Suck down winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Suck down winch

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
frumpy

Suck down winch

Just wondering if anyone has a front suck down winch. I'm debating on putting one in but trying to figure out how to do (atv winch right above the axle, normal front winch connected to the front axle or something else)

Unread 10-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
themonkeyman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

NOt really sure WHY you'd want a lowering winch wiht stock suspension..... they're really not necessary unless you've got really tall suspension and like going up really steep things.
themonkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have never seen this used on a leaf sprung rig, If you had tall coils or coilovers it could be very important depending on your terrain but i think the money you spend on the atv winch could be spent on something that you will actually use/need.
1970 Ford Bronco302, dana 30, 9", 3 on the tree, show stopper.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
frumpy

reason I ask is I have a 3000lbs ATV winch kickin around. I haven't really seen it on leaf sprung rigs either, thats why I ask.

As for why, it would still allow several inches of compression to help on really steep climbs.
Unread 10-27-2008, 06:28 AM   #5
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

well if ya had one layin around thats different... but on your stock leafs its still not gonna do much. from your pics your springs are about as flat as they get... put it on craigslist and get a lift or somethin
Unread 10-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
frumpy

Why would I get a lift when I have built my rig to have a low COG and run 33s

max flex, on the bump stop, no rub (still has more flex in the back, and more droop but the shocks are limiting it right now)
Unread 10-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #7
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

true...... its none of my business......
Unread 10-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
RikRotorhead
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Can you take a second to educate me on the reasoning for a 'suck down winch'?
I would like to understand the logic/reasoning behind this idea. Never heard of it before.
Thanks in advance.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #9
frumpy

lower your centre of gravity to aid in steep climbs or off camber
Unread 10-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #10
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

OK guys.......I don't know how built your jeep is but I'm guessing you don't have the HP or the lift or tire size to worrie about fliping it back end over end. I see no need for this. I know of some people that do it so they can get their rigs in their garages. They winch them down to drive in and unwinch once they are in. Please share pictures of your rig so I can see why you might need to be worried about your center of grav.

(Edit) If that pic above is your jeep the red one. DON'T get a winch for your COG. Waist of time and money.
Unread 10-27-2008, 11:38 AM   #11
frumpy

Yes, its also for getting it into the garage, and like I said I already have a winch kicking around so no money lost.

and yes thats my rig above but I have only had this once since late summer. Going to be posted in the new year and wanting to buy a house when that happens so I don't have a ton of money parts. But, that being said I would like to be locked front and rear, 8.8 in the back and 35s in the short future along with possibly an engine swap or stroker.

I realize its not a rig on rockwells and 49s, but figured for some of the wheeling I do it would be nice to have (not required, but can't see it hurting)
Unread 10-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #12
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I feel what you are throwing down.

The cool thing about jeeps is you can do whatever you want to them. If you don't like it. Undo it. Go for it if that's what you want. I'm just saying I don't think it is needed. I think you could drive your entire state over and not find one hill where having that winch would keep you from rolling or even help you for wheeling. It limits you. And even more on Leafs. You are just taking your travel out of the ball game. Travel is what helps you get more tire on the ground. By taking that way you will find that you will not be able to wheel as good with that setup. But if you want it. Go for it. It's your jeep. You posted up asking. I'm just telling you the way it is.

Todd
Unread 10-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #13
frumpy

I don't see how it will limit it though, care to explain (maybe I'm missing something here). You're probably right about not needing it though, I just happened to have an ATV winch and though why not, can't hurt and might help.

Only problem I see is being on leaf springs. With the axle where it is, if I just used the front winch it would pull the axle forwards possibly putting stress on the drivelines, and bend the springs a way they weren't ment to.
Unread 10-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frumpy View Post
Why would I get a lift when I have built my rig to have a low COG and run 33s

max flex, on the bump stop, no rub (still has more flex in the back, and more droop but the shocks are limiting it right now)
Thats a flex shot???
Just Kidding Happy Wheelin'

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #15
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frumpy View Post
I don't see how it will limit it though, care to explain (maybe I'm missing something here). You're probably right about not needing it though, I just happened to have an ATV winch and though why not, can't hurt and might help.

Only problem I see is being on leaf springs. With the axle where it is, if I just used the front winch it would pull the axle forwards possibly putting stress on the drivelines, and bend the springs a way they weren't ment to.
Can we agree that flex is the amount of travel your axle has?

If so then can we agree that when you take an axle and put a winch around it limiting the axle of it's drop that there is less flex?

And if this is the case can we see where there will be more times that you will not have your wheels on the ground than if you were not limiting the amount of travel by sucking your suspension up?

Keep in mind the point isn't to get a spot at your local dillards. It's when you are on the trail right?

And are trails even like the roads you drive home on?

So The point of 4wd is to keep as much tire on the ground to give you the most traction at all times right?

Well. In a leaf sprung jeep your amount of flex is limited to begin with. Its proven don't argue it. So when you suck your front end up with your winch and go over even the smallest bump your other wheel will be off the ground. Do you have a locked front? Is this adding up for ya?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.