Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Stories of amazing D35 survivals?

866 views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  MJMPC 
#1 ·
I always see people talking about how crappy the D35 is, and I DO NOT DISagree. But I have met quite a few people that have had them for a while on big tires and have had no problems. One guy in particular is at the tire place next door to where I work. He has a 350 in it, and a 4:1 kit in the t-case. All of this sitting on 35s. Ive seen his drop the clutch a few times on the D35 in 4LO and pull one of the front wheels and inch or so off the ground. Plus he takes it wheeling all the time. Hes getting some D60s soon, but hes been rocking the D35 with 4.10s for some time now with no problems.

Who else has some stories on the D35 handing more than it should and actually surviving?

#4 ·
I've wheeled a d35 in my Cherokee for a while now with 33's. I'm easy on the skinny pedal and haven't had a problem yet. Same with my last Cherokee with a 35 and 33's.

I'm going to wheel my new wrangler the same way. I don't climb rocks or anything silly like that. Just mild wheeling and some common sense.

#7 ·
I wheeled my D35 with 31's and locked for 6 years or so and I beat the crap out of it. Of course "beating the crap" out of anything is all relative depending on who you talk to. My D35 actually outlasted my locker. On top of all this I re-geared it myself and rebuilt it. I ended up chunking it when I went to 33's, my locker gave out and I toasted a wheel bearing.

On top of all that another member here who took it off my hands is sticking it under his jeep. There are 2-3 threads dedicated to just my D35. This is my amazing story.

#9 ·
My 88 YJ D35 has lived its life with 33's and 35's and I've never broken a shaft. I only recently upgraded to a Super 35 just for good measure.

#10 ·
That's nothing! I've rolled wheelies a good 100 feet with mine. I've tried doing equally good stoppies but think I have to upgrade my brake pads.

#11 ·
this one time I put 37's on my d35 and rock-hopped all the way through Sledgehammer, staying on my rear-wheels the whole time. i also DO NOT agree that the d35 is weak.

#13 ·
Well I'm in the process of putting a Dana 60 and 14 bolt under my YJ rite now but when I got it it the PO had 39.5X18x15 Boggers under it for 2 years with a 2.5 and welded D35 and he wheeled it to the max of the 2.5 and never broke a thing. 3 months ago I put a 350hp 415ft/lb big block Chevy and TH400 in it and I have pulled the front left tire off the ground and power braked it through 2nd gear on dirt and blacktop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.