kit, dropped the tranny, replaced the rear main seal, clutch, pressure plate and release bearing. Filled the MC, bled, drove off happy as sh*t with a hard and high clutch, drove about 100 miles and by then I was pumping the clutch in neutral to downshift. I had read that the internal clutch was a b*tch to bleed, so i tried to evacuate all of the air by filling from the bottom with a syringe and hose attached to the bleed nipple (it didn't seem like I was losing any fluid after replacing all of the parts of the system). Drove about 100 miles and yada. I brought the jeep to a brake place and paid $50 to bleed the clutch with their pressure system, drove 100 miles - same thing. I have now ordered a bellhousing and front bearing retainer from a yard and when that arrives and I am sure that it is compatible, I will order a new clutch fork, fork spring, release bearing, and pivot ball (if necessary) and master/slave assembly for a 94 and do the swap to the external slave. I'd like to postpone dropping the tranny until the weather cools. I am presently bleeding the clutch about every 100 miles - any ideas how I might extend this? I know that either the new master or the slave could be sucking air but I really think that it is the compression fitting. Any suggestions are appreciated.

clutch-hose.jpg

OBXyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a '90 and my clutch goes to the floor as well...how does yours feel right after its bled?
'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
ReDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
OBXyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It is hard and about 3 inches off the floor every time that I bleed it. It gradually softens up and by about 100 miles or so i have to bleed it again to prevent any grinding. I am not noticing any fluid loss and all of the clutch components are new. I am at least sucking air someplace. This internal slave is perhaps the works engineered system ever!!!
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yea i keep readin about how bad of a design that internal slave is. Only other vehicle i had that was that design was a ford ranger and that thing sucked too. Im definitely gonna convert to external slave.
'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
ReDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
OBXyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't really done much other than basic maintenance on a vehicle in about 20 yrs, one of the reasons I bought the yj was to have something I could get comfortable doing work on. I wish that I had of paid more attention to the people on this board who were recommending the swap to the external slave. But i learned a lot dropping the trans the first time and the next time will be easier. Unfortunately I'll be out the price of the the release bearing, master and hose b/c I am definitely going with the master/slave assembly - I want to be done with bleeding this clutch.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.