Strange tap ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Strange tap ???

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 01-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Matt24138
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Strange tap ???

I have a strange tap. It's sounds like a normal valve tap except it taps a few times stops then taps again. Like tap tap tap tap nothing tap tap tap tap. It's on time constantly by that I mean the sound and silence are the same duration every time. It also taps constantly until it warms up. Not sure what's going on as this started about 3 weeks ago. Any ideas?? It's a 4.0 93. I am worried that I will need a new head soon. Hopefully it's a simple fix. Never heard a tap that stopped and started like this. Especially where it stays in time. Oil level is fine and I did an oil change. No difference.

()_) ()_)---)_)
Matt24138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
ColoradoYJ95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like a lifter to me. my dad's old explorer had a tap that was inconsistent but always in time like that, and my jeep has a lifter tap till it warms up as well. but, i'm no expert. just what it sounds like to me!
ColoradoYJ95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Probably an erratic lifter. Good chance you could go for years like that.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Matt24138
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Anything I can do to reduce or calm it down? I found a rebuilt head for 125.00 should I just swap it?
()_) ()_)---)_)
Matt24138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
incizion
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Im bringing this thread back from the dead. I have similar symptoms as described above. I get what I think is a valve tap when I start her up in the morning until she is warm. Any Ideas?

Thanks in Advance
incizion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
jbrown73
Live free or die

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hydraulic lifter noise. It's just taking a few minutes to get the oil pumped through the channels to 'self adjust' the spacing between the end of the push rod and rocker arm. Happens on older engines with a good many miles. I wouldn't let it bother you too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
The only thing I can say is to close your eyes. Seriously. If you close your eyes and pay attention to your finger tips, you'll be able to feel the nuts better and manipulate them easier.
jbrown73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
incizion
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the response, I didnt think it was a big deal but I wanted to make sure.
incizion is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.