was stuck in 4 low drove it for on the highway 60 miles! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > was stuck in 4 low drove it for on the highway 60 miles!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #16
tc90xj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

There is no way you went 60 mph in 4 lo and only turned 3000k rpm. it was 4High if anything.

tc90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #17
stu1021
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Even in 4HI it would be tough on the tcase on pavement for that distance. You must have felt it going around turns since the stock tcase set up doesn't slip.
'02 MBenz E55 AMG
'55 Piper Apache
stu1021 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #18
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

No way on earth you were in 4lo doing 60... your RPM's would have been through the roof, whether your tach was working or not that engine would have been absolutly screaming to get you to that speed. When I hit the sand dunes around where I live I beat the living hell out of my transfercase by leaving it in 4lo flying through gears with my TF999 automatic... 3rd gear hiting 35 was quite a task and my engine wasn't quiet about the situation either.

Good news is my transfercase survived the day, bad news is, I still love to put what's left of my stock equipment to the test! Still running 36" tires, 3.07 gears, and 8+ inches of lift with my dana 35... But dont tell anyone around here that there is dana 35 has lasted 2+ years with no signs of failing, one fluid change, sand in the tubes, and pushing 36's. ... According to overwhelmingly bad repuation of the turdy5 it should have blown up the moment I put the jeep in drive after installing the lift and tires haha.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #19
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Good news is my transfercase survived the day, bad news is, I still love to put what's left of my stock equipment to the test! Still running 36" tires, 3.07 gears, and 8+ inches of lift with my dana 35... But dont tell anyone around here that there is dana 35 has lasted 2+ years with no signs of failing, one fluid change, sand in the tubes, and pushing 36's. ... According to overwhelmingly bad repuation of the turdy5 it should have blown up the moment I put the jeep in drive after installing the lift and tires haha.
The only reason it's alive is because of the automatic.
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #20
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yeah there is no way iwas in 4 low but 4 wheel was engaged had to have been hi. finsihed some stuff up on it and took it for another spin tranny is slipping like crazy so im heading to a yard tommorow and grabbing another tf999 for 300$. should be a quick swap maybe i should just pull the engine too and get it cleaned up and painted. that means another week or so before i can drive it now! who would have thought a jeep for under 3000$ has problems....
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #21
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbmxseries1 View Post
yeah there is no way iwas in 4 low but 4 wheel was engaged had to have been hi. finsihed some stuff up on it and took it for another spin tranny is slipping like crazy so im heading to a yard tommorow and grabbing another tf999 for 300$. should be a quick swap maybe i should just pull the engine too and get it cleaned up and painted. that means another week or so before i can drive it now! who would have thought a jeep for under 3000$ has problems....
May be a silly suggestion but the TF999 is a pretty strong tranny, make sure you've got fluid in it lol. My TF999 slips like its been blown appart when the fluid gets even a little low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
The only reason it's alive is because of the automatic.
Please explain! I'm dying to hear a reason why that thing is still purring after what i've put it through lol. How does an automatic spare the spider gears the ravaging that most 35's take? I'm not being sarcastic at all, your the first person that's provided insight as to why I cant get this thing to blow up!
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #22
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

grab the transfer case while your there for a spare

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #23
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu1021 View Post
Even in 4HI it would be tough on the tcase on pavement for that distance. You must have felt it going around turns since the stock tcase set up doesn't slip.
its got 2 bad ujoints up front so even when i put it in 2 wheel drive i couldnt tell the differnce when i turned. Ive replaced them eairlier today and its smooth and quiet now.
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #24
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
grab the transfer case while your there for a spare
way ahead of you got one sitting in the shop! not sure if its the right one though....
the trannys got fluid... but when ever i move the shifter out of drive then back into drive it will work again untill i drive it for a few mins then it happens again. Tranny was just flushed like a week before i bought it, im guessing the previous owner was having issues too then. But you got me thinking i should drop the pan and see if theres any visual issues.
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #25
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

with an automatic you wont be able to see too much visually unfortunatly. Its worn fluid channels and clutch material that your dealing with, nothing thats too easy to spot without taking the tranny apart first. The only thing you can hope to "see" is whether the fluid is burnt up (black and smells like death)... Or if the bands need adjusting. There are big bolt looking things on the bottom of the tranny you can see after pulling the pan and you turn them to adjust your bands... A chilton or haynes manual will tell you step by step how to adjust them.

But 300 bucks is a pretty sweet deal for an automatic that is in working order, if you've got the money, 300.00 isn't a bad insurance price.
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #26
bigorangeyj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ive done 43mph in 4 lo. 33's 3.07's, and turning 4500 in fifth. it was on a dirt road between mudholes.
bigorangeyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 05:08 AM   #27
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i just want too see if theres any black or burned fluid built up in the pan. being that it was changed recently just looking at the stick it looks clean. and theres actually a few tf999 at some local yards for around 200-300. working condition Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market lets you search local yards.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.