Strong gas odor, where should I start looking? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Strong gas odor, where should I start looking?

USA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and AxleFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availab

Unread 07-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
BarryBum

Strong gas odor, where should I start looking?

My 95 YJ Sahara, 4.0, 5 speed has started recently having a strong fuel odor. It seems to be worse around the passenger door and rear qtr area. I have not seen any fuel drippings on the ground, forcing me to believe it could be a vent or something. Have any of you guys ran across this before or is this a common problem on YJ's? Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

BarryBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would check the charcoal canister on the drivers side firewall and also the filler neck and hoses on the drivers rear quarter panel. I know I had some pinched vent lines on my gas tank that caused some gas odors. The original hoses have a tendency to crack as well.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Right rear quarter is where the rollover valve is connected to the vent lines for the gas tank. Pull back the flap on the right rear corner and you will see 2 lines coming into the valve.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...iagram-800007/
Parts 19-25 in the diagram
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
MDonovan8
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you are still getting the strong smell after checking what Que89 suggested, drop the fuel tank and check connections there. That is where I found my leak.
Unread 07-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
clinkous
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Same Problem

1994 Wrangler 4.0l

I am having the same problem with fuel/gas smell.

I have droped the tank, there are two vent ports, one on each side of my tank. The left or drivers side goes to the canaster under the hood. I repaired the hose all the way up.

The one on the right had no hose on it, there was a tee in the hose going to the canister so I connected it to the tee.

I have replaced all the hoses to include the fuel filter hose and filter, filler neck.

I looked on the passanger side under the plastic and there is no role over valve nor anything for that matter.

I am still getting the smell.....Any other ideas?
clinkous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clinkous, you hopped someone elses thread and you havent finished filling out your profile. If you want help fill it out. Your system is not setup properly. The 2 vents should go to a T, then a single line from the T on the right side should connect to the rollover valve. That should go forward to the canister by the steering column. If you are not drawing down the vacuum from the Evap canister then you will get fumes. Check to make sure your vacuum lines are correct at the EVAP canister. If your rear body mounts are deteriorated enough it will allow the tank to get too close to the body and pinch the vent lines with the tank in place.
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
clinkous
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Okay....sorry about the thread hopping, im new and not sure what you even mean. As for the lines, as I stated I connected the two lines to the tee and sent them forward to the canister. I looked on the right side and there is absolutly nothing up in there. I even looked for some place to mount a roll over valve and there's nothing. I will fix my profile, are you sure the 1994 wrangler had a roll over valve on the passanger side or could it be somewhere else?
clinkous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thread hopping is riding in on someones post with your issue. You usually should try and post up on your own thread. Yes, it did have a rollover valve , but that isnt what is causing the smell. You put the 2 T lines together and ran them forward which should be good enough to get rid of the evap gas. You are either not venting correctly out of the gas tank (Pinched lines) or not drawing a vacuum (Evap not setup correctly) or maybe the 3rd possibility is a leaking gas line out of the tank or fuel filter.
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

These are post google search shows.
Click to View Search Results for site:www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12 rollover valve - Google Search site:www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12 rollover valve - Google Search

Tags
YJ , gas , leak

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.