Stretching wheelbase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stretching wheelbase

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Stretching wheelbase

Well fellaz (and ladies if you are watching),

I bit the bullet and ordered my BTF "extreme" fuel cell today. Should have it sometime next week. For those that don't know, the fuel cell is a replacement for the stock fuel tank. It is roughly half as deep(front to back) as the stock tank, allowing more room ( up to 6") to stretch the rear axle back. The tank bolts into the stock tank location, uses the stock fuel sending unit and filler hoses. I figured I would start the thread for those interested in this project of stretching a wheelbase using XJ springs. Here is to be my approach.

1. Comp cut the rear fenders. Should be able to do that this weekend. I'm sure I'll look nice and cool with comp cut fenders and stock wheelbase...lol.

2. Fuel cell and springs to arrive mid next week. Next weekend: Install fuel cell, XJ springs and move traction bar assembly back.

Notes about project:

First and formost...my wife is gonna kill me when she see's my rig with the a$$ end nearly cut off. This is my daily driver after all.

The gas filler hole will have to be moved up and toward the center on the fender to allow for the comp cut. We shall see.

I plan on using stock height HD XJ springs and my sagging 2" skyjackers up front. I have a winch on the front, and should be able to set the height in the rear by the location of the shackle mount and using extended boomerang shackles.

The traction bar setup is going to make me or break me on this project. Since I am extending the wheelbase, my driveshaft angle will be less. With that, I should be able to just move the crossmember for the traction bar back the required amount the leaf springs need. If not, then I will have to have a new, longer traction bar made to fit. Cross our fingers.

The extended brake line that I have was the longest one MORE had. I have lots of room for flex now. We will see in time whether or not it's enough for the increased wheelbase. My instincts say it will work without problems.

The rest i will deal with as it pops up. I'll update this post as I go through the project. The first pic will be of my current setup. As you can see, I have already removed the fenders in the rear preparing for the comp cut.

Helldorado Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
accord387

Good luck, your jeep is coming along fast
accord387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
z71offroader

good luck on the project! i have no doubt that it will look and preform well wen u have it completed
93 YJ- SOA, R.E 1.5" Leafs, Custom paint, 35x16 Boggers,15x10 97 series rockcrawlers. Diamond plated interior and exterior, Tera SYE/CV DS, Herculined Tub, Bestop, Warn Bumpers w/ 9.5ti, 8.8" rear, D30 front, both ARB's with 4:88's, Super 88, Posi-Lok, Alpine Stereo, Tuffy Security, Hella Fogs, ProComp Spots, and much more.

07 2500HD D-Max CC LB Black Ranchhand Bumpers, MBRP 5" Straight Piped Exhaust, Edge Evo, N-fabs, 305/65/18 BFGs on Black Motos, much more soon to come!

(Sold)03 Z71- 33x12 BFG Muds, American Racing Victor Teflons, K&N intake, Gibson Exhaust, Ranchand bumpers, Hypertech programmed, Hella Spots, 12" JL sub, and much more.
z71offroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
cmasfca

You're Jeep is almost the perfect example of what my Jeep aspires to be someday. Looking forward to more pics when you get the cell installed and axle knocked back. Keep up the great work!
cmasfca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
jeepin1995
1998 TJ Wrangler 

scott..... our jeeps are going to be identical..... i've had the same exact plans for at least a year now. i actually just got a welder set up in the shop at work..... might start on the front fenders next weekend or the one after. only difference is the top and side panel on my tube fenders are going to be aluminum and removeable.....i'm also gonna add a flare to them to help cover the tires a bit.

you are coming along great... and fast!! looks awesome.

BTW, that master cylinder came today. thanks again!!!!
Unread 09-12-2006, 12:14 PM   #6
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin1995

BTW, that master cylinder came today. thanks again!!!!
Your welcome.

BTW...here is what I am shooting for. Little photo chop

Unread 09-12-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
Ustabearenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Are you getting a BTF kit or extending it yourself? I am also doing the stretch, BTF comp corners, BTF tube fenders. Those should be on in a few weeks. The rear will be fun to move around, not as light as a 8.8 but should roll OK , The gas tank has already been removed and a 16 gallon fuel cell in its place, however the BTF is a GREAT alternative piece as I might have to be putting a back seat in mine again.
Unread 09-12-2006, 01:54 PM   #8
5.0YJ

are you doing anything to stretch the front axle also??? i ordered my BTF rear stretch kit last week and am still waiting for it to get here....i also got the exteded traction bar they sell....im gonna run it with 4" RE XJ springs and fuel cell it....i cant afford there bolt in cell so im gonna go with a cell in place of the seat for now
5.0YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #9
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustabearenegade
Are you getting a BTF kit or extending it yourself? I am also doing the stretch, BTF comp corners, BTF tube fenders. Those should be on in a few weeks. The rear will be fun to move around, not as light as a 8.8 but should roll OK , The gas tank has already been removed and a 16 gallon fuel cell in its place, however the BTF is a GREAT alternative piece as I might have to be putting a back seat in mine again.
The rear bumper/shackle mounts I am going to fab myself. I bought the fuel cell though.

I found a place locally that will make the radius bend in 3/16" sheet for the "comp corners." 150 bucks for the pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0YJ
are you doing anything to stretch the front axle also??? i ordered my BTF rear stretch kit last week and am still waiting for it to get here....i also got the exteded traction bar they sell....im gonna run it with 4" RE XJ springs and fuel cell it....i cant afford there bolt in cell so im gonna go with a cell in place of the seat for now
I have the front moved forward 1" with the MORE perches. Other than that, no immediate plans for a front stretch. I assume your going to run 42" or 44" tires with that much lift? Check on the btf website forums. There is someone there that has stretched using large lift springs....its outrageously large. I'm content with my 37's for now....so 1-2" of lift is plenty. Downtravel is your friend.
Unread 09-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #10
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

And so it begins......

Rough guess on wheelbase to come....

Case of the disappearing axle.....

Prepping for the hacking to begin....

Unread 09-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #11
Bradish
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'll be watching with most interest! Keep it up!

-Brad
Bradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 11:20 PM   #12
rbn1357

Will anything have to be extended? Traction bar, DS,?
rbn1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 09:22 AM   #13
biggreentj

keep it comming, lookin good,
and the to answer that question above the DS and traction bar will have to be lenghened.
Unread 09-22-2006, 09:36 AM   #14
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

looks like fun!
any thoughts on linking it while you have it all torn apart?

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 02:56 PM   #15
admar2

DOH! someone stoled your axle!

looking good, can't wait to see the finished product!

maybe I missed it, but what wheelbase are you looking for when done.

I'm getting ready to link mine. looking for 8-9 inches of stretch in the rear.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have a shop do it. I got what seems to be an EXCELLENT price to have it done. $1400 for everything setup, with bilstein 5100's and XJ coils in the rear. only thing I'll have to do is have the driveshaft lengthened.
admar2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.