I've been hearing a strange sound coming from the ole jeep and could use a little help narrowing it down. It kinda sounds like to me like a slight metal on metal sound when the 4wd is engaged.
1. All started, when the 4wd indicator light quit working and front axle would not disengage
2. checked and fiddled with vacuum lines
3. shifts out of 4wd to 2wd fine when on dirt ( front axle disengages )
4. Does not shift out of 4wd to 2wd when on the road. have to stop and put in reverse. ( sound and feels like still engaged )
5. I only hear the sound when 4wd H or Low is engaged on the street. sounds like slight metal on metal
6. does not make sound in 2wd
7 So i have a shifting in and out of 4wd issue ( gonna do a permi lock )
8. Concerned with that sound
Went to 1 mechanic and they said transfer case
Went to 2nd mechanic and they said front axle bearings
Went to 3rd mechanic and they said wheel bearings in the hub
Drained and replaced fluid in front differential and transfer case ( no metal shavings )
Any help would be appreciated.