Submerged my 95 Wrangler in water --- HELP --- - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Submerged my 95 Wrangler in water --- HELP ---

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Yellow79CJ5
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Submerged my 95 Wrangler in water --- HELP ---

I submerged my 95 wrangler in water just last night 8/7/10. Today I drained the oil from the 350 pulled the plugs turned the crank manually successfully cleaning the motor of all water. Drained the 350 turbo transmission, 205 Transfer case, and both the front and rear 1/2 ton chevy dif's. Opened the distributor cap and let air dry for most of the day approx. 8-10 hours. Put everything back together, and filled with fluids. Now the battery seems to be completely dead.

My question is could the battery be bad now? What about the starter? It wanted to kick over on the first try and cranked about 2-3 turns, but then just started to click. Put a battery pack on it, and it just clicks once.

Stumped.......

Yellow79CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Yellow79CJ5
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I will post pictures as soon as my camera dry's out....
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow79CJ5 View Post
I submerged my 95 wrangler in water just last night 8/7/10. Today I drained the oil from the 350 pulled the plugs turned the crank manually successfully cleaning the motor of all water. Drained the 350 turbo transmission, 205 Transfer case, and both the front and rear 1/2 ton chevy dif's. Opened the distributor cap and let air dry for most of the day approx. 8-10 hours. Put everything back together, and filled with fluids. Now the battery seems to be completely dead.

My question is could the battery be bad now? What about the starter? It wanted to kick over on the first try and cranked about 2-3 turns, but then just started to click. Put a battery pack on it, and it just clicks once.

Stumped.......
If you tried to crank it with plugs back in place it's likely hydrolocked again from the water in the intake tract

The last time I drowned a truck I drained everything pulled the plugs and then filled the crankcase and intake (carberated) with diesel till it overflowed I then cranked it for awhile shoooting diesel 20' to either side out the plug holes and in the process displaced ALL the water left in the system.

I drained it for awhile did an oil change wit cheap oil and let it idle for 5 minutes, changed the oil again ad drove it....afterward the engine never ran better......

The axles and trans (stick) on the other hand were never the same again

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
Yellow79CJ5
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did not fill with diesel, but did manually crank the motor with the plugs out of it. Spit water out both sides of the motor. Continued to manually crank left to right until water stopped flowing. Sprayed with cleaner in the carb, and plug holes to lubricate pistons. Inserted plugs connected wires, ect.... Jeep wanted to start but now only clicks. Sounds like the plates in the battery have welded closed or a short in the starter maybe, or both.....

Last edited by Yellow79CJ5; 08-08-2010 at 10:01 PM..
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you can turn the motor by hand it's probably not hydrolocked (as in completly blown up from your motor trying to compress water lol). I've gone through three starters on my 4.0 and my buddy has gone through two on his chevy 350... Water eats starters BAD especially if you started he vehicle while the starter was submerged.

Teltale sign of water damage is a simple click each time you try to start. Every now and then it may turn over but a simple "click" and silence is grim news for the starter indeed (make sure the battery ground is on tight as a loose ground/hot results in the same.

Again I wouldn't bet it's hydrolocked if you turned it off before damage could occur. Especially since you can turn the motor by hand. If you can turn it, your starter can turn it.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
Yellow79CJ5
1995 YJ Wrangler 

options and opinions......
Unread 08-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Option 1a: use a voltmeter if you have one to check the battery.

Option 1: grab a battery out of another vehicle and try to start it.

Option 2: buy a battery and hope that's the problem.

Option 4: buy a reman starter and see if that's the problem if it's not the battery.

If it is determined not to be the battery or starter then something more sinister is at hand.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
options and opinions......
If you don't like our help given based on your very very incomplete OP then you can have fun figuring this out yourself.

Welded the plates in the battery??????? Really? I take it you're unaware the battery is full of WATER anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
Jeepsr4me

next time you get water in it. Just pull the plugs and turn the engine over with the starter. It will blow water 20 ft up so stay back from the engine. It will pull all the water out the intake that way. No need to put diesel in it. Diesel in the oil passages will loosen sludge and stop up the pick up tube...

If you got to pour something in the intake to get water out use denatured alcohol.

If the battery was underwater it can go bad. A easy test would be to jump the solenoid. Or turn your head lights on and see how long they last or how bright....
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Why not just pull the battery and starter out and get them tested at the parts store?

When I sunk my 4.0L I pulled it ashore, pulled the plugs (broke 2) and turned the motor over pumping all the water out. I tossed the muddy air filter in the back and got out of the woods on 4 cylinders. Once I got out I had a buddy tow me home where I did a complete tune up and oil change with Mystery Marvel in the gas tank and crankcase. I changed the oil 2 days later and put more MM in there. After that I was good to go.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

Quote:
I will post pictures as soon as my camera dry's out....
When I sunk mine, my Nikon D80 didn't survive the water.... Neither did my other point and shoot camera, CD player, CB, work cell phone, etc.... :P

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.