Strange Starter behavior - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Strange Starter behavior

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
jkazor

Strange Starter behavior

I have a 1995 4 cyl Wrangler that began to make exactly three brief successive grinding noises after it is started.

It is the same sound that one would hear if they tried to engage the starter after the engine was running, and the timing of these three grinds is the same each time I start the vehicle.

It appears to be an electronic issue where the vehicle doesn't know it is already running and tries to start itself, but as far as I know, a 1995 Wrangler never had that feature. And the vehicle is completely stock, with no electrical mods or upgrades.

To give you some additional background, I believe this behavior may be related to a repair I made immediately prior to the time it began. I lowered the windshield, removed the dash bolts and pulled it away from the cowl just far enough to replace the left front speaker. Although, I was pretty careful, I am sure this new problem is related to something I may have disturbed during the repair process.

I have since noticed that these three consecutive starter grinds coincide with three warning beeps. It appears that the PCM is is giving some sort of warning related to starting.

I have gone through the wiring in the general area but have yet to find the cause. Any ideas?

Last edited by jkazor; 05-29-2012 at 02:20 PM..
jkazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
87wheeler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

your starter connections could be loose causing it to make that grinding noise. Also how old is the starter? it could be that you may need a new one
87wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Warning beeps from the ECU? Do a video of it and post it up. The ECU or cluster doesnt have any chime. I need to see and hear to help.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grinding noise , starter

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.