STUPID JEEP + STUPID OWNER = Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > STUPID JEEP + STUPID OWNER = Problems

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-28-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
toomanyjeeps
1994 YJ Wrangler 

STUPID JEEP + STUPID OWNER = Problems

So, I got the TPS replaced the other weekend. I went to start up ye’ ole’ Wrangler and the POS is back to running like garbage again. WTH!!!! Is going on? I am thinking ECM. Either that, or some sort of short between the battery and the ECM (which would be easier to understand). It is as if the car is just STUBBORN and won’t retain anything that it has learned. As soon as the key goes off, it goes back to being a heap again.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Obviously, it is going back to the dealership that serviced it first thing tomorrow, and I am not paying another penny.

toomanyjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
jeepinMatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

there is also another sensor called the IAC= idle air control and explain what running like garbage is????? low idle??? rough, too many to list. Not to mention the jeep is um around 13 years old its not a brand new lexus off the lot, you might have to work on her a little
jeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Running like garbage doesn't help us out. What exaclty is it doing?

Also, I thought we told you not to take it to the dealership But, if I were you, I would taking it back also, since they didn't really fix it.

Now, if you want to take our oponion and compare it to the dealer, that is fine.

Support Search and Rescue
Get Lost
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2007, 11:26 PM   #4
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyjeeps
So, I got the TPS replaced the other weekend. I went to start up ye’ ole’ Wrangler and the POS is back to running like garbage again. WTH!!!! Is going on? I am thinking ECM. Either that, or some sort of short between the battery and the ECM (which would be easier to understand). It is as if the car is just STUBBORN and won’t retain anything that it has learned. As soon as the key goes off, it goes back to being a heap again.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Obviously, it is going back to the dealership that serviced it first thing tomorrow, and I am not paying another penny.
ahhh the ecm "learning" stuff argument again....

i'll stay on this one....

you do need to be a LOT more specific though, if you expect help......

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2007, 11:30 PM   #5
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
ahhh the ecm "learning" stuff argument again....

i'll stay on this one....
Trust me, I'm going to go there again.

Support Search and Rescue
Get Lost
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2007, 11:57 PM   #6
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yer only choice after last weeks miserable performance on this forum is to take it to the dealer...period...let it be their problem...you were singin' their praises then, maybe they can recalibrate the pcm again. Eh?
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2007, 01:47 AM   #7
dansegroves
1993 YJ Wrangler 

check your grounds.
dansegroves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2007, 01:49 AM   #8
toomanyjeeps
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I get it, I got it then too.

I took it to them and when I left, 99% of the engine problems were gone. Gas mileage was back, it stopped sputtering when from 1000-2000 RPMs, and it didn’t even come close to stalling when it was at idle. It has TONS of power, no weird engine noises. The reason that it went to the dealership, was because I tried stuff myself and it didn’t work and then I took it to a few other people. I UNDERSTAND where I made the mistake and the fact that I could have done it on my own. The problems, which are rather listed above, were rough idle, backfiring, hesitation between 1000 and 2000 RPMs when speeding up (or jumping), poor gas mileage, then JUMPING when shifting out of first. I took it to them, they did what they do – and when I left, I couldn’t tell the difference between that and my TJ. It handled beautifully. It sat for about 4-5 days (to top it off I broke a bone in my hand), then when I went to start it, all the problems were back again.

It is definitely going back tomorrow just because it is still supposed to be running like it was when I left, and it isn’t’. I get what everyone is saying though. All right? I can’t exactly apologize for taking it there. I was getting fed up with the Jeep in the first place. But now I know.

As for the whole “singing their praises comment”, what else could I do? I was HAPPY, sorry that is wrong. After buying this thing and dumping countless hours into it, etc……….it was finally to the point where the engine problems were completely gone for a period of time. Moreover, I did take everyone’s opinion. I didn’t pay attention to myself CALIBRATING (adjusting – whatever), like I should have done. When the individual the other day was talking about turning the TPS until it reads properly so that the engine idles normally. So far, it has a new TPS, CPS, IAC, and Knock. It just doesn’t (for lack of a better word); seem to know how to use it all. In addition, if it learns, it forgets. It ran beautifully, and now it is back to normal (normal being bad).

Last edited by toomanyjeeps; 08-29-2007 at 02:01 AM..
Unread 08-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #9
Jesse-James
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like someone needs to sell their Jeep and buy a Honda.
Unread 08-29-2007, 11:16 AM   #10
toomanyjeeps
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Jeeps, Jeeeepssss, as in more then one. I wonder if I can get a good deal this time of year on a truck.
Unread 08-29-2007, 12:06 PM   #11
Howard94yj

To many jeeps.....
Mine does the exact same thing you are talking about ... If you ever figure it out let me know!!! I have tryed everything. But I will not take it to a dealer!!!!
Howard94yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #12
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
In addition, if it learns, it forgets.

I was almost gonna forgive you till you threw that in.
Unread 08-29-2007, 01:13 PM   #13
newYJfan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i'm not sure what i just read, though it seemed informative

*me/ hugs my carb'd & nuttered YJ

good luck with your problems though, they (needless to say) seem like a huge PITA
-- "newYJfan"... whoops, didn't think about a good username
newYJfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2007, 01:30 PM   #14
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Jeeps, Jeeeepssss, as in more then one. I wonder if I can get a good deal this time of year on a truck.

Yea, don't expect any more advice with that atitude.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2007, 02:13 PM   #15
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

when mine started spitting and sputtering at low RPMS, it ended up being the dist, and 1 wire was bad....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.