Stripped Hub Assembly Bolt - HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stripped Hub Assembly Bolt - HELP!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-26-2004, 08:18 PM   #1
CubanJeeper

Stripped Hub Assembly Bolt - HELP!

Ok. So I have read all the docs in the forum on how to replace the ujoints on the front axle. Seems pretty straight forward until you encounter those damn @#%&*#$ bolts holding the hub assembly to the knuckle.

I started with the right hand side. I began to loose them with a big rachet and seemed to have gotten them to unscrew about half way. Thinking I could get one side done before dark I tried to get them off (didn't try heat yet). I decided I would tighten them again and try tomorrow. I got 2 of them back in (the top one, and the forward facing one) The rear facing bolt is in such a bad spot that I managed to strip the head.

Has this happened to anyone before? I have bolt removing sockets that will remove it but trash the head and I'm thinking with the torque needed to move that thing I might twist the head on that puppy off.

I need some advice. This is my daily driver.

[b][color=red]Red Jeep Club Member #33[/color][/b]

Red 94 4.0L Stock 5-spd YJ - 106k mi
SteelHorse UltraTop Soft Top - Alpine Head Unit - 4x6 Clarion Plate Speakers (dash) - Pioneer 6x9s(rear) - 10" Advent Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure - SoundStream USA 180w amp - Cobra 29LTD CB - 5ft Firestick II antenna - Dual Air Horns - Restrictor Free
CubanJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2004, 08:51 PM   #2
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

try some PB blaster from both ends. let it soak in (careful you don't get it on the brake parts) and maybe try tunring the bolt in whichever direction it might want to go to get the oil into the threads deeper. then use the bolt removers. i'd use heat as the last option as you might hurt the bearing in the process.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2004, 09:10 PM   #3
Jeep Man

worse comes to worst, get a good set of vise grips on that bolt and make it as small as you can while still being able to lock it with your hand grip. You can probably still salvage it by pounding on the socket though.
Unread 08-26-2004, 10:14 PM   #4
CubanJeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal02
try some PB blaster from both ends. let it soak in (careful you don't get it on the brake parts) and maybe try tunring the bolt in whichever direction it might want to go to
For the other two bolts yes, but this one is stripped. Ican't tighten or loosen. Ironically, its the only one I tried the PB on. The planets are just not aligned for me today.

SteelHorse UltraTop Soft Top - Alpine Head Unit - 4x6 Clarion Plate Speakers (dash) - Pioneer 6x9s(rear) - 10" Advent Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure - SoundStream USA 180w amp - Cobra 29LTD CB - 5ft Firestick II antenna - Dual Air Horns - Restrictor Free
Unread 08-26-2004, 10:17 PM   #5
CubanJeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Man
worse comes to worst, get a good set of vise grips on that bolt and make it as small as you can while still being able to lock it with your hand grip. You can probably still salvage it by pounding on the socket though.
I thought about pounding a 12mm on it since the 13mm has obviously stripped it and hope that the 12mm will create grooves in the bolt to grab it. Not too much room to use a BFH on it either.

Unread 08-27-2004, 05:30 AM   #6
BamaJeeper

Try turning the wheels to gain better access to the bolt head. It works for me.
Unread 08-27-2004, 06:41 AM   #7
CubanJeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeeper
Try turning the wheels to gain better access to the bolt head. It works for me.

That would have been common sense wouldn't it? DAMN..why didn't I think of that!!!.. Not my first hub removal either.

When your tired and in a rush, common sense is inside watching the ballgame while you're outside cursing at a bolt.

This will definitely give me some more leverage but I still need to get that stripped bolt out of there.

I'm sure this has happened to someone on the hub assembly.

Unread 08-27-2004, 08:21 PM   #8
bwatsonxj

bolt removal

if you have acess to welder, can you mig weld a nut onto anything left. if it is not the head of the bolt that is the problem. take the other bolts out and grind the head off the offending bolt. hth
bwatsonxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 08:07 AM   #9
Oakey
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure to cleam the thread sticking out on the rotor side of the hub before trying to remove the bolts.... This will help out a GREAT deal if its really rusted around the bolts.....

Also make sure to use some good anitseiz around the hub when you reinstall the hubs to keep them from freezing to the spindle asm.....

Hope this help some....

L8R,

1991 YJ Wrangler Type S
My Mods: "Too Much for SOME & Not Enough for OTHERS!"
Oakey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 10:33 AM   #10
CubanJeeper

Progress...slow, but Progress

So I went in search of a replacement bolt before continuing and found out that those bolts are a dealer part. (Part #34201535). Dealer had 2 left so I bought em.

Got home, decided I wasn't going to take any more $#%# from this bolt and broke out my Craftsman stripped bolt/nut sockets. Tap the bolt with the closest size I had but couldn't get a good grip. Socket was smaller. I notice tho, that by tapping it with the socket, the head was splintering outward so figured that tapping the 13mm socket now would give it a better grip. The manual says these bolts go on with 75ft/lb of torque. Even with applying heat (my best friend now - thanks to those that recommended it) it took 150ft/lbs to get it out. Rust is evil.

After 2 hours of trying to get the rotor off, it took me about another 15 minutes to get the Jeep to give me its hub. It took heat and a BFH.

The problem is now the ujoint. Its about to fail, completely loose inside but I can't get it to budge from the yoke. I tried using my 6" Clamp with the socket trick..guess what? I managed to bend my clamp open..Thats how badly rusted its in there.

I got the $#%#$ soaking in PB Blaster right now, will hit it with more heat in a bit. If I can't bash this #$%#$% thing out of there, whats my next move?

Unread 08-28-2004, 11:10 AM   #11
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

keep beating. took me almost an hour using a 3 pound sledge to get mine to start moving. my vise just wasn't cutting it. even tried an air hammer to no avail. you did get the clips off the inside of the yoke right?

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2004, 02:00 PM   #12
CubanJeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal02
keep beating. took me almost an hour using a 3 pound sledge to get mine to start moving. my vise just wasn't cutting it. even tried an air hammer to no avail. you did get the clips off the inside of the yoke right?
Yeah, I beat all 4 clips out before I tried to knock the Ujoint out. My problem was I was hitting it with to thin of a socket so I was hitting it in the center of the cap. Once I went to a 3/4in. socket the #$%#@$ went down in 4-5 hits.

Ujoint was in REALLY bad shape. 2 of the caps had no needle bearings and the rubber seals that hold them in from the ujoint side were nonexistant on all four sides.

Thanks for all the help guys. If it wasn't for the rust it would be a 1 hour job. Tomorrow I tackle the left side. Can't today...I'm all out of beer.

Unread 08-29-2004, 02:27 PM   #13
CubanJeeper

Wow

I should have done these sooner. What a difference! I didn't realize how bad my steering/front end was until I but these bad boys in.

Left side was way easier than the right but I got it done. Thanks for all the help.

Next project, a new cat converter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.