Stroked 4.0 vs Grand cherokee 5.2 V8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stroked 4.0 vs Grand cherokee 5.2 V8

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Stroked 4.0 vs Grand cherokee 5.2 V8

Alright fella's I hope this can turn into a resonable debate without everyone throwing there ego's around. I will try not to be long winded . For a few years I have been collecting parts to do a 4.6 poor mans stroker. Over the years I have aquired a complete, with wire harness and computer '93 4.0 H.O. motor with 150,000 miles, and a complete 4.2 with unknown miles, both are in excellent shape. I wasnt planning on doing a v8 swap but I came across this complete "running" 5.2 out of a '93 Grand Cherokee for $150 guy wants it gone out of his shop, realized his project wasnt going to be worth the money he was putting into it. I have done a little research on this swap and still am slightly up in the air over all this. Im sure I can sell my 4.0 and 4.2 for $150 to cover the cost of the 5.2 motor, but it doesnt come with wire harness, nor computer. since I will most likely run my AX-15 I will need a dakota v6 bellhousing and a wire harness from a dodge truck with a manual trans, new motor mounts, exhaust and possibly new block hugger headers.

I will be doing all the work myself including the welding. I can make motor mounts or if they are cheap enough I can buy them from novak. my big hang up with with the V8 is can I just pull my motor and install the v6 bellhousing on the ax-15 and drop the 5.2 in there and weld me up some mounts or will I need to push it all back a bit requiring new drivelines and such??

Which would be my cheapest option?? Im sure the machining and such for the stroker will cost me some but I will make that up in the fact I wont have to change out any of my other drivetrain. I know being cheap isnt the best option for any swap, but what can I say if you know me or read my build thread you will see I am quit thrifty. some may ask why am I even considering this? doesnt my motor run that I currently have? well sort of... is the answer each day I drive it, it gets more and more sluggesh and knocks louder with all the money and effort I have put into my current motor in the last year I think its time for a change. its still gutless with 4.56 gears and my heavy *** 35" TSL's. Im not wanting you guys to tell me what to do, but if you have some experience in this department Please speak up!!

Unread 09-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i have some kind of stroker in mine, i haven;t broken it open to measure it but its not a 4.2. its fun, it spins the tires across the intersection, it tows like nothing is behind it, it is a lot of fun. BUT, for the gas mileage, i would rather have a v8. the best mileage i have ever pulled on this I6 is 15mpg (hwy only). normally, its 10-13 (combined city/hwy). i figure that if i am going to get that kind of mileage, i would rather have the roar of a v8 when i stomp the gas.
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

oh come on somebody has got something to say I went and looked at a 5.2 out of Grand cherokee tonight runs and its only $150. can I use a wire harness from a 93 dodge 1/2 ton with a manual trans and make this work?? Inm really leaning towards the v8 swap. I talked to a motor builder about the stroker and he said the only way to go is going to cost me 1k for all the machining and parts I know I can do the v8 swap for at leaste that. i have already sourced a ECU and wire harness from a 93 dodge truck from a junk yard for $120 bones and same place will sell me a v6 dakota bell housing for $75 bones so far its looking fairly cheaper than the stroker motor.
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
Fuzzy_Wuzzy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

For me the sound of a v8 pushes me that way. I have been debating doing a stroker or a v8 in a few years, and every time i come back to the V8. The v8 will have a greater potential if you want more down the road (although the 5.2 is not the most powerful v8).
Fuzzy_Wuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just my opinion, I'm sure somebody will come in screaming, but I think a stock engine will be much more reliable and long lived than one modified.
I vote V8, I just don't see strokers going for the long haul.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by czjeeper View Post
Just my opinion, I'm sure somebody will come in screaming, but I think a stock engine will be much more reliable and long lived than one modified.
I vote V8, I just don't see strokers going for the long haul.
Its yours and Moparfreaks fault for wanting to go with a V8 then this 5.2 just fell into my lap for the right price, I still havent bought the motor yet I want to make sure I get the wire harness bizz figured out first, but I made friends with the guy and he is even throwing in a horizontal kohler 13hp go kart motor for my kids kart project we are building.
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

This is from a stroker builder and owner. I run a 4.9 stroker in my YJ. It is however, a bit different then most stroker builds.

You don`t want the poor mans stroker. Dino is from the land of sand and his fuel is blended much different then our ethanol based stuff. He and I as well as a number of other folks over on jeepstrokers have debated this issue to death. Yes he did do a minor change to the poor mans recipe but it is still a compromise.

If your willing to spend the coin for the proper pistons and machine work then great. Otherwise I don`t think you will be happy.

My vote would be the 5.2 if your going to go the budget route.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
This is from a stroker builder and owner. I run a 4.9 stroker in my YJ. It is however, a bit different then most stroker builds.

You don`t want the poor mans stroker. Dino is from the land of sand and his fuel is blended much different then our ethanol based stuff. He and I as well as a number of other folks over on jeepstrokers have debated this issue to death. Yes he did do a minor change to the poor mans recipe but it is still a compromise.

If your willing to spend the coin for the proper pistons and machine work then great. Otherwise I don`t think you will be happy.

My vote would be the 5.2 if your going to go the budget route.
Thanks jsawduste, I was hoping you would chime in on this. yeah the stroker seems a bit of a challenge to do it right for cheap. my local builder said he has seen lots of guys use the stock 4.0 pistons and it just doesnt work and that he highly recomends that I get the right pistons for the job. I am pretty sure I am going with the 5.2 swap anyways. I havent shelled out the cash for this motor yet but I wil probably pick it up this weekend if he hasnt already sold it yet. now just got to get selling my 4.0 FI parts to help pay for this swap.
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Thanks jsawduste, I was hoping you would chime in on this. yeah the stroker seems a bit of a challenge to do it right for cheap. my local builder said he has seen lots of guys use the stock 4.0 pistons and it just doesnt work and that he highly recomends that I get the right pistons for the job. I am pretty sure I am going with the 5.2 swap anyways. I havent shelled out the cash for this motor yet but I wil probably pick it up this weekend if he hasnt already sold it yet. now just got to get selling my 4.0 FI parts to help pay for this swap.
Thanks for the kind words. Over on jeepstrokers is a thread of a guy whom had issues with his stroker. Gave up and finally dropped a 5.2/5.9 in his TJ. As I recall it was a pretty painless swap and he was very happy with the results. You might want to search the thread out.

Guy in our club did a 5.9 in his TJ and loves it.

But again his was a TJ that had OBD2 electrical. The YJ has OBD1 so it will be a bit more of a challenge but doable.

Darryl and myself can help you if need be.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post

Thanks for the kind words. Over on jeepstrokers is a thread of a guy whom had issues with his stroker. Gave up and finally dropped a 5.2/5.9 in his TJ. As I recall it was a pretty painless swap and he was very happy with the results. You might want to search the thread out.

Guy in our club did a 5.9 in his TJ and loves it.

But again his was a TJ that had OBD2 electrical. The YJ has OBD1 so it will be a bit more of a challenge but doable.

Darryl and myself can help you if need be.
Thanks for the offer and help I will read every thread I can to help with making this swap easier on myself. Like most its not the actual swap that scares me its the wiring but my father is an electrical engineer and can understand schematics real easy so he will be on hand to help with the wiring when it gets tuff. Thanks Guys. Just like with all my projects this swap will take me a while as I got a wife and kids that eat up most of my spare time ( not complaining ) but they come first so dont expect results in a few weeks more like months im excited to start a new adventure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.