STUMPED Bleeding clutch '91 2.5L w/AX5: Am I missing a step? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > STUMPED Bleeding clutch '91 2.5L w/AX5: Am I missing a step?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 08-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm having the same issue, but this thread is clearing things up nicely! Thanks all!

caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #17
JWBooth
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Update- Thanks for all the help JF!!!!

FINALLY got it. I went to AZ and had actually bought a new master thinking that's got to be the problem, if not, it's the slave and there's a whole 'nother problem to address. When I got home and decided to try bleeding it just *three* more times before I switched it out. 1st try, same weak fluid stream. 2nd try was more solid stream. 3rd time I broke the bleeder open and WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!!!!!!! It shot a stream out the back of the Jeep!!!! Clutch is better than it's ever been. I had been getting a little "chunk" every now and then shifting from 2nd to 3rd and it's gone, shift's smooth as butta baby.

Moral: If your master goes dry on a 20yr old Jeep, and you've pumped the clutch 350 times with the bleeder open (aka wrong way), you must Bleed the clutch til you think it shouldn't be bleed anymore, then Bleed it until you're convinced it's totally shot, then bleed it some more until you're so p!ssed you can't see straight, then bleed it some more, then pace around dumbfounded a while, drink a beer and cuss a bunch, then bleed it 3 more times and you're done!
**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**
JWBooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #18
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBooth View Post
Moral: If your master goes dry on a 20yr old Jeep, and you've pumped the clutch 350 times with the bleeder open (aka wrong way), you must Bleed the clutch til you think it shouldn't be bleed anymore, then Bleed it until you're convinced it's totally shot, then bleed it some more until you're so p!ssed you can't see straight, then bleed it some more, then pace around dumbfounded a while, drink a beer and cuss a bunch, then bleed it 3 more times and you're done!
You're getting the idea!

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #19
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/psl-2004/overview/

Best dog darn investment for bleeding I ever made. Clutches and brakes with yer eyes closed.

Fluid transfers and such are a breeze also.

`Course you don`t get to drink as many beers or cuss like a red bellied sap sucker but the increase in life expectancy due to reduced blood pressure makes it worthwhile. YMMV though.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #20
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
`Course you don`t get to drink as many beers or cuss like a red bellied sap sucker but the increase in life expectancy due to reduced blood pressure makes it worthwhile. YMMV though.
New sig line in 3. 2. 1.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.