SUA VS. SOA not the normal qustion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SUA VS. SOA not the normal qustion

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
91YJRockCrawler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

SUA VS. SOA not the normal qustion

the other day i was at work and it was a slow day and i was just thinking and i started thinking about my jeep and stuff and my last trip to the desert well long story short there was a FJ buggy and the rear of it was spring under, it was on 40's or 42's my question is do you guys think its worth it to stay spring under to keep it low? im going for around a 3-4" lift on 35's and keep going back and forth on SOA

Quote:
its mind over matter.. I donít mind and the sheet metal donít matter
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnBlake View Post
It's JF's very own little slice of Pirate :rofl:
91YJRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
86YJSEANVA
1986 YJ Wrangler 

well if im right spring over will give about 5 got 5-1/2 inch's of lift and obviously thats more than the 3-4 you where going for spring under. but also spring over will usualy flex better than under. also to run 35's offroad and get any considerable flex ur gunna have to flat fender because 33's have problems with a 4 inch lift (speaking from pics ive seen not experience so take this with a grain of salt untill someone says im right or wrong) but these or mostly just things ive heard from peopel on the forum and around town. but also jsut osmething to think about
Unread 05-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds to me like you are wanting to build a LCoG jeep. A set of good tube fenders and 3-4" of lift and you can offroad 35's to the edge.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
brewer
2000 WJ 

well all I can say is I wish I had that dilema. In BC, Canada they passed a law that basically out-laws the SOA because it alters the vehicle from original design integrity. Meaning, a person here can lift with spring under until the cows come home, and lift as high as they want using that method -> but if they install SOA on the rig, and it wasn't originally designed to handle that -> its flagged and impounded. The beauty is, you're fined, and the rig is kept impounded until the SOA modification has been removed. Which means, you've basically lost your rig. Massive PITA! What's funny is, many people here still do it, BUT if they were to ever get pulled over by a cop that knew the rule - its a chance they would hate having taken.

So again.. wish I had your dilema. If it was me and I was in your shoes... I'd do the SOA route. Instead, for me to get the 35's I'm thinking 6 inch spring lift....
Unread 05-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
Sleuthhound
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer View Post
well all I can say is I wish I had that dilema. In BC, Canada they passed a law that basically out-laws the SOA because it alters the vehicle from original design integrity. Meaning, a person here can lift with spring under until the cows come home, and lift as high as they want using that method -> but if they install SOA on the rig, and it wasn't originally designed to handle that -> its flagged and impounded. The beauty is, you're fined, and the rig is kept impounded until the SOA modification has been removed. Which means, you've basically lost your rig. Massive PITA! What's funny is, many people here still do it, BUT if they were to ever get pulled over by a cop that knew the rule - its a chance they would hate having taken.

So again.. wish I had your dilema. If it was me and I was in your shoes... I'd do the SOA route. Instead, for me to get the 35's I'm thinking 6 inch spring lift....
they did WHAT? Wow, my dad's gonna sh*t if he gets pulled over. Have you got anything I can read about this? (Burnaby, BC here)
Sleuthhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
dadstoys2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That is just nuts about impound for a soa. I would have to move because I dont have it but I sure would love to in the coming year or two.
ax15 swap
dadstoys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:29 AM   #7
91YJRockCrawler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86YJSEANVA View Post
well if im right spring over will give about 5 got 5-1/2 inch's of lift and obviously thats more than the 3-4 you where going for spring under. but also spring over will usualy flex better than under. also to run 35's offroad and get any considerable flex ur gunna have to flat fender because 33's have problems with a 4 inch lift (speaking from pics ive seen not experience so take this with a grain of salt untill someone says im right or wrong) but these or mostly just things ive heard from peopel on the forum and around town. but also jsut osmething to think about
the heep already has gen-right tube fenders up front and its hacked to hell in the rear plus im running 33 and a 2.5" lift right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
It sounds to me like you are wanting to build a LCoG jeep. A set of good tube fenders and 3-4" of lift and you can offroad 35's to the edge.
ya i want a semi LCG if i was going for a real LCG i would just run my 2.5" lift on 35 but anyways my plan for SOA would be to run full tractions 0" lift springs and french the hangers from what i can tell you can get away with about an inch without having to cut into the frame, but i would have to double check that

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
91YJRockCrawler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ok guys lets get some good ol' tech talk going

what do you guys think is useful flex and what isnt? im not taking revolvers here

how much travel you guys are running? how much up and down?

are you SOA or SUA?, i've been doing some searching on this topic yesterday and im just trying to get some tech also if your trying to build a LCG jeep do you ever plan on going SOA, if you plan on it why?

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91YJRockCrawler View Post
are you SOA or SUA?, i've been doing some searching on this topic yesterday and im just trying to get some tech also if your trying to build a LCG jeep do you ever plan on going SOA, if you plan on it why?
SOA and LCoG are opposites. The idea of LCoG is to stay around 3" of total lift or under. Stuffing 40's on a no lift wrangler has been done, and anywhere in between. As soon as you go SOA thats 5.5" of lift on stock springs.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
91YJRockCrawler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
SOA and LCoG are opposites. The idea of LCoG is to stay around 3" of total lift or under. As soon as you go SOA thats 5.5" of lift on stock springs.
IMO if your SOA you can run stock lift springs and french the hanger 2"-3" and then your back down to a 3" lift want i really want to know is if its worth staying SUA

Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.