Stuck steering wheel/gear selector - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stuck steering wheel/gear selector

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 07-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Stuck steering wheel/gear selector

Got a friend with a YJ and she's having a problem with her steering column. This is what she told me : " Its all Locked up. i can't even take it out of park and then the ignition switch is messed up too"

Any idea's?
I can't think of anything really.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a woman trying to explain a problem

Maybe the trans has stress on it and doesnt want to shift out of park?

My girlfriend's tahoe did this. She parked on a slight incline in her Moms driveway and it locked up good. Hooked up to the truck in front of her and barely pulled to take the stress out and it shifted out just fine. Never did it again.

Is the ignition Switch messed up or the key cylinder?

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Sounds like a woman trying to explain a problem

Maybe the trans has stress on it and doesnt want to shift out of park?

My girlfriend's tahoe did this. She parked on a slight incline in her Moms driveway and it locked up good. Hooked up to the truck in front of her and barely pulled to take the stress out and it shifted out just fine. Never did it again.

Is the ignition Switch messed up or the key cylinder?
Not a clue. I asked her what it was doing and what happened before this happened. She doesn't know. But she said she got it to work. Asked her what she did but she hasn't said anything yet. I figured she just locked the steering wheel, but I don't remember if YJs do that or not. Never tried that in mine.

Colbert 2016!
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

She likely locked up the steering wheel. Below the compression plate is a lock plate. It has slots around it that the column lock pin goes into to keep the wheel from turning without the key being in the run position. It's an anti-theft measure. If the pin binds on the plate, the key will bind as well. Very common situation. It can happen when someone gets their wheels bound up on a curb, or even when someone gets out of their car and their body rubs along the steering wheel, turning the wheel after the key is out. Happens to my wife all the time. The solution is to grab the wheel and try to rotate it one direction or the other. One direction will be a dead stop, the other will be stiff, but the wheel will move a few degrees. With the wheel pulled to the movable direction, and pressure is held in that direction, the bind will be removed and the key will be able to be turned.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
She likely locked up the steering wheel. Below the compression plate is a lock plate. It has slots around it that the column lock pin goes into to keep the wheel from turning without the key being in the run position. It's an anti-theft measure. If the pin binds on the plate, the key will bind as well. Very common situation. It can happen when someone gets their wheels bound up on a curb, or even when someone gets out of their car and their body rubs along the steering wheel, turning the wheel after the key is out. Happens to my wife all the time. The solution is to grab the wheel and try to rotate it one direction or the other. One direction will be a dead stop, the other will be stiff, but the wheel will move a few degrees. With the wheel pulled to the movable direction, and pressure is held in that direction, the bind will be removed and the key will be able to be turned.
Thats what I told her to do. She said it didn't work when she tried it. She was probably just doing it wrong.

Colbert 2016!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.