Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Stuttering in 3rd gear

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Axl Jack 
#1 ·
On occasion, sometimes when its cold, or when its heated up, the jeep stutters in 3rd gear kind of feels like a loss of fuel. The cap and all ignition system has been newly replaced but still occurs. any ideas or suggestions?

#2 ·
Its most likely the actual gear. You're just going to have to deal with it unless you feel like replacing or rebuilding your tranny.

Of course, your rear yolk might be slightly warped. Its a $60 dollar part and easy to replace. Its worth a shot if you can't pinpoint the problem.

But if it only does it in 3rd gear, I'm voting that its mostly the gear itself.

#3 ·
It could also be because of the a certain speed you hit in 3rd. This happens in mine. I've found it to be the cat. Its all broken inside and it gets a little clogged up sometimes causing the jeep to stutter. I need to get it fixed this weekend.

#4 ·
I dont mean to sound like an idiot, but if it were the gear, wouldnt it happen all the time, a solid problem like a broken gear or anything involving that, would usually be a consistent problem wouldnt it? mine is only intermittently. but the clutch is on its way out, so maybe the load that 3rd gear puts on the motor causes it to slip on occasion?

#5 ·
^ Could be. Same thing happened to mine a few years ago. I bought the vehicle, and about 10 months later I had to put in a new clutch. It only shuddered a little in 1st gear.

Side note: The reason I had to change the clutch was because the previous owner changed the clutch........ but ONLY the clutch and not the pressure plate and throw out bearing.

In high school I worked at a convenient store and a guy came into the store to talk about "his old Jeep." He asked if I had any problems with it since I bought it, and I said yeah I changed the clutch. He looked at me dumbfounded and said, "I changed the clutch in that thing about a year before I sold it. What'd you do?"

I said, "Not me, you, buddy." etc etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.