stuck exhaust bolt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > stuck exhaust bolt

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 08-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
College94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

stuck exhaust bolt

I managed to strip the bolt in the exhaust manifold the goes through the flange on the exhaust pipe. Are these bolts welded into the manifold? I wanted to try re thread it but it's hard to get a die up in there and twist it. Anybody know the exact size and thread pitch of the nut? I could try a new one. Mines pretty trashed so its hard to tell.

College94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by College94YJ
I managed to strip the bolt in the exhaust manifold the goes through the flange on the exhaust pipe. Are these bolts welded into the manifold? I wanted to try re thread it but it's hard to get a die up in there and twist it. Anybody know the exact size and thread pitch of the nut? I could try a new one. Mines pretty trashed so its hard to tell.
They are not welded but yours are probably rusted solid
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

They go in the flange just like a wheel lug. Check for clearance in the heat shield and pound it out. Use some PB to help out. Going back in may be difficult but possible. You can get new ones online factory Chrysler parts or a Mopar site. If you need it I can look it up just ordered two last month.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
College94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So your saying its threaded in?
College94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

No threads. It is like a wheel stud. has the splined edges to keep it in like putting new studs in the axle.

You can actually remove them with the tap of a hammer. There is a clearance issue with the heat shield but you can move that using a screwdriver and hammer from below. Putting them back in could be difficult to get them to seat all the way but with astack of washers or a spacer you can get it done.

Here is what the shank looks like
stud.jpg

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Go here and look at #10 and #11 this is for a 2.5L MPFI engine exhaust manifold stud.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...driveLine=7143

These are dealer parts only and they are expensive at a delaer. You can get these in a week and they are correct.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.