Sucking air in the clutch hydraulics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Sucking air in the clutch hydraulics

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 08-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
OBXyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sucking air in the clutch hydraulics

I bought this 93 in May and was having a blast for about a month when the clutch went to the floor. I replaced the master cylinder because it was easy, filled, bled, drove about 100 miles and the clutch went to the floor. I found this site, read that I had the dreaded internal clutch (and Opi's advice to change to the external) and charged on. I realized that the clutch hose was a POS and changed it to Advanced Adapters stainless braided hose connecting to the slave line with a compression fitting, drove it 100 miles, and the clutch went to the floor. I had one weekend to fix and didn't think that I had the time to do the research on the switch to external so I ordered the 93 clutch kit, dropped the tranny, replaced the rear main seal, clutch, pressure plate and release bearing. Filled the MC, bled, drove off happy as sh*t with a hard and high clutch, drove about 100 miles and by then I was pumping the clutch in neutral to downshift. I had read that the internal clutch was a b*tch to bleed, so i tried to evacuate all of the air by filling from the bottom with a syringe and hose attached to the bleed nipple (it didn't seem like I was losing any fluid after replacing all of the parts of the system). Drove about 100 miles and yada. I brought the jeep to a brake place and paid $50 to bleed the clutch with their pressure system, drove 100 miles - same thing. I have now ordered a bellhousing and front bearing retainer from a yard and when that arrives and I am sure that it is compatible, I will order a new clutch fork, fork spring, release bearing, and pivot ball (if necessary) and master/slave assembly for a 94 and do the swap to the external slave. I'd like to postpone dropping the tranny until the weather cools. I am presently bleeding the clutch about every 100 miles - any ideas how I might extend this? I know that either the new master or the slave could be sucking air but I really think that it is the compression fitting. Any suggestions are appreciated.

clutch-hose.jpg

OBXyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a '90 and my clutch goes to the floor as well...how does yours feel right after its bled?
'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
ReDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
OBXyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It is hard and about 3 inches off the floor every time that I bleed it. It gradually softens up and by about 100 miles or so i have to bleed it again to prevent any grinding. I am not noticing any fluid loss and all of the clutch components are new. I am at least sucking air someplace. This internal slave is perhaps the works engineered system ever!!!
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yea i keep readin about how bad of a design that internal slave is. Only other vehicle i had that was that design was a ford ranger and that thing sucked too. Im definitely gonna convert to external slave.
'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
ReDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
OBXyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't really done much other than basic maintenance on a vehicle in about 20 yrs, one of the reasons I bought the yj was to have something I could get comfortable doing work on. I wish that I had of paid more attention to the people on this board who were recommending the swap to the external slave. But i learned a lot dropping the trans the first time and the next time will be easier. Unfortunately I'll be out the price of the the release bearing, master and hose b/c I am definitely going with the master/slave assembly - I want to be done with bleeding this clutch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.