Strange sound after replacing Slave Cylinder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Strange sound after replacing Slave Cylinder

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 08-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Strange sound after replacing Slave Cylinder

I had to change the internal slave cylinder on my '89 because it was leaking. Turns out my u joint was frozen too so that was changed.

Now when driving it I hear a sound down in the trans. It sounds very similar to when the Cat converter starts to go. Is this a problem or will the sound subside?

CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had/have issues with the slave cyl. I put in mine as well, it took me three to find one that works and about 50 miles in to it, it started making a howling noise unless I gently ride the clutch while driving. It's pissed me off enough that I bought a 4.0 and ax15 with external slave to do the swap over, just waiting for the pos to give up the ghost. Personally I see no good reason to put the slave in the bellhousing, other than to bring in more work to the dealerships when they fail..... It's amazing how little it takes to get me all fired up these days.
Don
Unread 08-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Turns out the starter was bad. I replaced it. Now the sound is gone. : )
CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, that can make a bit of a racket as well. I take it the Bendix wasn't releasing from the ring gear? Glad you got things sorted out with-out having to pull the trans again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.