stripped skid plate bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > stripped skid plate bolts

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-15-2011, 04:39 AM   #1
SwissK31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

stripped skid plate bolts

What's my best option to remove the bolts, without ruining the nutserts inside the frame.

Pictures of what I'm working with. The second picture is the spacer used to drop the skid plate.

SwissK31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2011, 05:06 AM   #2
Tongie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mine looked about like that. I figured they were going to be a ***** to remove so I heated them all up with the torch, then let it sit over night and with the pneumatic air gun they all came out pretty easily. I had also soaked them with PB Blaster for a couple days in advance. If I see any rusty bolts underneath, I spray it with blaster, even if Im not taking it out for any reason at the time. Seems to help retard the rust till I can remove it, wire brush it, reinstall it, and paint it. Or replace it if not grade 8 or stainless.
Tongie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It looks like the Allen Head is stripped so there's not much you can do.

Here is what I would do:

Drill a small holes in the frame right next to where the nutserts are and start spaying PB Blaster on them.

Go invest in a good quality drill bit (if you don't already have one) and drill the head off that Allen bolt.

Since you have the drop kit you will have plenty of bolt left to work with once the skid plate is removed. Grind two flat spots on opposite sides of each bolt so your vice grips will hold without slipping and give that a try. Maybe add some heat.

If that doesn't work I would weld a nut onto each bolt and get them off with a socket and breaker bar.

The longer you treat the nutserts with PB the better your chances of getting them out without stripping/breaking them.

Good luck!

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2011, 06:20 AM   #4
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Weld a nut to the head of that sucker or get ready to drill for a long time.

based on that rust, you should fully expect to break off your nut inserts, you should really plan on it happening.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
SwissK31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately I don't have a welder, so I can't go the easy way and just tac on a nut, or that's what i would have tried. Also why I hope the nutserts don't break off. If i go about drilling out the bolt head what size bit would I need?

Thanks for the help so far!
Unread 08-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissK31 View Post
Unfortunately I don't have a welder, so I can't go the easy way and just tac on a nut, or that's what i would have tried. Also why I hope the nutserts don't break off. If i go about drilling out the bolt head what size bit would I need?

use a bit smaller than the bolt head. but no so small it breaks easy. sometimes the heat/pressure relief of drilling will get the bolt out and save the thread. good luck, I hope it works out.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissK31 View Post

I would start with a bit slightly larger in diameter to the hole and keep going up in size until you fully drill the head off. This way you wont dull the ****e out of a bit. Buy a good set of Dewalt bits and go to town with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy85 View Post
I would start with a bit slightly larger in diameter to the hole and keep going up in size until you fully drill the head off. This way you wont dull the ****e out of a bit. Buy a good set of Dewalt bits and go to town with it.

I think he meant start with a bit slightly smaller in diameter...

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think he meant the Allen keyed hole on the bolt. It's easy to use as a pilot hole. It's just like torx, already centerpunched to be drilled out. I would PB the guy, then take a hammer and give it one good rap to loosen the rust situation and PB some more until you can get drill the heads off. Then grinder and vice grips as aforementioned. Then I would replace with convex washers and hex head bolts.
Unread 08-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think he meant the Allen keyed hole on the bolt. It's easy to use as a pilot hole. It's just like torx, already centerpunched to be drilled out. I would PB the guy, then take a hammer and give it one good rap to loosen the rust situation and PB some more until you can get drill the heads off. Then grinder and vice grips as aforementioned. Then I would replace with convex washers and hex head bolts.
Cha Ching, you got the idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
SwissK31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy68 View Post
I think he meant start with a bit slightly smaller in diameter...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Yeah, I figured that's what he meant.

I started on them today. for the hell of it I tried the other side I didn't strip yet( yet being the the key word) with the allen key and was able to get two out with little trouble, but rounded out the other one.
The only problem now is I don't have a drill with a big enough chuck.
Unread 08-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #12
Jones-Maryland
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Don't be surprised, but from the looks of that rust, once you get it off you may have rusted holes in the frame. Mine did, I had to cut it out the rusted section and repair the frame.
Jones-Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.