Strange starting problem... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 12-21-2005, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Strange starting problem...

I posted about my original problem on here a few weeks ago...

Now, I am having another problem.

Here is what has been replaced/fooled with over the past few weeks.

Starter
Key Cylinder
Rack Gear Actuator
Battery

Now, here is the problem. The jeep will not start. I turn the key and it clicks, like the battery is dead. I hook up jumper cables and the jeep will start. Let it run for awhile and turn it off. Try to start it back up...nothing. Jump it again, and she runs. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-21-2005, 12:25 PM
jeeping.copm

charge the battery?
post #3 of 24 Old 12-21-2005, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

The battery is brand new and the Jeep ran for 3 hours the other day...plenty enough to have charged it.

post #4 of 24 Old 12-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Why J?

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the alternator took a dump and it is not charging the battery back up, or the belt is so loose that the alternator is not spinning. I have had that happen on an old Yota pick up. I'm suprised you havn't checked it. I believe you can take it up to the Zone, or Boys and have it checked for free

New Project "Pissed Wife"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 Old 12-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Clean battery cable terminals....right?

Obviously not enough juice getting to the starter. If you have the headlights on when you try....do they dim?

All wires and cable condition good??

Ground to engine clean and good??

Ground strap from engine to body good condition with clean contacts??

I know you've checked all of these things. I'm just thinking out loud.

Brown Dog Offroad

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
post #6 of 24 Old 12-21-2005, 01:26 PM
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure you clean the connection between the battery cables and the bolted on battery clamps, not just the clamp to battery post surfaces!

EA
post #7 of 24 Old 12-21-2005, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

LittleRed,
The alternator is spinning. I guess I will have to get it tested. Didn't know the auto stores would do that...

Brown Dog,

The terminals are clean. The battery cables and grounds appear to be in good shape. I think that may be my next step...to trace them and confirm that they are good. I appreciate the out-loud thinking...it is the way things get figured out.

EABiker,

I assume you are talking about the connection from the battery cable to the terminal clamp. They "look" good. Here is where my confusion lays....If any of these connections was bad, would the Jeep start when I jump it?

The only conclusion I can come to was the alternator....I am hoping it is not that, however.

Further thoughts?
post #8 of 24 Old 12-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The alternator does not come into play when starting. However....If the alternator had a live short and was drawing a bunch of power when you turn the key. Having said that, I can't offhand think of a fault that would cause that.

Brown Dog Offroad

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
post #9 of 24 Old 12-21-2005, 05:55 PM
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

definitely check ALL your connections. like Brown said, you're not getting enough amps out of the system to turn the engine over. check yout batt voltage across the terminals and then check it at the other end of the Pos cable. if you notice a big drop off then change the cable or try and figure out why you're seeing such a big drop. also, peel back some of the insulation on the wires. I've seen cables that look perfectly clean until you look under the insulation.

RIP: '88 YJ 2.5L Ax-5 NP231
Posi-Loked. Herculined. Optima yellow top. 1" Shackle, 2" BDS. Cragar 397's Aussie front.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
post #10 of 24 Old 12-21-2005, 06:22 PM
dcafaro

Check your starter relay mounted near your 4wd switch, make sure you're getting power to it. Also check to make sure your fusable links at the realay are not burned out.
post #11 of 24 Old 12-21-2005, 08:17 PM
Raindem
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My money is on the alternator and/or related wiring. Even a brand new battery can go flat very quickly if it's not being properly charged. With a perpetually weak battery any starting system imperfections will then be magnified and cause a no-start condition.

If it ain't broke... break it.
post #12 of 24 Old 12-22-2005, 07:28 AM
Why J?

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog
The alternator does not come into play when starting. However....If the alternator had a live short and was drawing a bunch of power when you turn the key. Having said that, I can't offhand think of a fault that would cause that.
You would be correct but if the alternator gave out last time he drove it the battery would then be dead the next time he tried to start it. Then after he got jumped the jeep would start but the battery would still not be getting charged so when he shuts it down and tried to restart it, it would still have a dead battery and wouldn't start. After having the battery tested to be ok, I would say the alternator took a dump.

New Project "Pissed Wife"

Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550

post #13 of 24 Old 12-22-2005, 09:19 AM
JFM626

2004 TJ Wrangler 

When you are jump starting another vehicle, and the cables are still attached you may be utilizing using the other vehicles ground system. Because your jeep starts when it is jumped; I would tend to believe that the connection from the positive side of the battery to the starter is good and, as you say, you have already removed the terminals and cleaned the posts and inside the clamps. At least I think that you have. That should effectively eliminate the positive side.
If you are sure your battery is fully charged, take your jumper cables and using only one cable, clamp onto the battery negative post and using the other end of the same cable clamp it to a clean shiny part of the block. Make sure the area you are clamping to is bare metal and that the cable(s) are not going to get hit by any moving parts. In this way you are providing a new path for the ground. If the jeep starts, then you will know that the problem is in the ground side wire or connections.
post #14 of 24 Old 12-22-2005, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal02
definitely check ALL your connections. like Brown said, you're not getting enough amps out of the system to turn the engine over. check yout batt voltage across the terminals and then check it at the other end of the Pos cable. if you notice a big drop off then change the cable or try and figure out why you're seeing such a big drop. also, peel back some of the insulation on the wires. I've seen cables that look perfectly clean until you look under the insulation.
I am assuming that a dirty/rusty cable would be a bad thing...
post #15 of 24 Old 12-22-2005, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcafaro
Check your starter relay mounted near your 4wd switch, make sure you're getting power to it. Also check to make sure your fusable links at the realay are not burned out.
Relay was replaced...I knew I was forgetting something in the original post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.