sucked mud into oil pan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > sucked mud into oil pan

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 01-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
91YJ-98TJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

sucked mud into oil pan

so i was out wheeling last weekend and im pretty sure i blew out my rear main seal. leaked a bunch of oil and even sucked in some mud into my oil pan. After i got it back home i replaced my rear main seal, bought a new oil pan (mine had some nasty looking dents anyway) and a new oil pan gasket. tore it all apart put it all back together with the new stuff and it still leaked at the back of the oil pan. took it apart again and put a new oil pan gasket on and just cranked it up and its still leaking in the same spot. Tomorrow im gonna try it yet again and this time buy another new rear main seal too. I was wondering if yall have any other suggestions or tips where you think i could have gone wrong, because i really dont want to take it to a mechanic that just feels like giving up haha

91YJ-98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
jdubsjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

when you put on the rear main seal, did you make sure the "lip" was facing the FRONT of the engine? Get a friend to help line up the oil pan with the gasket when bolting it up, it makes it much easier. Do not over tighten the oil pan bolts, this will ruin the gasket as well, 7-11 ft lbs
jdubsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
91YJ-98TJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ive kept all the oil pan bolts pretty loose, and im pretty sure i put the lip side forward. gonna find out for sure tomorrow
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Is it leakin from the seal area or is it leaking from the pan gasket surface?when the pan is off you should lay the pan on a flat surface .Then with a ball peen hammer, lightly peen or hammer each bolt hole "gasket face side" to remove the convex shape it has from the last install and torquing. peen them flat or just lightly concaved.If they are deformed they will bottom out before completely compressing the pan gasket .just a useless knowledge tip.
40dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

make sure the rear main seal is off set from the end cap if it is a 2 piece seal

im sorry for the terrible drawing

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The best I have found for a flat piece to lay a item on is a piece of glass for flatness.

It does not take much to make you oil pan or valve cover not flat. One bolt over tightened, or under tightened will do it.

By the way, I sort of doubt that you sucked in mud, so if you found mud looking sludge in your pan you may also find it in your valve cover. May be time for a engine cleaning!
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

x2 on mud suckin . but it dose suck to have mud in anything mechanical!
Unread 01-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
SnowYJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

don't some guys run some rtv as a gasket as well?
Unread 01-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating " sounds kinda kinky"
Unread 01-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowYJ View Post
don't some guys run some rtv as a gasket as well?
RTV is very good, although if you are thinking about the future and the next time that you take it apart. You will want to think about how much you are using. The rear end is easy to clean RTV. The oil pan not so much.

Valve cover, not so much too.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Never had any issues with removing and or cleaning any surface that had rtv or other sealer on.Just have to work at it . Right tools are the key .It is a little tedious but America wasn't built in a day! You still haven't told us if its the rear main leaking or the pan gasket. Rear 2pcs seals are not as easy as one may think for replacement. One piece seals are a breeze . So whats the leak info rear main or pan gasket area.if you have old patches of pan gasket left on the block with out rtv it probably wont seal up again. Apply the sealer to pan and block area then assembly . follow manufacturer directs on flash/ set time for the sealer before assembly .good luck hope for a positive post from you tomorrow.
Unread 01-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
91YJ-98TJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

hey thanks for the help but im pretty sure its the rear main, and there was defenitly mud in the old oil pan. However i still cant get everything to seal up and ive tried three times now. Im gonna take it to a mechanic sometime this week

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.