Stupid Newbie SYE question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stupid Newbie SYE question

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 02-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
jeepnrover
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Stupid Newbie SYE question

I know what it is, I know what it does, but I've never actually seen one on a YJ. Below are some pics from below and slightly behind the tail of the transfer case, is the universal joint farthest to the left the the pics the SYE?

Thanks for your patience, I've read enough to be dangerous, but I've yet to see some of the stuff mentioned on the forum in person so I thought I'd ask.
-jeepnrover

jeepnrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

No, what you see there is the stock slip yoke. An sye (sye= slip yoke eliminator) would replace the slip yoke. The slip yoke being the shaft that goes into the transfer case.

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This is what a transfer case with an sye looks like:

The stock slip yoke is good until you start lifting your rig, which increases the angle, therefore the distance between your rear end and the transfer case. The increased angle will cause vibrations and if lifted too much you run a risk of the stock driveline pulling out of the transfer case all together which is a bad thing. A four inch suspension lift probably should have an sye installed but you can make it with out it ( as I currently am) if your wanting to go more than 4" of suspension lift I would say you definitely want an sye installed.
Btw - from your pics it looks like you have a leak at the output shaft of you transfer case, there is a write up on fixing this in the FAQ section under "transfer case"

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
Unread 02-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
jonzjeepyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a shot of mine with a double cardigan ( double U-Joint) rear drive
shaft. Both help to eliminate vibes due to steep angles after lifting.

Unread 02-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
910Sahara

jeep108, I got a question I am at about a 4in lift, how did you go about not needing a SYE kit? Did you drop the TC if so how much, I am runnin into the proble where my slip yoke is hanging out the tc a little bit and its causing it to leak, and I Just replaced the seal, it is leaking a little still..!
910Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

910Sahara

I have a 1/2 T-case drop that came with my 3.5 inch lift and then I added a 1/2 inch shackle lift and my drive line has no vibes in 2WD, I am sure it does in 4WD because it did stock at around 35-40mph.
baritone_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
kelti819
1992 YJ Wrangler 

910sahara i sent you a pm.....can give you a hand if you need just get back to me and you can come check out my jeep and i can show you my setup and answer questions if you have any
kelti819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 910Sahara View Post
jeep108, I got a question I am at about a 4in lift, how did you go about not needing a SYE kit? Did you drop the TC if so how much, I am runnin into the proble where my slip yoke is hanging out the tc a little bit and its causing it to leak, and I Just replaced the seal, it is leaking a little still..!
I did a 1" motor mount lift which improved my driveline angle, I had a few vibes at first but it went away after I drove it around a little. Did you replace the output shaft bushing when you did the seal? If not it would be a good idea to, some times the bushing gets worn and allows to much play which can cause the seal to deform and leak.

Unread 02-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
910Sahara

Thanks for the help/ input guys!
910Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.