Stuck roll bar and windshield screws, help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stuck roll bar and windshield screws, help!

Memorial Day Sale at KrawlOff-Road.comRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaUCF Memorial Day Savings... Save 15% today!

Unread Yesterday, 07:33 PM   #1
blurryice

Stuck roll bar and windshield screws, help!

Taking a step back from talking about VIN numbers, I was trying to remove the Torx screws for both my roll bar and hinges to doors/windshield. I had some success with a few of the windshield screws but then I had a couple that were stuck. I pb blasted them, I torched them, and then I stripped them... Along with stripping the front, I had no budge in the roll bar screws.

Could anyone offer advice in removing these screws a little easier? I've read to grind a line in the screws and use a flat screwdriver. That would work with the roll bar screws possibly but not with the hinge screws since they sit flush with the hinge. What options do I have here?

blurryice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #2
BDKR
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Penetrating oil BEFORE beginning to break loose, in some cases, 20 years of rain, dissimilar metals, and the elements. If you keep ahead without penetrating oil (WD-40 does not count) and the tor screw goes, click and then the whole assembly turns but never gets any 'looser' then you will get to learn how to remove your dash to get behind the tor screw and hold the nut. I used PB Blaster for a week after snapping one of the screws and as it was still a chore, all but the first Torx came out without having to open up the cabin for rear access. Good Luck
BDKR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 12:06 AM   #3
Anticanman
The Thunder Chunky

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Impact driver. The kind you hit with a hammer, not the cordless thing bundled with the 24v drill you got for Christmas three years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
Listen to what the canman says. You don't have to take it all word for word. But at least listen to the man. He knows his ****. Its a no BS straight to the point realistic approach to things. You may not like it. But someday you might have an Anticanman moment. Like you just had. I know I have. Hell I had 2 last week.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 01:25 AM   #4
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yep. Mandatory equipment. I got a used snap on one on eBay for 35 bucks with bits.
Unread Today, 02:30 AM   #5
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

are you saying the torx head is now stripped out and for advice? if so, I would suggest grinding off the heads for all the bolts that are stripped or difficult... then prying the hinges off/away from the frame, and you should have a stub of a screw/bolt still sticking out above the face of the frame...

then kinda start all over.. start by spraying the crap out of them with pb blaster or a good penetrating/release oil/product....

you can try grabbing the shank with vise grips, or carving a slot in them and turning them with a screw driver, or chisel, or heating the crap out of them, (red hot or close)..

or you can weld on a bolt to the exposed shank and then wrench them out... or easy out...

all kinds of options once you have stripped them out... but take this chance to try other processes on the remaining bolts... more heat, more oils, etc,, and see how many you can get out.

good luck
Unread Today, 04:45 AM   #6
glenn-91YJ

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've had some success with an impact drivers. For the ones that are really stuck and stripped, I've welded a nut onto it. The heat from the weld seems to really help and the nut makes it easy to turn with a socket.
impact-driver.jpg

0317011928.jpg

Unread Today, 06:42 AM   #7
Bigev

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Old school extraction. Took 2-3 minutes each one, I hate the torque screws on these jeeps.

I drilled the head off, then took a smaller bit and drilled into the center of the screw then inserted extractor.

Drill bits
Extractor
Vise grips
Patients
20140425_112243.jpg   20140425_133349.jpg  
Unread Today, 07:34 AM   #8
Anticanman
The Thunder Chunky

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I much prefer the impact driver to this method

But I didn't listen to those who suggested it and ended up with that^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
Listen to what the canman says. You don't have to take it all word for word. But at least listen to the man. He knows his ****. Its a no BS straight to the point realistic approach to things. You may not like it. But someday you might have an Anticanman moment. Like you just had. I know I have. Hell I had 2 last week.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.